Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-24-2015, 01:46 AM   #1
Gibson_LesPaul_

Guitar Cables: My Verdict On Tone

Unfortunately, I cannot post photos at this time because file dialogs have not been working on my PC.

Cabes I have tried (and have owned, some stuffed up like the Klotz, mostly due to overuse):

Lyric by Evidence Audio
George L
Mogami Platinum
Van Den Hul by Lava
Klotz Titanium
Planet Waves Circuit Breaker
Canare GS-6

Van Den Hul was better than the Mogami Platinum, but only just. It was slightly clearer and of a better build quality. Both the Mogami and Van Den Hul beat the Planet Waves and George L, and the Klotz was better than all of them. Second best was the Lyric. Third was the Van Den Hul.

Why?

The Mogami Platinum is really balanced and bright, it is 'punchy' in its tonality. But it just felt lacking, and it was a little too 'bright and punchy' for my liking. It was the most quiet cable in my comparison. Certainly a unique and great sound.

The Van Den Hul was better quality than the Mogami Platinum, and you didn't really have to play through it to tell. The connectors are metallic and better soldered. The rubber even felt better. This cables highs and lows were better than the Mogami, but it had a lot of depth and bass on the low end. It still sounded better to my ears however.

George L's: Man. Annoying cables. I bought one pre-built, but the connectors kept faulting out. I had rebuild the cable quite a lot of times. These cables only come with warranties on the plugs, not the whole cable - meaning that each time it faults out you have to cut the cable and screw on the plugs. Talk about irritating. They also weren't as durable as the Mogami Platinum and the Van Den Hul.

Planet Waves Circuit Breaker:

Solid and durable, but lacking in tone in comparison to the other cables. The circuit breaker is useful though when you want to remove the plug from your guitar, and I can see it being useful when switching guitars.

Lyric by Evidence Audio:

One of the best cables I have ever heard. The only flaw was that it sounded somewhat less refined, and dull in comparison to the Klotz - you would have to play both to understand. The highs and lows just weren't quite as clear as the Klotz. Undecided between whether or not the Klotz is better, or whether this is better.

Klotz Titanium:

Survived being stood on, having a cymbal fall on it, and being rained on from inside a guitar gig bag. Great tone.

Canare GS-6:

One word: Dark. Didn't like the tone. It was too dark.

For those curious as to how much I spent on the cables altogether, I would say it was around $900.

EDIT: Actually, listening back on a few recording I did through a clean amp, I am undecided between whether I prefer the Lyric or the Klotz. Both are phenomenal and very different, I reckon it would depend on the application.

Last edited by Gibson_LesPaul_ : 10-24-2015 at 02:07 AM.
Gibson_LesPaul_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:44 AM   #2
jpnyc
Banned

jpnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
SHOOTOUT!
UnBanned

Hi Gibson Les Paul!

The emotions and situations you experience with guitar cables are not uncommon.

Why?

1. The sound of a guitar cable with passive pickups is the result of length x capacitance per unit length. Few cable sellers let guitarists know what they are buying...

2. The longevity and handling qualities will be down to manufacture methodology etc. Much money spent on advertising, little thought to construction method.

Perhaps this will help ease your pain a little...

http://www.shootoutguitarcables.com...troduction.html

A little physics and common sense I feel goes a long way.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Marc.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
SHOOTOUT!
UnBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnyc

Count me in if 'cork sniffing' means to try and make sense of an industry full of snake oil! ;O)
Old 10-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson_LesPaul_
For those curious as to how much I spent on the cables altogether, I would say it was around $900.

All I have to say is "why?"

and.... this belongs on TGP
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
02' Dean TC Z

Amps:
EVH 5150iii
Orange Rockerverb 50 mk1
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
Peavey VTM 60
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:21 PM   #6
dspellman

My cables are (currently) all hand-made of Canare cable (not sure which specific cable type at the moment) and Neutrik ends. Absolutely NOT "dark."

Last edited by dspellman : 10-24-2015 at 11:48 PM.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:28 PM   #7
mmolteratx
UG God

lol
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:37 PM   #8
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
lol

My thoughts as well.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #9
AEnesidem
controversial since 1993

Sounds like a lot of placebo here.
Custom power amp
Homemade 2x12 (celestion V30 + G12H creamback)

HORSES BLEW FIRE (My band)
AEnesidem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #10
Vulcan

No placebo. The capacitance of the cable has a dramatic effect on the degree of attenuation of high frequencies, and different brands of cable have very different capacitance. The cheapest brands tend to be very high, causing a muddy effect. There is a very good reason that pedal steel players use the thin George L cables - they are among the lowest capacitance cables you can get, preserving the highs. Longer runs exaggerate the high frequency attenuation.
Eastman AR605e
Eastman El Rey 1
Godin ACS SA ltd. ed.
3 Monkeys Orangutan head & 2x12 cab
THD Univalve

Last edited by Vulcan : 10-25-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #11
AEnesidem
controversial since 1993

In that case! I'm going to try it
I actually figured the quality only improved the clarity of the signal.
Custom power amp
Homemade 2x12 (celestion V30 + G12H creamback)

HORSES BLEW FIRE (My band)
AEnesidem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:59 AM   #12
Vulcan

Even my wife could hear the difference the first time I plugged in with an Evidence Audio Lyric HG. It's far too stiff for daily use - I use other EA cables that are more flexible, but it sounds very good. If you want an eye-opener, and you have a George L pedalboard kit, try using the cable provided as a guitar cable before you cut it up. A/B it along with something cheap (the braided cloth Fender I have measures the highest capacitance of all my cables), and be prepared for a surprise.
Eastman AR605e
Eastman El Rey 1
Godin ACS SA ltd. ed.
THD Univalve
Old 10-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #13
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

I've had this argument with a recording engineer once. He refused to record me unless I used all of his super expensive high quality, "far superior" leads. Not that I really cared, or thought it was a big deal, it just bugged me how he tried to make me feel like an idiot for using any kinda cheaper lead, because apparently they sounded like complete shit.

I know there's a lot of factors that affect the results of a recording, but I thought it was pretty funny that when switched studios and my guitar were tones being recorded using all my cheap ass yorkville leads at the 2nd studio, my tone sounded a lot clearer. I'm not arguing that in doing an A/B recorded test that you wouldn't notice a very slight difference, I just argue that in a band/live/maybe even at home setting most people would never be able to tell the difference; unless you go to an extreme where you're using say a 100ft super cheap lead.
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
02' Dean TC Z

Amps:
EVH 5150iii
Orange Rockerverb 50 mk1
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
Peavey VTM 60
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #14
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnyc

A lot of this going on in this thread.
Please understand how little we as a community care

T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:33 AM   #15
Vulcan

Darned if I can find a post I made on another forum regarding an actual test I did on various cables in my possession (capacitance vs listening impression), but as I recall, the Yorkville cables tested rather well in terms of capacitance being very close to that of Mogami. Definitely a good value.
Eastman AR605e
Eastman El Rey 1
Godin ACS SA ltd. ed.
THD Univalve
Old 10-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #16
Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
A lot of this going on in this thread.

Obviously you've either never taken the time to find out for yourself, or your hearing is quite damaged. I was very skeptical for years until I tried an EA Lyric for the first time. Anyone who dismisses the effect of good cabling as mere cork-sniffery needs to try sometime with open ears.
Eastman AR605e
Eastman El Rey 1
Godin ACS SA ltd. ed.
THD Univalve
Old 10-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #17
slapsymcdougal
UG Bored King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan
Obviously you've either never taken the time to find out for yourself, or your hearing is quite damaged. I was very skeptical for years until I tried an EA Lyric for the first time. Anyone who dismisses the effect of good cabling as mere cork-sniffery needs to try sometime with open ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson_LesPaul_

Everyone else here can think of better things to do with that kind of money.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #18
Vulcan

$900 is over the top to make a cable decision. I'm a proponent of good value as well as quality. The Yorkville cables mentioned above (made in the Traynor factory, btw) represent very good value, and I have many of them in use in my house.

You don't need to spend $$$$ to find a good cable, you only need to be aware that there are profound, audible differences between them. Those differences are mostly audible in the higher frequencies, and are related to the total capacitance of the cable.
Eastman AR605e
Eastman El Rey 1
Godin ACS SA ltd. ed.
THD Univalve

Last edited by Vulcan : 10-25-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #19
diabolical

Well, I uses to work in a studio and we cut our own cables, Mogami with Neutrik connectors, and honestly this crazy cable connoisseur douchebaggery is pretty much just that. If you're crazy enough to spend that kind of cash I wonder what the rest of your signal chain looks like.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:40 PM   #20
Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
Well, I uses to work in a studio and we cut our own cables, Mogami with Neutrik connectors, and honestly this crazy cable connoisseur douchebaggery is pretty much just that. If you're crazy enough to spend that kind of cash I wonder what the rest of your signal chain looks like.

So, in other words, your studio used some of the more expensive cables on the market...

Whether you realize it or not, there is a reason most studios use Mogami, and they aren't cheap, although buying in bulk and assembling them is certainly cheaper and allows runs to be optimized for length (avoiding waste and clutter).
Eastman AR605e
Eastman El Rey 1
Godin ACS SA ltd. ed.
THD Univalve

Last edited by Vulcan : 10-25-2015 at 01:42 PM.

Rate This Thread: