Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
Codpopper

Question Good small venue solo acoustic amp? Recommendations?

LOOKING FOR ADVICE!!!

I play fingerstyle acoustic instrumental music. I do occasional singing but not often.

I am about to start playing in coffee shops and restaurants and I am looking for a good small portable amp with natural tone to use. Nothing bulky. But I want a natural clear tone..

As far as gear I play a Ibanez EP9 Euphoria "Vai Signature" tuned usually DADGAD and a Ovation Celebrity usually tuned Standard or Dropped as low as C that I run through a POD X3 Live. I don't play with any distortion really, occasional overdrive

I seen the Fishman Solo-Amp and this thing looked like what I was looking for.

Has anyone heard one live or played one? They have great reviews...
I like the idea of being able to sing and play through the thing being so small.

Please give feedback or reccomendations.

Here's a video of a song I wrote so you know what kind of music I play and maybe have a better idea of what I am looking for.

Robert Guinn playing "Mr. Legg"

Thank you,

Robert AKA CodPopper

Ovation Celebrity Collectors Edition Acoustic
Vintage Epiphone Banjo
Vintage Lotus Mandolin

Last edited by Codpopper : 08-27-2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Re-worded the Title.. Need feedback...
Codpopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Codpopper

If anyone knows anything else that will do good thats not huge please recommend something.. New to the Acoustic Amp stuff.

Vintage Epiphone Banjo
Vintage Lotus Mandolin
Old 08-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
Codpopper

Seen this too... Looks too big..

Vintage Epiphone Banjo
Vintage Lotus Mandolin
Old 08-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Don E

Yes: I am using the SWR Calf Blonde. I like it when I need some power and playing with others. I also have a Roland AC30 that i use for smaller venues and when I don't feel like carrying a lot of stuff. But I am also interested in the Fishman Solo. I had a Fishman amp many years ago. It was clean as a pin and I could not dirty it up at all and it has small but real heavy in weight. Well now i am doing only acoustic stuff now and I was looking into a Bose Beam, but to much $$$ and set-up is not as easy as it looks and still have to make a few extra trips back and forth to the car. So this fishman looks good to me. I have spoke with both Guitar center and Sam Ash they have none on floor and don't know if and when they will. I called the Fishman guy and he said likely to be available in supply by end of next month. So the only info I have on this unit is from the net. Won't buy until I can test drive.
Don E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
Codpopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don E
Yes: I am using the SWR Calf Blonde. I like it when I need some power and playing with others. I also have a Roland AC30 that i use for smaller venues and when I don't feel like carrying a lot of stuff. But I am also interested in the Fishman Solo. I had a Fishman amp many years ago. It was clean as a pin and I could not dirty it up at all and it has small but real heavy in weight. Well now i am doing only acoustic stuff now and I was looking into a Bose Beam, but to much $$$ and set-up is not as easy as it looks and still have to make a few extra trips back and forth to the car. So this fishman looks good to me. I have spoke with both Guitar center and Sam Ash they have none on floor and don't know if and when they will. I called the Fishman guy and he said likely to be available in supply by end of next month. So the only info I have on this unit is from the net. Won't buy until I can test drive.

I am really into the little guy. It weighs 25 pounds and has a case and everything. I can also run vocals through it which is a nice option though I can't sing LOL

I know Fishman makes good products for the most part.

I have head the Bose setup and I was amazed at the clearity from the speaker. I rarely run dirty at all on my music. I just want something very clear. Natural sound.

I know Monte Montgomery uses the California, but he pushes serious overdrive at times. I've became pretty good buds with him through the years and we sat and bs'd last Houston go-around and he told me he has to watch it cause he is notorious for blowing PA's LOL

Thanks for the feedback brother.

Vintage Epiphone Banjo
Vintage Lotus Mandolin
Old 08-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
carpepax
In the Storm of the Eye

Bugera V5
L.R. Baggs Para D.I.
Boss DS-1

"Only the dead have seen the end of war" -- Plato
carpepax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
Codpopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpepax

I have never heard of this brand, but thats nothing new. There are so many brands etc out there..

ANYONE Ever seen this?

Vintage Epiphone Banjo
Vintage Lotus Mandolin
Old 08-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
Don E

okay L.R. Baggs do make some great pick-up systems. I am using a dual in my in my Martin. I had the new Dean Markley west coast system in this guitar at first but when I started really having problems with humidity. I liked the Planet waves humidipak so much that I swapped the pick-ups. The sound hole pick-up will not work with the Humidipak since I could not get the sound hole pouch to fit. I changed the pick-up. So I am familuar with L.R. Baggs. But I am still anxious to try the Fishman Solo. It just seems like a good idea. The older I get the better I like small and light gear.
Don E is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: