Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-18-2015, 02:14 AM   #1
DeathShredder23

regarding stainless steel picks...

I know there have been threads discussing this, but I'm not worried about the tone of the actually pick...

I just wanna know if the pointy tip will ever file down on it's own like other picks, or if it'll last much much longer.

As a shredder, I personally wish all picks would never lose their sharp tip through the dulling process. Maybe it's just something that I will have to accept. I was hoping that things might be different though after trying stainless steel or bronze because the material is much denser.

What is your experience?

Last edited by DeathShredder23 : 01-18-2015 at 02:26 AM.
DeathShredder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:23 AM   #2
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

It will last much longer. I have owned one for years, and it has not lost its point.

In fairness, I don't use it like I used to because I switched to stone and carbon fiber picks- better grip, different tonal characteristics.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-18-2015 at 02:26 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:26 AM   #3
DeathShredder23

What about with wooden picks that have a nice jazz 3 tip as well?
Old 01-18-2015, 02:26 AM   #4
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathShredder23
I know there have been threads discussing this, but I'm not worried about the tone of the actually pick...

I just wanna know if the pointy tip will ever file down on it's on like other picks, or if it'll last much much longer.

As a shredder, I personally wish all picks would never lose their sharp tip through the dulling process. Maybe it's just something that I will have to accept. I was hoping that things might be different though after trying stainless steel or bronze because the material is much denser.

What is your experience?

they tend to go through strings a little faster(IIRC), and it makes it easier to scratch the lacquer on the front of your guitar.

i myself have found what works best for me, the jazz iii in carbon fiber, they last long and have a good grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
See what I mean by, "they demonised it"? Tim's attitude is typical of what they did to everybody. The media drove that sort of Disney shit into everybody's brain. Only old farts like me missed it in our formative years.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:27 AM   #5
jpnyc
Banned

I’ve been using two titanium picks (Epic Grip) for guitar for over a year and they’re still in good shape. But metal picks don’t hold up well playing bass; those big bass strings chew the tip off in a few months.
jpnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:58 AM   #6
Iron_Age
Custom Accessories

Exclamation

If any of y'all are interested in trying out some JazzIII wood picks,
I'm in the process of making some.

They got some nice grip on them, especially the coconut ones. These wood picks feel pretty light but are 2.7mm thick so they're comfortable to hold,
Clean crisp attack thats characteristic of a JazzIII too!

I think all picks eventually wear down with use, it just depends on the material.
As far as steel goes, I'd pick gemstone over it any day. Polished stone just glides over the strings while steel tends to feel alot more scratchy imo

Last edited by Iron_Age : 01-18-2015 at 04:16 AM.
Iron_Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #7
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

I made myself a stainless steel Jazz III and it never ever showed any signs of wear. My strings, however, needed to be changed once a month if I played often enough because I'd chew through the string windings.

If you want picks that will wear down very slowly check out the Dunlop carbon fiber Jazz III, Gravity picks or the Winspear picks Shiv IV. I've been using winspears for a while now, they are ultra low resistance material so they barely wear down even after a few months of playing. I've been on the same one for a month or so now and it looks brand new. Plus Tom Winspear is a stand-up guy, know him through sevenstring.org

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 M13
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
ISP Decimator G-String
TheStig1214 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #8
DeathShredder23

The thing is, I can't play regular jazz 3s cause the size of the pick is just too damn small.

I have to have a pick that is at least 2MM, which is why if all else fails I'll have to go back to the dunlop ultex sharps.

I bought a gravity pick and 3 months later the tip is already worn down. I love that sharp tip and want it at all times.

Maybe one of you guys could make me some sick picks for cash, or maybe you know a great pick maker?
Old 01-20-2015, 09:29 PM   #9
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Quote:
The thing is, I can't play regular jazz 3s cause the size of the pick is just too damn small.

I have to have a pick that is at least 2MM, which is why if all else fails I'll have to go back to the dunlop ultex sharps.

I bought a gravity pick and 3 months later the tip is already worn down. I love that sharp tip and want it at all times.

Maybe one of you guys could make me some sick picks for cash, or maybe you know a great pick maker?

That will make a 2mm Sharp-shaped stainless steel pick? The thing will weigh a lot. Like, probably at least 3 or 4 oz. Check out Dragon's Heart Guitar Picks. They claim you can play their picks between 1000 and 1500 hours with little to no signs of wear. Each pick has 3 points, one of which is like a Ultex Sharp.

When I said I made my own Jazz III picks I cut them with a dremel out of a stainless steel Ice Pix pick. Then took them to an emery board for about an hour to smooth out and dull the edges. More of a reshaping than an actual making.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 M13
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
ISP Decimator G-String
Old 01-20-2015, 10:00 PM   #10
DeathShredder23

Thanks for the recommendation but those dragon picks look like shit and I doubt it would feel comfortable in my hand. That three different tip scheme is ****ing stupid...

Do you know of any other custom pick shops besides gravity, v-picks?

I think I'm gonna try a winspear shiv xl thin.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:47 PM   #11
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation but those dragon picks look like shit and I doubt it would feel comfortable in my hand. That three different tip scheme is ****ing stupid...

Do you know of any other custom pick shops besides gravity, v-picks?

I think I'm gonna try a winspear shiv xl thin.

Just get the regular XL. I find the thinline to be very flex-y. More suitable for acoustic strumming. The regular XL is stiff as a board.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 M13
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
ISP Decimator G-String
Old 01-24-2015, 02:39 AM   #12
DeathShredder23

Yea but isn't the regular huge?

Remember, I'm used to playing a 2mm...
Old 01-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #13
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

It's not huge. Remember, the picks are tapered. So the area you hold is probably around 2mm. I find the tip on the slimline very flexy, much the opposite of a stainless steel or 2mm pick, which would be very stiff. You'll get used to the regular pretty fast.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 M13
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
ISP Decimator G-String
Old 01-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #14
dspellman

Quote:

Seriously, you don't spend a few minutes with a piece of sandpaper and sharpen your pick every now and then? I have a couple of Gravitys that have been around for well over a year. I clean them up with some fine sandpaper and we're good to go. It's a maintenance issue, like changing strings, oiling your fretboard, cleaning the DNA sludge off the guitar, polishing the frets.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:57 PM   #15
DeathShredder23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
Seriously, you don't spend a few minutes with a piece of sandpaper and sharpen your pick every now and then? I have a couple of Gravitys that have been around for well over a year. I clean them up with some fine sandpaper and we're good to go. It's a maintenance issue, like changing strings, oiling your fretboard, cleaning the DNA sludge off the guitar, polishing the frets.

No man I never thought of that. I've only ever heard of people using sandpaper to finish necks, or to add grip to picks...

It sounds pretty easy to do. Just a simple filing type job, right? Any specific grit that I'll need?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #16
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Seriously, you don't spend a few minutes with a piece of sandpaper and sharpen your pick every now and then?

Never thought of that. Don't know that I will do it, but there's definitely nothing wrong with the idea, especially if it is a pick you really like.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #17
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig1214
That will make a 2mm Sharp-shaped stainless steel pick? The thing will weigh a lot. Like, probably at least 3 or 4 oz.

I highly doubt that. I play steel guitar. The tone bar I use is made of stainless steel. It is roughly the size of a Jazz III in terms of width. It's a bit over 4 inches long, which works out to probably about 100 millimeters gave or take. It weighs about 12 oz, bit less maybe. So the thickness of a 2mm pick would be about 2% of the length and therefore about 2% of the weight, so a bit less than .24 oz.

Obviously that is all approximate, but still accurate enough that I would safely say that a 2mm stainless steel pick would not be more than half an oz.

That's just my two cents though.

Edit: Come to think of it, stainless steel is actually less dense than copper and nickel, which they use in coins. So if you figure that a quarter is about the same size as a pick and about 1.75 mm thick, a quarter should be roughly the same weight as a 2mm stainless steel pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
write 3 page long posts with the wrong opinions until people who don't actually read here or know anything about music theory promote you

worked for 20T

Pats killed McNair

Now you have no excuse...

Last edited by theogonia777 : 01-25-2015 at 07:45 PM.
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:32 AM   #18
DeathShredder23

Thanks for the info. Now I just need to find someone who will make me a stainless steel 2mm....
Old 01-26-2015, 01:55 AM   #19
dspellman

Quote:
No man I never thought of that. I've only ever heard of people using sandpaper to finish necks, or to add grip to picks...

It sounds pretty easy to do. Just a simple filing type job, right? Any specific grit that I'll need?

Nothing special, and no specific grit (I use a fairly fine one, or even one of the wife's emery boards). Only takes a few seconds. I normally use fairly thick stubby style picks (Big Stubbies if I have to buy them, Gravity Razers in 2 or 3mm)
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: