Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-16-2014, 05:42 AM   #1
Nikon87

Amp Buzz

Is it normal for an amp to have an amount of buzz to it? I recently bought a used Valveking 212 from GC, used, and even without the guitar plugged in, there's a low frequency buzz. Also, when the reverb is turned up there is another buzz that comes in.
Nikon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:53 AM   #2
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Hey

Free bump day.

The short answer is that most amps have a certain amount of buzz to them just sitting there. Buzz can come from lots of places and can sometimes be hard to nail down. I used to own a Valveking but your issue is not Valveking specific. I guess it depends on how loud or prominent the buzz is.

Some factors that may cause excessive buzz (on a tube amp like yours) might be

*Grounding issue. Hard to nail down but try the amp in a different room or different house.
*Guitar grounding issue. You said it buzzes without a guitar but a poorly grounded guitar will make it worse
*Bad preamp tube(s). Swap the preamp tubes and/or buy a few more and swap them in and out.
*Bad power tube(s). Less likely but you try new tubes or swap the positions of the power tubes
*Interference. This is a big one. Somewhat related to grounding but florecent lights, cell phones, tvs, radios, squirrels, etc can cause this too - especially if you have a microphonic preamp tube.
*crappy speakers - the Valveking has crappy stock speaker. Less likely.
*cables. check em'

I made this - it might help

Old 04-18-2014, 01:16 AM   #3
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Some factors that may cause excessive buzz (on a tube amp like yours) might be

*Grounding issue. Hard to nail down but try the amp in a different room or different house.
*Guitar grounding issue. You said it buzzes without a guitar but a poorly grounded guitar will make it worse
*Bad preamp tube(s). Swap the preamp tubes and/or buy a few more and swap them in and out.
*Bad power tube(s). Less likely but you try new tubes or swap the positions of the power tubes
*Interference. This is a big one. Somewhat related to grounding but florecent lights, cell phones, tvs, radios, squirrels, etc can cause this too - especially if you have a microphonic preamp tube.
*crappy speakers - the Valveking has crappy stock speaker. Less likely.
*cables. check em'

I made this - it might help

listen to the man

i also owned a VK (head) its not the quitest amp, pretty loud and hissy in comparison to the average.

for example,

i can near dime one of my splawns and there is just a very faint hiss. cheaper amps use lower quality parts what certainly have setbacks. valve kings are't bad amps, but not perfect.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:29 AM   #4
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Yeah, my Splawn is almost dead quite unless I put it in Gear 3

Hiss and buzz is relative.

If it is overly buzzy I start with preamp tubes and grounding issues.

Rate This Thread: