Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #2641
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz

I've only ordered pedals from them, but they came in massive boxes (5 times the size of the packaging of the pedals) stuffed with air cushion packaging. Delivery was very quick. Mind you that was only delivery from Germany to the UK, I'd imagine it would be different shipping to Australia.

I'd recommend you contact them once you order to change the shipping company to anything other than DHL. While my delivery was quick, DHL never bothered to update their systems and took 3-4 days to reply to enquiries
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
BlueIceBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #2642
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I have a Vypyr 15 and I was wondering if I can upgrade it to a 12" speaker, or is the amp voiced for an 8"? I have read that some people upgrade to a 10", but I have a 6505+ 112 12" speaker lying around, I just need to build a cab for it.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #2643
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ I think the issue with the 15 is the fact that you can't get a 12" in there can you?

Oh - you mean run it into a 112 cab? I think it would improve things immensely. I seriously doubt Peavey tweaked all the parameters on the 15 just to make it voiced more different than the others. That would be way too much work.

Wait - is there even a Ext Speaker Cab Out on the 15?
Old 08-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #2644
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Plasic Bat Wing (fangs) Removal project:

There are 4 screws on the inside that hold the bat wings/fangs on. One of those screws is hard to reach due to a transformer (at least on the Vypyr 60).

Therefore, I had to remove the chassis - which was fairly easy and I wanted to take some gut shots anyway (see next post).

Take out the power tube cage, power tubes and speaker. There are 4 smaller screws along the base of the chassis and 4 long screws that are fed from the top.

Here is a shot of the 4 short screws along chassis ^
And then the longer screws that hold chassis in from top v

With the chassis out I can access this '4th' screw much easier

Then I measure for and drilled holes for the Peavey logo. I didn't think it would look right without that.

Then I installed some blue LED lights

Here is the final product. Much better imo.

I ran out of room so I'll post a few more pics in the next post along with the gut shots.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 08-28-2012 at 10:31 AM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #2645
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Here is a Family (money) shot.

Not sure what to do with the bat wings (fangs) now

Gut Shots:

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 08-28-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #2646
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ I think the issue with the 15 is the fact that you can't get a 12" in there can you?

Oh - you mean run it into a 112 cab? I think it would improve things immensely. I seriously doubt Peavey tweaked all the parameters on the 15 just to make it voiced more different than the others. That would be way too much work.

Wait - is there even a Ext Speaker Cab Out on the 15?

There's no cab out, but I made one.

Actually, i did a lot of research, and it turns out that peavey does voice the vypyrs differently depending on the model. And there is even a way to select which voicing you want to use, but I can't do that without a firmware update(which the 15 is incapable of).

There is a mod that can be done, I can't remember if it's unlocking stompboxes or adding a homemade foot pedal, which automatically switches the voicing to the 30 watt model. People don't like this because the 30 watt voicing with an 8" speaker reduces the bass significantly.

Also, I've decided against upgrading to a larger speaker. I tried it with my 6505+ speaker(the one in the amp), and it sounded ok but I lose the tight response I get with the 8" speaker at low volumes. If I wanted to play at higher volumes, I would just use my 6505, so it defeats the purpose of having a small amp.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #2647
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz

I've heard that you can keep the 15w voicing by installing a home made foot pedal which allows you to switch to presets which use the stompboxes without installing the 30w firmware.

Does anyone know of a mod which allows you to bypass the cab simulation when using the line out port?
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Old 08-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #2648
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^^

^

Very interesting guys. You are way ahead of me

Sorry if I came across a know it all. You guys obviously know more than I do. I can't believe Peavey actually tweaked each amp voicing. That is really impressive actually.

W4RP1G - I may have seen your post about the extension jack on the peavey.com forums no?

As far as bypassing cab sims and such I'd tell you to go to the peavey forums. I seriously doubt anyone on UG has that level of knowledge.....outside of W4RP1G.

Edit: See my defang and gut shot pics up above
Old 08-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #2649
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Defang is the only way to, especially on the tube line. It's such a good amp, the cheap plastic fangs are so cheesy.

I haven't posted anything on the Peavey forums, but that's where I get all of my info. Those guys know a lot!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIceBox
I've heard that you can keep the 15w voicing by installing a home made foot pedal which allows you to switch to presets which use the stompboxes without installing the 30w firmware.

Does anyone know of a mod which allows you to bypass the cab simulation when using the line out port?

The thing about that, is without installing the leds so you know which stomp box you are on, the stompbox mod would suck. I mean, you could install a simple rotary switch into a, external box, then I believe it's just a matter of wiring it into a few places and jumping a wire, but honestly I would sooner just buy a used 30 watt for $100-120 on CL and have a better interface and midi support at my disposal.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #2650
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

sweet

Here is AcousticMirror's (Mins) assesment of the tube Vypyrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
heh love the tube circuit board for the peavey vypyr.

it's 50 percent stuff that's better then whats in most boutique gear and 50 percent stuff that most builders advertise as the hot shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
ya if you start from the top down on this

http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/...UD/47c6730d.jpg

small resistors are probably xicons
yellow tube caps are mallories which is what stateside builders use when they aren't using sozo or orange drops
big pink resistor is either a koa or a panasonic. Koa is more likely.
all the big electro caps are panasonic or IC or nichicon
there are snubber bypasses on all the major power supply nodes.
there's a bunch of small capacitors that are standard on the higher end japanese maxon pedals.
It's all USA or Japan for the most part.

that's a lot better then say like the recent dr z stuff which has been using a ton of samwha and lelon and other korean and chinese shit.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 08-29-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #2651
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz

I'm going to get another amp soon, and I thought I may aswell keep my Vypyr 15 as there's pretty much no point selling it I saw on the vypyr forum someone installed an XLR port on the vypyr and the sound quality through that was brilliant (lets face it, the audio out is hardly 'studio quality' as it's advertised).

I might do this myself in the future but I was wondering, if I was to connect the vypyr via the XLR port to my PC, would I need a preamp to boost the signal? I'm asking this because I've tried connecting a few microphones that use XLR with a 6.35mm to 3.5mm connector to my PCs sound card and the signal was barely audible.
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD

Last edited by BlueIceBox : 09-15-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:47 AM   #2652
romeozdistress

the eminence alpha 8 sounds a hell of alot better than the stock speaker. got mine with a gift card. im enjoying it. bass response is incredible. you can slo get the jesen mod 10-50 if you want a 10 inch instead.
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:48 AM   #2653
romeozdistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Here is a Family (money) shot.

Not sure what to do with the bat wings (fangs) now

Gut Shots:

very cool!
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:49 AM   #2654
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Here's a great and simple Vypyr 30 power sponge mod that I thought I'd share. I did it myself(you can see my gut shots 3 pages in), and I'm glad I did it.

And here's a pic of my Vypyr 30 with that mod and my replacement handle, and a pic of the back after I closed it off;

Old 11-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #2655
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Just did another mod from this thread. It's basically just a speaker output that shuts of the internal speaker when something is plugged into it. I did it just for the hell of it, but it was also necessary in my case since I closed off the back of the amp and couldn't access the speaker jack that'd I'd already added. This way I can use any 8-16 ohm cab that comes my way.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #2656
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Ok, here's another mod that I figured I'd show a few pics of. I was always annoyed with the rubber feet on the bottom of my Sanpera I pedal. They are unnecessarily tall, imo. I wanted the pedal to sit as low to the ground as possible, but I removing the feel altogether made it slide around the carpet.

I was going through a drawer and I came across a package of rubber feet that I'd purchased from Lowe's or the Home Depot at some point(not sure why I bought them). They are half the height of the original feet but much wider, both of which makes more sense to me. They happened to fit with no hassles, except for the 4 corner screws for the cover plate. I could have left the screws, I'm sure it would have been fine, but I just went ahead and removed them anyway. Definitely much better now.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #2657
Daveyy666

How come there's so much hate on Peavey Speakers?
Daveyy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #2658
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Ok, I don't have time to read this thread. Based on youtube videos and sound clips on the Peavey site, I can't tell a difference between the tube models and the solid state ones. What am I missing? Or is solid state really that good now?
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #2659
Surf1975

Yesterday I scored a Vypyr Tube 60 with Sanpera 1 pedal for $200 bucks. Had to drive to San Diego from Orange County to get it, but damn this thing sounds so good! And I haven't even really learned to dial it in yet! Isn't there a Vypyr settings thread around here somewhere?
Surf1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #2660
Surf1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowofravenwo
Ok, I don't have time to read this thread. Based on youtube videos and sound clips on the Peavey site, I can't tell a difference between the tube models and the solid state ones. What am I missing? Or is solid state really that good now?

Probably just the recordings. I have a Vypyr 15 and just picked up a Tube 60. The difference is night and day to my ears. Granted this is my first tube amp, and I've been playing for less than a year, but jeez louise! To me it just sounds perfect, so much richer and more depth. I'm gonna go play it again.
Surf1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: