Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #21
Horlicks
Banned

Looks like the amp Batman would use
Horlicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #22
dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredx
I as the same as dungeon was about to get a cube, when I heard about these little nifty things. I'd prefer the 30 watt vypyr for the stompbox effects. But would it be easy enough to carry around in 1 hand, with my guitar in the other and school stuff on my back? This is my main question about it tbh

some guy mentioned that this amp is really heavy and that he wouldn't like to have to carry it around
Bad Monkey
dungeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #23
mcrfobtai
Hates mcr, fob and tai

I played the 30 watt. Thought it was decent, but a little overwhelming with all the effects and models. I did NOT like the high gain models. But some of the lower ones were pretty good. Lower wattages are woth it for a practice amp but the larger $600 ones are useless.

Buy my Classic 30!
mcrfobtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #24
Shredx
Inuendo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeon
some guy mentioned that this amp is really heavy and that he wouldn't like to have to carry it around

yeah I saw that, but just to make sure I emailed Musician's friend for all the dimensions and stuff. It is heavy, I was really surprised and disapointed. Looks like the 15 watt for me :/

https://benpinkusmusic.bandcamp.com/album/to-the-sky

Gear:
Suhr Modern
Schecter C7 Blackjack
Jackson DKMG
Fender Light Ash Strat
Faith Hi Gloss Venus
Shredx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #25
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker
Do the 60 and 120 have ALL tube poweramps? Can they achieve tube breakup?

This makes more sense than a tube preamp and solid state poweramp like other hybrids...

I posted this last night in another thread. I believe it has 1 power tube. I also heard that the 60 and 120 hybrids are not shipping yet like the others. ??

---------------------
I believe it is the 60 and 120 watt versions that are the Hybrid ones. If I remember correctly they were the two have a gold face plate vs all black. has an MG look

says: Real 6L6 tube power

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Page-3....vey+amps&ipp=15

i hope they do well and help peavey's presence at GC for example.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #26
The Neighbor of the Beast

The complexity seems a bit much.
The Cubes are so simple and sound great.
I would like a comparison between the 30's.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #27
Cobain_Is_King
How Soon is Now?

Hows the '6505' model?
Old 08-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #28
thefrigginbob
Frank

I honestly don't like the 6505 model that much, but I don't like the real thing.
I much prefer the Rec, XXX and Dzl models.

These amps are not as complex as everyone seems to think. I pulled it out of the box and was able to figure everything out within 5 minutes, the controls are actually pretty genius...

In terms of weight the 15 has almost nothing to it, its pretty bare bones... The 30 is not much heavier at all, its definitely do-able to carry it around with one hand.

I have a small problem with mine though, on the clean models there is a faint metallic buzz when I strike the strings. Anyone else have this? Seems like a defect to me, but thats to be expected with such a cheap amp

As a comparison to the cube. This thing BLOWS it out of the water... I owned a Cube 60(actually pretty much 1 year ago!) and for the price I liked the cube just fine. I really only liked the r-fier and brit model on the cube, the vypyrs models are much more versatile and usable. The effects on the cube are lacking, the only control you have over them is level... on the vypyr you have 2 parameter controls. Many more effects, better distortion, 2 modes for each amp model and banks to store your settings make it a step above in my book.

Cant say compared to the Vox Valvetronix, I haven't played one.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #29
thefrigginbob
Frank

I decided to sit down this morning and really tweak with this thing.

So far I have made it pretty clear on how I think it sounds. So here are a few problems I have with it so far.

I believe mine has a speaker connection problem resulting in a bit of a buzz when picking a note on a clean amp setting.

The knobs feel a little cheap, they turn easily.

Switching delay and reverb on and off is a pain and you can't do it on-the-fly(myabe with the foot switch you can)

Considering how cheap the amp is I would expect them to cut costs somewhere, with this amp it seems like construction isn't as solid as the cube(which is a flippin tank!) but I don't see it breaking unless you are rough with it. I really like the high gain models on here, the 6506 sound MUCH better through headphones btw...

If nothing else its fun to play around with!
Old 08-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #30
endless_fight1
Official Dropout

I wonder how the higher watt ones sound. Has anyone tried one?
Old 08-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #31
dungeon

anyone else to comment the sounds? I'm interested especially on the high gain sounds since I was going to get a cube 30x and now im confused
Bad Monkey
dungeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #32
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeon
anyone else to comment the sounds? I'm interested especially on the high gain sounds since I was going to get a cube 30x and now im confused

There's no reason to be confused. These amps are just hitting the streets so true reviews from people playing them and reporting on it are still pretty rare. Reviews on the big sites that sell them will always be good.

This Thread will grow I can assure you.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:47 PM   #33
bjovi400
UG's Sarcastic Private

Location: On a US Government military installation blowing shit up
i wanna kno more about how they sound cranked
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is ****ing nuts"
bjovi400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #34
thefrigginbob
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
There's no reason to be confused. These amps are just hitting the streets so true reviews from people playing them and reporting on it are still pretty rare. Reviews on the big sites that sell them will always be good.

This Thread will grow I can assure you.

Yeah, when I went to pick mine up at guitar center they were very surprised I even knew it was out considering they only got them in a few hours before I came in.

You have 2 options
Wait for more people to buy it
or
Take a risk and just get it

I mean I had no idea how it would sound but guitar center and almost every music store has a return policy. It's not like you are stuck with what you bought.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjovi400
i wanna kno more about how they sound cranked

Mine sounds like **** when cranked, it clips and gets noisy. It gets pretty darn loud before that though.

The power-tube models may sound better but I didn't see any at guitar center and I don't think they are out yet. Even with a power tube it isn't going to sound better when cranked, unless you push it really hard you probably aren't going to have power-tube break up. At least to my understanding...

Last edited by thefrigginbob : 08-20-2008 at 05:00 PM.
thefrigginbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #35
Cobain_Is_King
How Soon is Now?

I'm curious of these but I'm still holding out until I hear reviews on the all tube ones.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #36
danyellenik

if it has better tone than the AD30VT clips in my profile, I'll sell my valvetronix and buy it, to have a small amp around the house.

Check my profile, and tell me if it sounds better than that

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
danyellenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #37
Weavel33
UG's Weavel33

Sounds clips?=/
Weavel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #38
thefrigginbob
Frank

What kind of sound clips do you guys want? I'm not a great player but I cant at least give you an idea how it sounds. It would take a while to do all the models...

Give me a little while and Ill see if I can put something together, First one I'm thinking of is a comparison of the high gain models.

This amp really sings through nice headphones, the speaker on it isn't great. Also on mine i figured out what the buzzing sound was... the grill is uneven and part of it is tucked underneath and its metallic, which causes a buzz... I will probably just exchange it for a different one, but its not a big deal right now.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #39
Weavel33
UG's Weavel33

Yeah, the high-gain stuff is what I'm interested in...I'm considering getting the 75W model...
Weavel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #40
danyellenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrigginbob
What kind of sound clips do you guys want? I'm not a great player but I cant at least give you an idea how it sounds. It would take a while to do all the models...

Give me a little while and Ill see if I can put something together, First one I'm thinking of is a comparison of the high gain models.

This amp really sings through nice headphones, the speaker on it isn't great. Also on mine i figured out what the buzzing sound was... the grill is uneven and part of it is tucked underneath and its metallic, which causes a buzz... I will probably just exchange it for a different one, but its not a big deal right now.

learn acdc / have a drink on me, so we can compare it directly to my vox ad30vt clip in my profile

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
danyellenik is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: