Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Electric Guitar Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-01-2004, 12:48 AM   #21
SV300
Ex-Floydoylogist Mod

Re: Jim Dunlop GCB-95 "Custom-J"

Inspired by StreamLine, I got out, and bought a brand spanking new bone stock GCB-95 (Revision G) to play with.

Name of Item Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby (GCB-95) 'Custom-J'

Who It Is Made By Jim Dunlop USA. Altered by me

Features A pedal that you rock backwards and forwards, that goes "wah" when you rock it backwards and forwards

Cost Around $90USD for wah and resistors (Dunlop products are a ripoff in my country )

Style of Music It Fits Too many

Why You Like It Doesn't sound like any other commercially available wah, solid as a brick, and I love it

This pedal, is still a work in progress. Whilst Phase I of the modifications are complete, Phase II will follow on in the future.

I've been researching Crybaby mods ever since I started wanting to buy one, and have always had quite a good idea of what I would want and what I wouldnt. I followed some of the mods on this page. For 3 resistors, at USD$0.06 each, the result is amazing.

The problem with the stock GCB-95, as I found, was that it just sounds weak overall. Like nirvanaozzie stated, too much treble, no mids, no bass. I knew what it was going to be like when I bought the damned thing, but it was worse than I imagined. So I set out on the mods;

1. Rotate the damn cogs on the wah pot. Having a rig that's a bit on the bright side, having an overly trebley wah was the last thing I wanted. I simply took apart the damn pedal, rotated the cog on the pot shaft 1 or 2 notches to the bass side, so my sweep ended up more bassy overall. Sounds a bit better than stock sweep area imho. Can be overdone though - I've had it TOO bassy and its not much fun (mud, mud and mud)

2. 100K "Vocal mod" resistor. DEFINITELY recommended. Sounds real nice and smooth now, a lot more complex and vocal when compared to the 33K resistor that was stock. A big improvement imho.

3. 270ohm "Gain and Bass response" resistor. This change from the stock value of 390ohms was definitely an improvement, and got rid of the problem with the crybaby sounding thin. Makes it thick in all the ranges.

4. 1K8 "midrange" resistor. Replaces stock 1K5 resistor. Smooths out the bass/treble transition a tad, and gives the wah a little more fatness than the 1K5. Sounds fuller all around, which I like.

Now, compared to the stock crybaby, the Custom-J wah sounds a LOT better imho. Thicker, bassier, and generally richer; exactly what I wanted. For the few cents that I bought the resistors with, it was definitely worth it. Fairly different to Stream's wah, but its good in its own right

Phase II is planned right now, and it will consist of True Bypass operation, RI Fasel Inductor, and maybe a 100K Bourns linear pot (not a big fan of the weird taper on the Hot Potz, too abrupt for my taste). I'm experimenting with stripping the finish and polishing the whole damned thing too

Pic's of the modded guts UPLOADED! All resistors that are blue/turqoise in color are not stock. Put a fresh battery in the sucker - it sounds great
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2004, 01:12 AM   #22
SV300
Ex-Floydoylogist Mod

Name of Item: Carl Martin Rock Drive

Who It Is Made By: Carl Martin

Features: Modded TS-9 based circuit, symmetrical clipping, part of the mass produced lineup of the very nice Carl Martin effects line up, 9V-powered. Was told by a SD forum regular who actually works for Carl Martin/East Sound Research that this is the VERY close to the Hot Drive 'n' Boost, but the HDB runs an LM-something chip, whilst the Rock Drive runs a slightly inferior Motorola chip. Garunteed to whoop a TS-9's ass Runs a 2 band EQ (+/-20dB on both bands) as opposed to the single 1 band tone control on the majority of other pedals, so you can tailor your tone exactly to what you want it to be.

Cost: HKD$560, equivalent to USD$70. However, the cheapest I've seen em online from a company who distributes to the USA, was $132 (here!). MF retails some of the Carl Martin line, with the 9V series running at $140USD. You've got it bad

Style of Music It Fits: Lots. Use it in a clean amp for a classic rock crunch. Use it to boost a tube amp for heavy fricking metal (ie, what I use it for)

Why You Like It: For me, it was a boutique quality pedal (even though its not handmade, the construction inside is VERY good - see attached image) for a non-boutique price. I've compared it to the TS-9s and the SD-1s, and imho, the Rock Drive eats em both for breakfast. To me, the Rock Drive just sounds more natural, and the 2-band EQ gives it a lot more tweakability than other pedals (ie, in my case, I cut treble, but boost the mids), and like advertised, it does NOT dominate your amp's natural tone. It stays on in my rig 90% of the time, as I use it for a higher gain rhythm tone (2 12ax7s arent enough for my liking) And for $70, it was a steal If you want any more info, PM me.

And heres the pic of the pedal's guts. Very neat PCB layout, and even though I don't know jack about electronics, the components used in them look quite high end. Only gripe - plastic jacks wear out after a while, so the nuts on the jack are fairly loose, but I'll find a way to get around it.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2004, 06:06 PM   #23
Asomodai
Bitter UG Veteran

Shred tone Special

Heya guys, i just got fromlondon after visiting Roman ((Streamline)) and we had a very fun time, We went to denmark street , i have been looking for a new distortion to replace the one i currently have on my boss me-30 for something a bit more decent. perhaps for 80's shred tone.

We went around a few of the shops. We came across one of these.

((Warning this is not a distortion pedal, this a booster for a disto/overdriven tube amp))

I was scepitical and so was roman about how good this could be, i have a thing about signature gear, it just seems so... marketed. But considering the unit is only 55 i thought it would be best to try it out.

Went to the sound proofed room and plugged it up to a orange valve amp with my EC-36 shred guitar. i strated playing through it and it sounded like YJM it really did! im not kidding it sounded so damn close. with a bit of decent reverb anyhow.

Anyway after fumbling around a little, i let charles ((Romans freind)) and roman to show what the pedal can really do , and proceeded to show off in irritating and down right fascinating set of runs. I promptly walked out with the unit.

Adds just the right amount of compression, punch, distortion with added clarity and drive. Don't need to crank your tubes to get a great tone. Cranking your tube amp is one of the joys in life right? It sounds even fuller, bigger, ...hotter without being perverse. Even skeptics of bass muddiness or midbass slop don't have to worry. You may think it can be muddy but amazingly, there is just to much mid dynamics cutting through the mix. Your fingers will find them going for articulated ascending and descending runs with some wicked vibrato.

This Really brings out the hollar of your preamp tubes, if you have crappy tubes it will probably sound crappy. If you have super clean, good gain tubes, the dirt will shine. Dynamics are brought out by this pedal but combined with just the drive you need to push, push, push those preamp tubes,... it's like adding another gain stage into a tube preamp section.

This a welcome addition to any great tube amp, can "only make things better" as the maestro himself would say.

Later on in the day we stopped off into another shop. and we saw this.

D -1 Akai Shred-O-Matic
I was quite sceptical because of the rather cheesy and blatent name of Shred-O-Matic, me and roman had seen these on ebay for sale.

So roman persuaded me to try it at least. and when i did. my god :O fantastic tone and settings.

It has a built in tube for the tube disto and it also has ss disto for the out and out thrash metal tones.

This pedal just oozzes ((play me i sound great when shredding with )) The two other options are "passion and "smooth"
basically when you play gently, on the these modes, it has the tube sound on. sounds lovely and warm and cranked, and when i start playing harder and picking harder it turns to the ss disto for the heavy heavy stuff. Great fun and option. the passion and smooth modes are just different times on how quickly the type of distortion moves from one to the other.

This pedal has "Shred" in the name. To maintain note clarity bass is intentionally restricted to avoid fartiness and bluring when playing fast or with complex chords. The majority of distortion pedals do this including the Ibanez Tube Screamer, Boss DS-1 and most of their other distortions, etc.

It seems to like British voiced amps (Vox, Marshall, etc) and Celestions more than Fenders with Jensens. The tones in any amp I've used it in are useful, and tasty. I like a rig with several distortions, and this one is unique and very useful.

There is nothing more subjective than distortion. What you may like, I may hate and vice versa. And often, a distortion that sounds great in the bedroom alone, sounds lousy or gets lost in a band. A distortion that sounds bad soloed in the bedroom may cut and be perfect in a band setting.

Although it looks plastic its all metal constuction is excellant. It is built like a tank.

I bought the pedal after bringing up the money for the shred o matic ((thanks for forking out half roman , thats mah bd present ))

Apparantly charles who was also with us was dead jealous that i did get the shred o matic Seriously guys i cant rate this high enough.,
if you need to compare it with another pedal. this is basically a shred version of the mesa v twin ((Which i have also tried out. ))

Rob
Ovation Magnum 1
Old 05-09-2004, 06:05 PM   #24
~Rock~Guitarist

Ibanez CS9 (Original, Vintage, not re-issue)

Features speed and width controls

Paid $59 on eBay

Fits almost any kind of style, not sure about metal though. Sounds best for psychadelic style music imo.

This is a great chorus. I have read countless reviews on this item and it has never gotten a negative mark. I must say I agree with pretty much everybody has said about this item in other reviews. The width and speed controls gives the guitar a resonant sound, and thicken the sound as well. This is great because I have a Fender Stratocaster and the tone is comparibly thin compared to other guitars. Also, the chorus gives the bass strings on the guitar a very eerie sound. The chorus sound is great for classic rock tones and is truly crucial to thickening and deepening the sound of your guitar. You can't get a super heavy chorus from this pedal, but it still sounds great. This pedal adds virtually no background noise or hum of any type. Overall, a great buy.

Btw - Ibanez recently made an exbortitanly priced re-issue of this pedal. It costs $120 - twice as much as what I paid and I purchased the original! I recommend buying an original off of eBay instead of purchasing the re-issue.

this is a picture of the re-issue, because I dont have a digital camera, but the two look exactly alike.
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Fender Road Worn Player's Telecaster

Last edited by ~Rock~Guitarist : 05-13-2004 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:17 PM   #25
sithian476
I prefer da white gold.

Name of Item: ZOOM 606 Guitar Multieffects Pedal

Who It Is Made By: ZOOM

Features: This guitar comes with a variety of patches built from the 35 different effect types that you can tweak with a pretty much WYSIWYG interface. A lot of the patches have many different distortion styles, wah-wah, reverb, flanger, etc. It has 3 different amp models and 5 different modeling effects. Most of them sound really good. But there are also a couple that are probably totally useless. They sound horrible, like a diseased alien that just wants to die. The built-in tuner can be accessed by push down both of the selector pedals and it is very responsive and accurate. Definitely beats the $20 Boss Tuner I bought a while back. The side pedal allows you to manually change the effect in real time, such as the Wah. Zoom Noise Reduction reduces some buzz from distortion. All of the patches are easily editable to suit exactly what you want.

Cost: $100. I'm sure lucky I got this for free when I bought my Ibanez.

Style of Music It Fits: Everything, since it covers a WIDE array of different effects.

Why You Like It: This pedal definitely covers all the effects I'd ever want. And they sound pretty damn good too. Definitely beat out built-in amp effects but if you just want a high-quality, good distortion, go with a seperate pedal since this is mainly a fancy toy. Only problem I've had with it so far is that the jacks are starting to come a bit loose. And I wish it has an automatic shutoff feature after a certain period of time without a strong signal coming through since I have to replace the batteries every time I forget to unplug it.

Click here for a much larger view of it:
http://media.zzounds.com/media/bran...72c2e5ff773.jpg
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2004, 09:46 AM   #26
zultone
UG Addict

NAME OF ITEM: DOD Death Metal Distortion (FX86)

WHO IT'S BY: DOD

FEATURES:
* Deadly tone
* Effects controls and three-part EQ on
board
* Tough stomp box construction
(a ****LOAD of distortion)

COST: list is $99.95
bought it for $29.99 at www.musiciansfriend.com

STYLE OF MUSIC: metal , extreme metal

WHY YOU LIKE IT:

It doesn't have a sludgey sound like most other high high distortions have (unless you want it to )
Your notes just cut through like a hot knife through butter, very tough constrction, high durability, great looks, great sound, vary shapable sound i might add, the distortion was maxed, then they just ripped out the knob basically so its not for those who want a little distortion, its got a busload.
NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.
CAN haVE EAR SHARTERING EQ's & SHRIEKS AND MOANS (depending on how you play )

Last edited by zultone : 05-31-2004 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:52 AM   #27
Smokebox
What you lookin' at?

Name: Big Stubby 3mm.

Made by: Jim Dunlop

Cost 0.60 each. Consequently I have lots of these.

Style of music Any, but especially suited to rock soloing.

Picture:

Why you like it: I like fat picks, especially this one. It seems to glide effortlessly over the strings, and is capable of a wide range of tonal variations. It also has the obvious advantage of that it never snaps, unlike some thinner picks. I use these far more than any other pick.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:48 AM   #28
CobainenHeralyn

Name: Boss Power Driver (PW-2)
Made by: Boss
Features: its basically a drive enchancer pedal, Since the tone im looking is sorta between dist. and overdrive i got this pedal, its got two knobs on it called FAT and MUSCLE which basically control the fatness and strengh of sound.
Cost:Bout $75...I got it for about 70 though
Why you will like it: If you don't wnt heavy dist. or you finding that overdrive ainting giving what you need then i suggest iving this pedal a look at.....My settings for it are level:7, Fat:3; muscle:7 and Drive:6
Yah! jangly nirvana sound
"And all the great things I will never do"

In Summary of What I Am
Misery Signals
Old 06-12-2004, 10:07 AM   #29
beatallica_fan
UG fluffly club member #5

Just a cautionary note before i begin, talking to Roman and Rob on msn about ebay can seriously damage your bank balance. Until those two came along id never considered buying anything from ebay, now ive basically reinvented my rig from ebay purchase. This was the first, the behringer vamp2.

Since joining UG ive got more and more into home recording, i used to use a tape based tascam porta studio but the quality i could get with this and the instrumentation i was able to acheive was fairly poor which lead to much frustration.

After the inception of UGs Riffs forum i gave it another go, bought myself some software and off i went. Initially i used a multi effects pedal that was too knackered to use live as a pre amp, but iit got less and less reliable so i decided to buy one of these.

Most of the factory presets are instantly usable, some effects units have a tendency to have extreme presets to show of how much the unit can do, this is not the case here. Each one is usable and musically satisfying, the more extreme patches are designed for use with loops, midi, and synths etc so with those tools theyd be usable to. It plugs straight in, and all the different setting can be altered with a twist of the relevant knob.

Although i use it for recording it can be used in a live setup, it comes with a pedal to switch between the different patches. It has a midi in and out port, l and r out so it can be used with two amps, and a headphone socket. Theres also a pretty decent built in tuner. it comes with 16 different amp simulations and 16 different effect patches. Add to this a fully adjustable EQ gain, volume, master volume and reverb and you have an extremely versatile unit. Mine cost me 77 and i couldnt be happier with it, if your even considering doing some home recording try one of these out. Even comes in a very handy carry case.
Member #5 of UGs fluffly club, and proud of it

Our mission - to be warmer and fuzzier than any other club

http://beatallica.dmusic.com/
Old 06-12-2004, 10:20 AM   #30
beatallica_fan

oh and may i just add in an epiphone explorer down as well thanks to rob, roman and ebay, Heres my second purchase, a fender pt10 pedal tuner.

Now when i decided to tweak my rig i asked myself, what will make a huge difference to my sound. I didnt want to buy pedals because theyd make a funny noise, make my guitar sound like an alien invader. Getting truely back to basics i decided if i wanted to sound good first and foremost i had to be in tune. Hence this purcase.

Its a chromatic tuner, and very accurate, just stomp on it and it will tell you exactly where you are. The LEDs are bright and clear so tuning is no problem, even on a darkened stage. There are two out sockets, one maintains the signal to the amp while the pedals on and your tuning, plug into the other one and the signal is muted during tuning (i prefer this as the audience may find it a little disconcerting hearing you tune up) An added bonus to this is that you can run two amps from this one pedal, achieving a stereo sound, when i used to have two amps i often enjoyed doing this, altering the eqs, gain, volume and even effects on the different amps gets some great live sounds. Cost me 38 from ebay, brand new, die cast metal construction means it should last me years and years, im very happy with it. I will post about my third and final purchase when it arrives.

Old 06-12-2004, 05:34 PM   #31
beatallica_fan

hmm dunno if SV will allow this but hey he can always delete this. I recorded a demo of my vamp, all the sounds were generated by the vamp, the only thing i did with my recording software was boost or reduce levels, no EQing no effects no reverb. I recorded 11 different patches, they go as follows

1 - Every breath U T - self explanatory, andy summers style sound, so i just played the riff to every breath

2 - Highway to hell - AC DC patch, love this patch, made up my own riff to demo it.

3 - You oughta know - apparently a patch designed to emulate an alanis morrisette song, im not familiar with it, tremolo is one of my favourite effects so i mae up a little ditty to demo it.

4 - striaght crunch, no frills rock sound, demoed with cant get enough.

5 - Long clean delay, love this patch, very ethereal, the progression fell under my fingers the first time i used the patch.

6 - Savage ultra - rock lead tone, nice screaming tone.

7 - blue lead, bluesy lead tone, broke out a bit of jonny b goode to show it off.

8 quack - clean funky tone with an auto wah, ive never used an auto wah before so im still getting used to it, just play an octave riff to demo it.

9 - make my D(el)AY - nice smooth lead tone, really nice for slow melodic leads.

10 - ambience combo - based on american tube amps, sounds a bit zz topish to me so i played Tush top demo it.

11 - strat solo - actually sounds like Pages tone in stairway to me (i am using a tele so maybe thats why) racked my brains and played the intro licks from that solo.

Throughout im using my yamaha pacifica mike stern signature guitar into the V amp and the straight into the soundcard.

id like some feedback, so if thats not allowed here please pm me with any opinions on the tones produced.

Old 06-13-2004, 07:22 PM   #32
shut_up_you_***
GAS free for 1 year!

Re: The Ultimate Accessories Thread! <- MAKE USE OF THIS!

Name of Item: Boss Compression Sustainer CS-3

Who It Is Made By: Boss

Features: Volume knob, tone knob, attack knob and sustain knob.

Cost: 50 inc. p&p

Style of Music It Fits: Funk (and I'm told by my guitarist really good for rock soloing)

Why You Like It: Well I use this baby for my bass, especially when I use it with my bass wah. Ensures I get a nice consistent volume, especially when I'm slapping.

Turnind down the sustain knob turns it into a limiter, a decrease in attack with an increase of tone enables me to get this nice timbre when I play more melodic basslines. More lighter.

In comparison, when I get dirty with a hip-hop groove, turn up the sustain and turn the tone knob to about 11 o' clock, I get this nice fat full tone that fills the room with enough vibrations to.... err.. well.......... make the room vibrate!

Add a dash of attack, get this nice punchy yet rich sound.

I've read a few reviews that mark down this lovely unit as "it has no character". I like it unit coz it hardly messes with your signal unless you want it to. I like my effects subtle (except when I'm in one of those moods), and this suits me just fine.

And of course..... it's a Boss. I know this baby won't let me down. Built like a brick (but that don't stop me carrying it in bubble wrap everywhere I go!!).

I like this baby so much, I'm finding I have to learn to turn it off once in a while coz I end up draining the battery (not that it eats them, it's my fault. The energy consumption isn't bad).

This is a pretty damn good unit. Does exactly what it says on the tin. Though I am thinking about selling my CS-3 to my guitarist and buying a Digitech Compressor. Not because I don't like this unit, just coz variety is the spice of life, (and I can get it cheap on eBay!)

Me being the nice thoughtful person I am (well.. usually) I've included a link to some sound samples of this baby at work. Though these samples are for it's use with a guitar. Me personally if a guitar unit sounds nice on bass, why not!? My next buy is a tremolo pedal!? Why!?............. Why not!?

Picture:
Attached Images

Last edited by shut_up_you_*** : 06-13-2004 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:44 AM   #33
TGM
Transistor Tubes

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokebox
Name: Big Stubby 3mm.

Made by: Jim Dunlop

Cost 0.60 each. Consequently I have lots of these.

Style of music Any, but especially suited to rock soloing.

Picture:

Why you like it: I like fat picks, especially this one. It seems to glide effortlessly over the strings, and is capable of a wide range of tonal variations. It also has the obvious advantage of that it never snaps, unlike some thinner picks. I use these far more than any other pick.

Beat me too it, but I'll add on a little more.

Becasue of the contoured edges and the thickness, this pick play's really smoothly. You don't get that annoying click. It's made out of lexan, and it's 3mm thick so it won't break on you. I've done pick tapping, pick scratching, I've chewed on this, and I've just abused this pick. I only have two of them, and they both look and play the same as the day I bought them. I'll lose these picks before I ever wear them down.

This pick is very quiet, but with the right technique you can get a large dynamic range out of it. I couldn't get the same volumes with any tortex picks.

I also like the sharp tip, makes picking single notes much faster and much more clean. Hold it loose in your hand, and it's good for strumming.

It has a circular indent in the middle which lets you grip the pick. The actualy plastic is not very grippy, but it has never fallen out of my hand.

All in all, these picks just feel and sound great. I gave away all of my other picks because I stopped using them.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:07 AM   #34
beatallica_fan

Well i was going to talk about my new boss cs3 but i see sopmeone else has beat me to it, so i'll tell you about my latest ebay purchase instead. Currently i own 6 guitars, 2 acoutics and 4 electrics, storage of these can be a nightmare, i used to just lean them all up against my amp but theyd bump each other and get scratched and nicked. So i invested in a stagg guitar stand, it cost me 50 from Ebay, it comes in a compact folded up state, like a smallish guitars case really, it then folds out and can accomodate up to 6 guitars. A single guitar stand can cost up to 20, plus buying 4 or 5 of them isnt such a compact way of storing guitars. Hopefully this will mean fewer dings on my guitars and them all lasting me for a much longer time.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2004, 07:45 PM   #35
RedTears
AcoustiCore

Quote:
Originally posted by TGM
Beat me too it, but I'll add on a little more.

Becasue of the contoured edges and the thickness, this pick play's really smoothly. You don't get that annoying click. It's made out of lexan, and it's 3mm thick so it won't break on you. I've done pick tapping, pick scratching, I've chewed on this, and I've just abused this pick. I only have two of them, and they both look and play the same as the day I bought them. I'll lose these picks before I ever wear them down.

This pick is very quiet, but with the right technique you can get a large dynamic range out of it. I couldn't get the same volumes with any tortex picks.

I also like the sharp tip, makes picking single notes much faster and much more clean. Hold it loose in your hand, and it's good for strumming.

It has a circular indent in the middle which lets you grip the pick. The actualy plastic is not very grippy, but it has never fallen out of my hand.

All in all, these picks just feel and sound great. I gave away all of my other picks because I stopped using them.

Um, actually, they wear out pretty fast, I have one thats completely round, but I still use it. The 1 and 2mm versions, I'm talking about. The 3mm are REALLY hard to wear out.

Anyways, Ill review Dunlop Tortexs. They are made by Dunlop, and they are good picks. I use the 1.14mm and .73mm, they are good for everything. They cost no more than 5$ American, and I just like the picks. I did notice that it was a little bigger than my other picks. So that means more to hold on to. All in all, I give Tortex's 5 stars.
Attached Images

Last edited by RedTears : 08-21-2004 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:01 AM   #36
Nightmare405

BOSS MT-2 Metalzone

COST:?119

FEATURES:dual gain circuit and a 3 band EQ

CONTROLS:
Level,low,high,mid,mid freq,dist.

WHY I LIKE IT:I like it because it can get lots of my favourite sounds and its great for annoying my parents

When i first got this pedal i tried it out.I didnt get the best sounds out of it at the shop.But when I got it home it was a different story.

I plugged it in and put it to the heavy metal setting.Good setting but i tweaked it a bit to get that hevy slipKnot sound.

you can get a wide range of sounds from it from 70's rock to today's hevy metal sounds.It's not the best dist pedal out there(SV300!) but it works well for me I would definately use this at a gig.

overall score:
Features:9
sound:8

Attached Images

Old 07-23-2004, 08:25 PM   #37
WarriorXT
Hate Crew Deathroll

Name: Chain Strap
Made By: ME!!
Made popular by: Zakk Wylde
Cost: $13.73
Type of Music: looks best with a metal guitar (bc rich, Vs, etc.)
Just buy the right length of 3/16" zinc plated chain (4 and a half feet for me), (2) 5/16" spring snaps, and (2) #8 eye screws. unscrew your straplocks, screw in the eyes, hook up the snaps at the ends of the chain, and hook them to the eyes. voila! killer looking strap.

PROBLEMS: it takes a lil bit getting used to the chain in your shoulder. i just roll up a lil excess fabric on my shirt into a pad like deal.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:10 PM   #38
RedTears
AcoustiCore

I'll review a little known stomp box... the Johnson EQ Distortion.

If you play on a DS-1, then play on this, the DS-1 will get its ass KICKED. This is kind of more like the metal master I guess (I've only played the DS-1 though). It's great for Metal, Punk, anything heavy. Looking back at what I wrote above this, I wouldn't compare this to a DS-1. Its much heavier. I prefer it with the Level about 10.5 o'clock, distortion at 3/4s, VERY little middle, no middle frequency, and High and Low set to the highest. (Just in case you got the pedal, but I think I'm the only one here.) I give this thing a 9/10 stars, I havent encountered any flaws with it.

Cost: 45$

Heres the site I bought it at (This is also the site I bought my guitar at. DONT BUY THE GUITARS!)
http://www.musiciansstorehouse.com/...roduct_Count=18

And heres a picture
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2004, 06:08 AM   #39
UG's_Pagan
Banned

Allright, I can't find a picture, and I don't know how to post them because I'm really stupid when it comes to computers.

Tortex/Gator grip guitar picks

Made by Dunlop

Really Cheap, I never buy guitar picks though, I just walk in and steal about 12, but they're guitar picks, I mean how expensive can they be?

I love these picks. They are made out of a soft plastic, which is covered in a rough powdery film that gives it a really really nice grip. The softness of the pick reduces the clicking noises that can come up when you're shedding. My favourite are the 1.5 mm Gator grip(For lead) and the .5 mm Tortex (For rhythm)

I used to think guitar picks were all generic, with the three labels "Medium" "Light" and "Heavy," But if you've been playing guitar long egnough to know quality equipment when you use it, you should try these picks.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:14 AM   #40
TaoAvatar20

Name of item: Danelectro Fab Tone

Who it is made by: Danelectro

Cost: Can't remember

Features: hella gain and scooped mids

Controls: Hi and Low EQ knobs, Volume, and Gain

Style of Music it Fits: Metal, Grunge, Punk to some extent

Why I Like it: This pedal gets a bad rep because it was marketed as a distortion pedal when it's really a fuzz box. Basically, it's the most out of control fuzz I've ever heard in my life. But what's really great about it is that its a really smooth, creamy fuzz rather than the chainsaw fuzz you get out of either a Big Muff or the Boss Metalzone pedal. This can emulate that "wall of guitars" sound that the early 90's bands used so much...be it Nirvana or the Smashing Pumpkins or any other metal band that's come after them. A lot of people think you have to get a Dual Rectifier to get that sound and they're dead wrong. This pedal takes a LOT of getting used to (I usually have to turn the bass all the way up and only barely open up the treble control) but once you've found your sound, you are totally set. With this pedal and an EQ pedal after it into a Fender HRD, I can GET a Dual Recifier's sound for less than half the price...I kid you not. A lot of boxes out there are so common they're becoming cliche, and I feel like I happened up a nifty little secret that nobody bothered looking for...and I feel a great deal of satisfaction knowing that I've got a rig that sounds like me out of the bargain.

Rate This Thread: