Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #81
Brownie2

Deuterium has pretty much sold me on this amp. I'm gonna go to my local store and see if they have it. If not I'll just buy it online.
Brownie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #82
endless_fight1
Official Dropout

I just tried a 30 watt one at Guitar Center. IMHO it's a piece of crap. But it's still better than the spider
Old 08-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #83
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyellenik
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/danyellenik/music/

The clip is in there, so people don't need to download it

Thanks for doin' that!

i'll check it again later. When I tried it out of your profile it got hung up at :20 and then sounded like it just went into repeat mode. Then froze. Then Vista shut my browser for UG down. Probably too many people trying to access at same time, so i'll try again later tonight.
from what i heard tho it sounded good. - congrats thefrigginbob!
I am personally not interested in this amp but I am interested in how well it does overall.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #84
Slayer566
UG Fanatic

I like the sound of my tech 21 alot better
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Slayer566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #85
bjovi400
UG's Sarcastic Private

Location: On a US Government military installation blowing shit up
does anybody know how much those ridiculous looking pedals are gonna cost?

oh and since i havnt been able to play on it, and i find one of the high gain amp models on it the best for my style, with the Sanpera I, can i preset the same channel twice, one with no reverb, and the other with reverb? that way i could use the first channel for rhythm then the second for leads?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is ****ing nuts"
bjovi400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #86
The Neighbor of the Beast

I was messing around with the 15w @ GC. I was working it @ the lowest usable volume (at the level I play @ midnight above my tenants bedroom.

The controls were kind of chinsy. All in all for $99 it was pretty good tho - a bit sterile (more so than the Cubes), but what low end modeler isnt? The EQ worked really, really well - much better than the Cube 30. The pre and post gain controls are kind of cool. The rectifier model sucked, the XXX was pretty good.

They could have made the 15 a bit smaller IMO - like the MicroCube.
I like the MicroCube and Cube 30 distortion better (more boom) - but that's because for the simplicity, they sounds awesome. I'm sure I'd be able to dial in something that was just as good on the Vypr. I'm going to pass because I don't really need all the other stuff. I have the Roland double pedal for my Cube 30 and it's all I need (switch channels and chorus). If you need effects, Id say go for it.

If it was MicroCube sized, I might have bought it (I traded up to the Cube 30, but I miss the tinniness).

I cant compare anything to a Line6 because I never bothered with those.

Last edited by 667 : 08-21-2008 at 09:57 PM.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #87
thefrigginbob
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjovi400
does anybody know how much those ridiculous looking pedals are gonna cost?

oh and since i havnt been able to play on it, and i find one of the high gain amp models on it the best for my style, with the Sanpera I, can i preset the same channel twice, one with no reverb, and the other with reverb? that way i could use the first channel for rhythm then the second for leads?

The Sanpera I is $80 and the II is $180

Im pretty sure you can do what you want with the II but I'm not exactly sure..

EDIT:

Quote:
The Sanpera II footswitch allows the user to remotely control virtually any feature of the VYPYR Series modeling amplifiers, and increases the preset storage from 12 in-amp presets to an astounding 400 programmable presets. This controller features dual, assignable expression pedals with tap switches, dedicated tap tempo and looper control, as well as footswitches for accessing presets, preamp "stompbox" effects, post-amp "rack" effects, delay and reverb. The Sanpera II is housed in a roadworthy and rugged cast-metal casing and features high-quality metal switches.

Yes you can do it on the II, doesn't say anything about preset switching on the I. You can do it without the footswitch but you have to press a button on the amp.

Last edited by thefrigginbob : 08-21-2008 at 10:31 PM.
thefrigginbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:29 AM   #88
E V H 5150
Dream Cruiser

I played the 75W at my local music store. I was just looking at the guitars, when I look down and see the Vypyr just chillaxing there, so I ask an employee if I could try it out.

So, I grab a Peavey HP Signature EXP from the wall, and plug it in. It makes a weird noise when you start it up, the employee told me. I was told it was just the noise gate or something like that. And it did sound like a noise gate was adjusting. So, apparantly the 75W has a built-in noise gate.

I played throught the 6505 model, and it sounded pretty good. I didn't really spend a lot of time adjusting the EQ but it still sounded good. The cleans were really clean, all the distortions I tried sounded very true. Same with the effects. I didn't hear any unwanted noise with the built-in noise gate.

I thought everything sounded great from my playing around with it. I spent about 30 mins with it. I stopped to just buy a pack of strings, but you know how it is going to music stores. You can't just see a new product there and not feel the need to try it out.

I liked the sound of the Twin setting, I believe it was. The cleans on it reminded me of a Fender. Maybe not exactly like a Fender, but it was very clear. And when I went into overdrive mode with it, I could get a very good blues tone from it. The JSX sounded pretty good, but when I dialed in a good chorus tone, it had a Satriani quality to it. The high-gain models were pretty good, but I think I would probably end up using it for more Van Halen, GNR, blues tones than anything metal if I end up getting one.

It's definitely worth something checking out, and for the price it's a great thing. I'm actually considering selling my Blues Junior and ME-50, if my parents will let me sell it.
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90

Last edited by E V H 5150 : 08-22-2008 at 07:38 AM.
E V H 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #89
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Good review there E V H. Thanks for the input.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #90
dungeon

anyone knows when its going to come out in europe?
Thomann says 30.09 but I still hope there's some mistake
Bad Monkey
dungeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #91
bjovi400
UG's Sarcastic Private

Trivium talkin about the Vypyrs
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Old 08-23-2008, 12:39 AM   #92
captainoid
UG Newbie

Does anyone have any info on the 15W model? Like a Canadian release date, or what it has for effects?

EDIT: Never mind, I got it. This thing looks like sex with a speaker, as far as SS amps go.

Last edited by captainoid : 08-23-2008 at 12:42 AM.
captainoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:45 AM   #93
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjovi400

Trivium talkin about the Vypyrs

I'm not a huge Trivium fan necessarily but thanks for posting that.

Did Herman say he would consider using it in the studio or was that just a Peavey plug?

Old 08-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #94
Invis

Quote:
Originally Posted by peavey.com
One 12AX7 and four 6L6GC tubes

for the 60w model

source
style: Thrash,Melodic Death, Metalcore, Neoclassical Dark Wave,
Invis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #95
Horlicks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by invis
for the 60w model

source

How does 4 6L6=60 watts?
Horlicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #96
bjovi400
UG's Sarcastic Private

these really are 'tube' hybrids then...

One 12AX7 and four 6L6GC tubes...this thing might sound badass when cranked...

i was under the impression they were only going to have one 6L6...

edit: this is probably just Peaveys way of keeping up with the Bogner Spider Valves
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 : 08-23-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #97
Deuterium2H

If you are going to be using the amp for just a grab and go practice/rehearsal amp...then I would recommend you check out the TransTube (solid-state version) Vypyr 75 or 100. I think you will be surprised by just how tube-like this amp sounds. Don't get me wrong, my main amps are all tube...but for a quality practice amp, the Vypyr sounds, plays and interacts like a real tube amp. Peavey really has come a long way with their TransTube technology. I believe this is their 3rd generation, and it SMOKES. If you are going to be playing medium to low volumes most of the time, then you will want the TransTube version of the Vypyr. The tube versions of the Vypyr are more for gigging and will be a bit better in their high volume response.

John Fera of Peavey even posted on the Peavey forum that he felt the TransTube Vypyr's were better suited for medium-loud to low volumes, whereas the tube models (60 and 120) would be slightly better for very loud volumes. He did note, however, that their analog TransTube technology emulates the highly non linear characteristics of tube amps better then a digital solution in five key areas:

1) Accurate emulation of the saturation characteristics of the Output Transformer, and the it's interaction with the amplifier and the speaker impedance. This saturated transformer acts like a dynamically changing bandpass filter.

2) Asymmetrical clipping in each gain stage, which produces second order harmonic distortion

3) Accurate modeling of bias shift: An overdriven vacuum tube produces a dynamic and varying (depending on the input signal) amount
of BIAS SHIFT in this “overdriven” condition.

4) Accurate reproduction of voltage sag in the power supply

5) Frequency selective variation of damping factor (resonance and presence) and negative feedback

All I know is that Peavey's latest generation TransTube technology, as realized in the Vypyr line, does a great job of reproducing the signature characteristics of a tube amp, especially in terms of tone, feel and response.
Deuterium2H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #98
Kenit
Final Coercion!

Is the 100W any good? Because I'm still looking for a decent 100W amp to use for band practice, and we do have a loud drummer...

Edit: We play mostly Trash, Melodic death and some deathcore aswell.

Edit 2: I just saw the ValveKing(R) 212 Combo. I know its not part of the Vypyr series, but is it any good/better than the Vypyr?

You just single-handedly caused an entire future generation of people to be flushed down the toilet.

Good job, TS.

Last edited by Kenit : 08-24-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Kenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #99
Deuterium2H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenit
Is the 100W any good? Because I'm still looking for a decent 100W amp to use for band practice, and we do have a loud drummer...

Edit: We play mostly Trash, Melodic death and some deathcore aswell.

Edit 2: I just saw the ValveKing(R) 212 Combo. I know its not part of the Vypyr series, but is it any good/better than the Vypyr?

Totally different animals. I own both the Peavey Vypyr 75 as well as a Peavey ValveKing 100 head. The Vypyr is a great modeling amp that I use for practice/rehearsal. It is just a great, all around plug and play amp. It has all the necessary effects built right in to get a great tone right out of the box. It also sounds and feels like a real tube amp. I prefer the Vypyr's all analog TransTube technology compared to the digital modeling amps that are in the same category and price bracket.

The ValveKing is, of course, an all tube amp. It is a great amp, and represents serious "bang for the buck". If you are in a band, and are gigging out, then the ValveKing is the way to go. With that said, I still own both, because I see the value of having a small practice amp (the Vypyr) that I can use for moderate to low volume playing.
Deuterium2H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #100
Kenit
Final Coercion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterium2H
Totally different animals. I own both the Peavey Vypyr 75 as well as a Peavey ValveKing 100 head. The Vypyr is a great modeling amp that I use for practice/rehearsal. It is just a great, all around plug and play amp. It has all the necessary effects built right in to get a great tone right out of the box. It also sounds and feels like a real tube amp. I prefer the Vypyr's all analog TransTube technology compared to the digital modeling amps that are in the same category and price bracket.

The ValveKing is, of course, an all tube amp. It is a great amp, and represents serious "bang for the buck". If you are in a band, and are gigging out, then the ValveKing is the way to go. With that said, I still own both, because I see the value of having a small practice amp (the Vypyr) that I can use for moderate to low volume playing.

Yea I thought they were different. And I think I'd need a minimum of a 100W, and since my budget is about 700Euros ($900-1000), both seemed to be good for me. Also, are there any good Peavey half stacks which may fall in my budget?

You just single-handedly caused an entire future generation of people to be flushed down the toilet.

Good job, TS.
Kenit is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: