Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #41
lespaul#1
UG's Biggest Flirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdossett65
Oh, ok.

I know this is a mini thread jack, but is the new EVH amp any good for his tones at all? Ive hea both good and bad.

I'd go with what was reccomended.
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
lespaul#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #42
Ach-med
Fatter than you!

I've heard some good things, and some bad things(slightly more) about the new Vibrolux, but I can't find an original one anywhere around my area to compare it to.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...ombo?sku=480513
So Yay or Nay ?
If nay please suggest some other fenders, I need good cleans with the ability to get some okay distortion, since I play a lot of 3rd Wave Ska.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
Ach-med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #43
riffhog
SLO Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdossett65
Oh, ok.

I know this is a mini thread jack, but is the new EVH amp any good for his tones at all? Ive hea both good and bad.

I have a 5150 III, & it gets pretty close at a plug in & play level. I love mine, but if I play in front of people, I use my Mojave Scorpion re-amped into a separate power amp to really nail the dynamics of that tone.
BTW- al112987, that clip of the Metro '68 clone was pretty damn good. Thanks for that.
I also agree w/ the guy who said this crack forum is a better place since you've been here! Thanks for contributing!

But you don't play metal . The horror....the horror...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
riffhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #44
DerekTheDominoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach-med
I've heard some good things, and some bad things(slightly more) about the new Vibrolux, but I can't find an original one anywhere around my area to compare it to.
So Yay or Nay ?
If nay please suggest some other fenders, I need good cleans with the ability to get some okay distortion, since I play a lot of 3rd Wave Ska.

Ok, the Fender re-issues are good, but don't sound as rich as the older ones. The older ones have a deeper tone and sound fuller. All you have to do is up the mids and bass on the RI and you'll be fine. Fender re-issues are some of the best in terms of cleans. Will you run a pedal through it?

Riffhog: Not playing metal isn't a bad thing. I like early metal, like Sabbath or Deep Purple. Anything heavier than that is kinda ruined for me, because I'm not a fan of high gain. Remember: Cleans let you find your errors and correct them, instead of masking them.

Last edited by DerekTheDominoe : 09-11-2008 at 09:42 PM.
DerekTheDominoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #45
Iceman 420
UG's Poke-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach-med
So Yay or Nay ?

The new Fender Vibrolux is NOTHING like the old one. It breaks up quite easily and has a lot of hiss.

But for the old classic Vibrolux sound, I suggest this-
http://www.allenamps.com/encore.php
Keeley TS808
BBE Free Fuzz
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Classic 50
Ovation Ultra 1528

"There are only two types of rock guitarists: Jeff Beck and everyone else."
-Mio Akiyama (K-ON!)
Iceman 420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #46
riffhog
SLO Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekTheDominoe
Ok, the Fender re-issues are good, but don't sound as rich as the older ones. The older ones have a deeper tone and sound fuller. All you have to do is up the mids and bass on the RI and you'll be fine. Fender re-issues are some of the best in terms of cleans. Will you run a pedal through it?

Riffhog: Not playing metal isn't a bad thing. I like early metal, like Sabbath or Deep Purple. Anything heavier than that is kinda ruined for me, because I'm not a fan of high gain. Remember: Cleans let you find your errors and correct them, instead of masking them.

I'm just messin with you guys on the metal thing . I like any good guitar playing, except maybe jazz. Really loving blues these days, as well as some other wacky stuff. Learning to play the old Charlie Daniels song, "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" now, & "Hot Rod Lincoln". Using a metal-ish tone, though .

I'm going to seriously research those Metropoulos more closely after seeing the video al111987 gave us the link to. THAT was what an old plexi should sound like. If George can make me one of those that sounds just like that, I'm all in. I've been searching for a stock '68 plexi for years (& I'm willing to pay several thousand $ for one), but most of the ones you find have been modded &/or have had some questionable repair work done, & don't quite sound like the one in that video. The ones that sound like that are not for sale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
riffhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #47
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman 420
The new Fender Vibrolux is NOTHING like the old one. It breaks up quite easily and has a lot of hiss.

But for the old classic Vibrolux sound, I suggest this-
http://www.allenamps.com/encore.php

That Allen ain't cheap. Nice amp though - we're seeing more of the fender-esque amp companies these days doing it "the way they used to" only better. Ahem, and I love my Vibroverb RI, but there was one HC review tearing it to shreds. It was hilarious.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #48
lespaul#1
UG's Biggest Flirt

I finally traded in Guitar Centers for my BFDR, will have pics when I find my camera. How long does the light on a Fender amp last.[QUOTE]
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Old 09-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #49
gregs1020
Hi mom!

[QUOTE=lespaul#1]I finally traded in Guitar Centers for my BFDR, will have pics when I find my camera. How long does the light on a Fender amp last.
Congrats, finally reverb that works for our resident surf guy. That HAS to be a relief! The light will last, don't worry about that. When it does go out, pimp it with a blue lens so it's more "surfy"! (or smurfy) JK, congrats again - now go break in that speaker!!!

Old 09-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #50
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffhog
I'm just messin with you guys on the metal thing . I like any good guitar playing, except maybe jazz. Really loving blues these days, as well as some other wacky stuff. Learning to play the old Charlie Daniels song, "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" now, & "Hot Rod Lincoln". Using a metal-ish tone, though .

I'm going to seriously research those Metropoulos more closely after seeing the video al111987 gave us the link to. THAT was what an old plexi should sound like. If George can make me one of those that sounds just like that, I'm all in. I've been searching for a stock '68 plexi for years (& I'm willing to pay several thousand $ for one), but most of the ones you find have been modded &/or have had some questionable repair work done, & don't quite sound like the one in that video. The ones that sound like that are not for sale!

Definitely look into Metropoulos, in terms of getting plexis that are as close to the original as possible, I don't think any other builder does a better job than George does on his amps, nice guy too. He has a bunch of comparison clips of a the real deal '67 plexi to his replica, and even comparing a brand new amp to a 40 year old.

http://metroamp.com/amps_67_100_watt.php

Last edited by al112987 : 09-12-2008 at 07:24 PM.
al112987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #51
lespaul#1
UG's Biggest Flirt

The reverb is awesome and springy/surfy. The reason I asked is because Guitarcenters amps light broke. When I first plugged in the footswitc, every time I clicked it, it made a popping noise, and didn't affect it, the second time, it didn't affect it, when pushed it into the input it worked, any idea?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #52
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

more sweet sounding vintage Marshalls, courtesy of Udo Pipper, a German guitarist with amazing tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfCL...feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8kf...feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA0L...feature=related (the lead tone at the end of this is incredible)
(w/ bonnie blue OD)
(w/ union jack OD)
Old 09-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #53
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul#1
The reverb is awesome and springy/surfy. The reason I asked is because Guitarcenters amps light broke. When I first plugged in the footswitc, every time I clicked it, it made a popping noise, and didn't affect it, the second time, it didn't affect it, when pushed it into the input it worked, any idea?

Bad bulb maybe, they should last a long time seriously. WTF is with these DRRI's? The one I played at SamAsh had a broken vibrato. You had a bad light and no reverb on the GC loaner... So much for new amps being better than used is my thought.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #54
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD

Matamp, son. Matamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
What can I say? I can't get enough of the cocks.
[/size]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62

I ****ing love California.
imgooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #55
lespaul#1
UG's Biggest Flirt

What sucks is that a relative of mine ordered a Vintage Blackface back in June, not sure which one but it was a reverb one, and it never came in. At least they paid COD.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #56
DerekTheDominoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgooley
Matamp, son. Matamp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaY5Ggsi5oI
DerekTheDominoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #57
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekTheDominoe

Teh winsauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
What can I say? I can't get enough of the cocks.
[/size]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62

I ****ing love California.
imgooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #58
Nightfyre
plays the bassoon

To slightly hijack this thread as recommended by somebody in this thread, would you gentlemen happen to know of a good Marshall Major clone? The thread's drawn a few people who are very interested in finding such an amp. Thanks.
Nightfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #59
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

Hey Nightfyre, I just posted a response in the other thread that could answer you guys's question.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #60
Otsugua713

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffhog

But you don't play metal . The horror....the horror...

ha...heart of darkness...sorry i just had to...byeee

Rate This Thread: