Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
LK_revival

I went back to Marshall (JVM 410)

For years I used a Marshall 2205 which I still have and it was great for hard rock/metal but limited in other things.

For the past 6 0r 7 years I have used a Mesa triple rectifier which I still like and it does some tones really great but is kind of sterile for a more blues classic rock tone. I still have it and may use it for some things but......

The Marshall with EL 34 tone was calling me home so after debating various Marshall models I went for a JVM 410 and the thing is a beast. Lots of of tone options which I am still fiddling with but OD1 stands out , absolute tone heaven.

I still haven't found a close plexi sound out of it and probably won't because a plexi is a plexi but the JVM 410 does have a nice crunch tone and I do hear some 2203 and 2205 tone in it and while I have tried a TSL and thought the TSL was a good amp the JVM just foors it in my opinion.

The foot switch is easy to use and well made that I can see so far that easily calls up the four channels and the selections within each channel. I haven't really even used OD 2 and might not because OD 1 delivers the sonic boom I want anyway.

If you need a amp that will deliver a lot of various tones check out the 410. I tried a 210 but it just didn't sound as good to me. Supposedly the 210 doesn't have the OD 1 the 410 does and it is the OD 1 that rips out the tone that I am loving.

I got my mine for a good deal on ebay, it is virtually like new and there are a few for sale on ebay often.

All respect to the plexi and 2203 though, because those models are classic champions that are often called one tone wonders but the tone they deliver is awesome but I am highly impressed with the JVM so far.
LK_revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Twidler
Hairy arsed Scot

I read Joe Satriani was using the JVM410 for his latest album but I think it's modded.
Twidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
LK_revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twidler
I read Joe Satriani was using the JVM410 for his latest album but I think it's modded.

Yes that's true, he used the 210 before that and I have heard some guys on youtube get some good tone out of the 210 but when I tried one I wasn't too impressed. I listened to various youtube vids of the 410 from clean tones to blues rock tones to heavier tones and was impressed enough to buy it without trying it and I am happy I took the chance.

These days I play a lot of different covers from Hendrix to Joe Walsh to 80's and 90's rock/metal to what is out currently like Seether and Shinedown. So far the 410 does all those great except for a Red House or SRV type blues tone but that is not to say it doesn't have it because I saw a youtube vid of a guy getting great blues tone from a 410 it is just that I haven't found yet personally.

If I were a purist blues and classic rock player I would have gone for a plexi 1959 or 1987 but considering I do many types of songs personally and in a cover band the 410 was a great choice.

I still have a love for the Mesa but it is now demoted to my mistress and the 410 is my main squeeze now.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
Twidler
Hairy arsed Scot

I fancied giving the JVM a whirl but haven't had the money and I get on well with my classic 50 so haven't bothered. It does sound like a superb amp though.
Twidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

congrats

how much?

I'd just do a NAD thread though or this may get considered pointless

PS: Yes, I will give OD1 green kudos.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #6
LK_revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
congrats

how much?

I'd just do a NAD thread though or this may get considered pointless

PS: Yes, I will give OD1 green kudos.

I bet if I get some V30 speakers and mix it up with the G75 I have now it will get a even better classic rock tone.

Lots of different prices out there on these , new is very pricey but the good thing is there are a few out there used and most are not beat up or had hack job mods done on them. With patience and maybe some haggling they are in the $1000 range used right now on ebay or GC used.

I read reviews and thoughts by different people, some will say they don't like it some will say they love it, as with any amp, but trying it out personally is what it is all about. I read bunches of people ragging on the TSL while the DSL has a cult following. I personally tried a TSL a couple months ago in a band situation and thought it was very good overall but in my opinion the JVM 410 takes it to another level.

On OD 1 I have it dialed in at 11 O' clock not even half way up and it gives thick sustaining overdrive. OD 1 rocks but the crunch and clean selections are very good also.

One thing though, on OD1 only on the RED selection when using either my fat strat or LP the guitars squealed bad when not playing and the OD level was only at 11 O'clock. Didn't happen on the orange selection though. I can't imagine OD 2 lol. A decimator will probably solve that though.

Last edited by LK_revival : 02-06-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:27 AM   #7
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Not being able to dial in a passable plexi tone is a pretty big drawback for a Marshall. Even a DSL could pull off a passable plexi. And that's one of the problems with the TSL - no plexi inside.

Have you tried a low gain channel, volume on 10 and use the gain knob as your volume?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 02-06-2012 at 02:28 AM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #8
LK_revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Not being able to dial in a passable plexi tone is a pretty big drawback for a Marshall. Even a DSL could pull off a passable plexi. And that's one of the problems with the TSL - no plexi inside.

Have you tried a low gain channel, volume on 10 and use the gain knob as your volume?

Well I haven't found it yet to my tastes, but that is not to say it isn't there, because I did hear some good plexi-ish tones from a 410 on youtube . I am still fiddling with the amp, and if I can come close or similar which is all I could ask I'll have a amp that does everything I want. So far it does 90% considering I do everything from Hendrix to Eagles to Rush to Judas Priest to STP to Seether which is a lot to ask for.

I have heard various Marshall models come close to a plexi but never really LIKE a plexi because the plexi is that particular amp, if I were doing sets only of Hendrix and stuff I'd would just go get a plexi and have the real deal.

You know speaking of knobs, one thing I need to try is the volume and tone knobs on the guitar in conjuction with the amp. Something that many guitar players often over look including myself is the tone knobs on the guitar
Old 02-06-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twidler
It's not so much modded as it is tweaked.

I watch this video on youtube all the time, guy is using a JVM. Great sounds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POsA...feature=related

Last edited by al112987 : 02-06-2012 at 02:44 AM.
al112987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:01 AM   #10
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

The power amps on Marshalls has changed naff all apart from valve types. You have a pretty normal EL34 Marshall power amp. Push it hard with as little gain as possible until the EL34's break up and you should get into plexi country. Play with the EQ and the guitar knobs (both of them) and I'd be surprised if you didn't find something plexilike in there. Just start with the volume dimed.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 02-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
Mark G
UG Nerd

Congratulations! I hope to get one soon myself.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
LK_revival

Thanks cathbard for the tips, I'll mess around more and I am sure I will come up with a bluesy tone that satisfies me. I got closer with experiments with the Mesa rectifier by using the clean channel pushed setting with a overdrive as a boost, but I just am going back to the Marshall because Marshall just seems more for me.

Thanks Mark for the congrats. I am pretty sure that you will be happy with the 410 when you get it. A few great choices out there for amps Marshall and otherwise but Marshall seems to have put some effort into the 410 and I like it.

When I get that "all along the watchtower" tone that satisfies me I'll report back. I am not a tone purist trying to recreate the original when playing some songs, but some songs like watchtower I don't want to just get by half satisfied.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #13
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

Getting that All Along The Watchtower sound is going to be tough because Jimi is playing through a Fender twin reverb.
al112987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #14
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by al112987
Getting that All Along The Watchtower sound is going to be tough because Jimi is playing through a Fender twin reverb.

Not live he aint.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 02-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
LK_revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Not live he aint.

Yep, I don't mind if my tone for songs like those have a bit more dirt than the original recording just as long as I'm satisfied with the tone. But, even a JCM 800 2204 or 2203 while I hear a difference in those amps compared to a 1959 or 1987, I have heard some guys get a nice tone for songs like All along the watchtower with a JCM 800, Jeff Healey is one of them.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #16
Kikuta
Grim and Frostbitten

Congrats on the purchase, I've been keen to get my hands on one myself for a while. It's a difficult choice when I can pick up a '74 JMP for less.
Kikuta is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: