Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
thischarmingsam
Granned

New Ultimate OD/Distortion/Boost thread.

Well the first one was a good idea, though the format was iffy. Post your OD etc questions here, and if people would be rather helpful and submit reviews I'll edit them into the first posts. Il do it like this: First post after this = OD's second post Dist and third boosts etc. Happeh? Alrighty then.

I doubt this will be as popular as the wah thread, though theres a slight chance it'll cut down on 'what OD do i need?' threads.

OD/Distortion/Boost list by Goldenlove

OD
Ibanez Tone-Lok TS7
Ibanez TS 808
Ibanez TS9
Ibanez TS9DX
Maxon OD808
Maxon OD9
Maxon OD9 Pro Plus
Maxon OD820
Maxon VOP-9
Maxon OOD-9
Maxon D&S
Maxon OSD-9
Maxon ROD880
Maxon ROD881
Carl Martin Hot Drive 'n' Boost
Carl Martin PlexiTone
Carl Martin AC-Tone
Carl Martin Rock Drive
Carl Martin Crunch Drive
Pro Tone Dead Horse
Catalinbread Hyperpak Dirty Channel
EHX English Muff'n
EHX 2UBE
EHX Germanium OD
Boss SD-1
Boss OS-2
Boss OD-3
Boss BD-2
Boss DN-2
MXR ZW-44
Metasonix TM-5
Fulltone OCD
MI Audio Crunch Box
MI Audio Blues Pro
MI Audio Blue Boy
MI Audio Tube Zone
Seymour Duncan SFX-03
Seymour Duncan Lava Box
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
BBE Green Screamer
Danelectro Cool Cat CTO-1
Danelectro D-2
Danelectro Daddy O
Danelectro DJ-1
Devi Ever Dark Boost
Devi Ever Electric Brown
Devi Ever Karaoke Party
Devi Ever Punch Love/0525
TC Electronic Classic Series Booster
TC Electronic VPD1
Damage Control Liquid Blues
Marshall Bluesbreaker
Marshall Jackhammer
Marshall Guv'nor
Visual Sound V2DT
Visual Sound V2RT808
Visual Sound V2RT66
Digitech XTD
Digitech Bad Monkey
Digitech HardWire SC-2
Digitech Screamin Blues
T-Rex Moller
T-Rex Twin Boost Overdrive
T-Rex MAB Overdrive
ZVex Super-Duper 2-in-1
Coffin Case BDFX-1
EBS MultiDrive
ISP Totally Blues
ISP Fetish
Rocktron Austin Gold Overdrive
Rocktron Sonic Glory
Line6 Crunchtone
Krank Krankshaft
Guyatone Micro Series OD-2+
Hao Rumble MOD
Hao SP-1
Keely Time Machine
DNA VT-1
Pignose Piggy-in-a-Box
Jacques TB-2
Tech 21 American Woman
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Boost
Pro Tone Thruster
Pro Tone Mach II
Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso
Catalinbread Serrano Picoso
EHX LPB-1
MXR MC-401 Boost/Line Driver
MXR MC-402
Seymour Duncan SFX-01
BBE Boosta Grande
BBE Freq Boost
Keeley Katana
Keeley Java Boost
MI Audio Boost N Buff
ZVex Super Hard-on
Diaz Texas Ranger Treble Boost
Carl Martin Boost Kick
Carl Martin Hydra Boost
Carl Martin Contour n Boost
ISP Fetish
Guyatone Micro Series CB-3
Hao Rust Booster III
Hao Rumble MOD
Hao RB-1
Radial Bigshot PB-1

Difference between hard and soft clipping, aka differences between distortion and overdrive by ICANSEEYOU7687 ( ) I think a lot of people don't really understand the differences between distortion and overdrive. While overdrive is a form of distortion with guitar jargon its different.

where as the distortion obviously just cuts the signal. This is why distortion pedals can usually reach insane amounts of gain, but you loose a lot of the original signal.

Whereas with soft clipping there is not plateauing. Most of the original signal is still preserved keeping the same shape, which is why it changes your tone the least.

Last edited by minibrowny : 09-14-2008 at 06:43 PM.
thischarmingsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
thischarmingsam
Granned

Overdrive. Originally designed to emulate a valve amp reaching valve clipping, they can be used as straight up overdrive channel, to tighten up a gain channel or as a clean boost by cutting the gain and raising level- amongst other functions obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
General guitar gadgets' and Build your own clone's 808 copies which are just as good and much cheaper. Downside is that you have to put it together yourself, which may actually be a plus if you're into that kind of thing.

Ibanez
TS-808 Reissue by minibrowny et Kevin Saale
Very low amount of gain here, which means its great for running through the clean to give a nice blues/classic rock tone. It has a mid hump, which makes it OD sound nice and full. Quite a lot of output, so you could use it as a clean boost and the '666' settings (set to 6 on gain tone and volume) is perfect for tightening up a tube amp. Another setting is using it as a straight boost, with no gain and full level it also works, this time it drives the front end of a valve amp giving a different but similar effect.
Pros-
True bypass, great tone, good output
Cons-
Expensive.

Boss:
Boss SD-1 by stevo_epi_SG_wo
Out of the box this thing is decidedly average, quite harsh, fairly noisey and unrefined. i did find however that it produces a nice light distortion sound over a clean SS amp, perhaps a good option if you have a starter amp with shoddy distortion and no hope of a new amp. Things changed once i opened it up and started messing around in there. I followed parts of 3 different modding guides for this pedal, there are tons of modding resources out there for this pedal, and in its current state, im very happy with it. I think the biggest change was changing the clipping diodes (D4 and D6 i think) to LEDs, it's now smoother, more powerful and more gainy. This pedal is a pretty solid buy unless you have a high end amp and a super buy if you can solder.
PROs
Price!!! Modder's delight. Easy to use. Fairly versatile.
CONs
Tad noisey. Pretty harsh sounding. Not too refined.
Overall its definately worth the 35 i paid for it.

Digitech Bad Monkey by mcrfobtai

This is one sweet little od, especially for 50 bucks. The gain by itself is ok but nothing really special. But it works great as a boost for your clean channel, to tighten up your gain and to push an amp into metal. I use it when my gain is fizzy or when I want to play some Metallica and it does that perfectly. It also has a pretty flexible 2 band eq but there are times when I miss the mids knob. Overall, one of the best budget ods on the market

Hughes & Kettner
Tube Factor by Darkarbiter7
Runs a 12AX7 (or one of it's variants) at 300v. Tonally, it's quite versatile. It has a great transparent boost, but thanks to the voicing knob, it allows you to change the character of the OD. For example, the voicing knob all the way to the left makes the pedal voiced like a TS808, in the middle it's like the old grey DOD 250, and all the way to the right sounds scooped and modern. Not quite sure what model of OD it sounds like, but it kind of sounds like a 5150 in a box, with less gain. The factor switch allows you to switch between the tube's clipping and diode clipping. The diode clipping is much dirtier than the tube clipping, but it's still very dynamic and fat. This is good for all styles of music.
Pros-True bypass, Very wide range of great tones, Very dynamic and natural sounding, Swapping tubes makes a lot of difference. This is nice for those who like to play around with different tubes, Durable
Cons-Very Expensive (350 USD), A tad on the noisy side, It's quite difficult to swap out the tube inside. It's easily possible, but it's a pain to switch out, Not enough output for some people

Visual Sound
Double trouble by SSL27
The Double Trouble is a great overdrive pedal. It's the same as the overdrive channels in the Jekyll and Hyde and the Route 66, with means it's essentially two TS808 clones in one enclosure, and that's two good clones at that. What VS markets them to be is TS808s with more output and a bass boost, and that's exactly what they are.I run mine in front of my Palomino V16, which can get up to a bit below thrash on it's own. With my Double Trouble, I can get Rammstein-esque tones, and that's with single coils! The DT is supposedly designed to model SRV's sound, and it does quite well, but when I use the settings in the manual for his sound, I find it gives too much output and sounds more metal like, so I have to turn the gain down on the pedal.It can get anywhere from a light bluesy crunch to almost thrash ON ITS OWN.
Pros: Versatile, Two Channels, which is very helpful, which means two settings.Lots of output.
Cons:A tad expensive. (160/70 USD), Non-true bypass.

Voodoo Labs
Sparkle Drive by LaidBack
Well with that out of the way, this is indeed an awesome little pedal. Cut the clean, you get a 808 clone. (A good one at that.) Cut the gain and you have a great clean boost. The volume is self explanitory, as is the tone. Roll the tone to the left, you got a great, fat lead tone, roll it to the right and you got a bright bit-o-crunch. Mix and blend and you can get a believeable "tube" sound through a decent solid state. But do NOT take that as an excuse not to pick up a tube amp. This is where the Sparkle Drive really shines. I run it on the clean channel of a Mesa F-50. I get a great bluesy, indy and mid-gain classic rock sound. Switch to my gain channel and its an awesome boost. Adds a little more definition and saturation.
Pros: Great, versitile sounding pedal that has MANY different applications. Fairly priced as well at $130 USD.
Cons: like any OD, is there is a little bit of noise. Then again I am running it on a daisy chain and not an isolated power supply.

MI Audio
Various by Pott
I used two Crunchboxes, a stock MI Audio one and one I built, without the presence control. The DIY one is darker and slightly smoother, I actually prefer it even though I need to keep the tone all the way up to treble.
It's got LOADS of gain, but I wouldn't use it for very modern metal sounds. The midrange and bass are quite different, more 80s like. I'm not saying it's not possible, just that to me it sounds a little bigger and more old school. With a boost in front it tightens things up nicely.
It doesn't clean up that well from the volume pot, and it's not a pedal that does a lot of things very well. It's made to do one thing: rock out. And it does that for cheap, a GREAT build quality and above all, sounds great on most amps. Most Marshall emulations I tried are quite picky about amps.
It can also under certain settings be a bright pedal, so watch out. But it's a perfectly usuable one, especially live as it cuts very well.

The Blues Pro is basically the perfect OD pedals, for that price at least. Very transparent, easy to use, and yet every tones out of this box is useable. I use mine as a standalone OD, not as boost like I'd use the stock SD1 or most Tubescreamers (which I usually dislike strongly). It cleans up nicely, has great dynamics and at lower gain settings, can make you sound simply like you have more of everything. GREAT little box for a great price.

BP + crunchbox stack up VERY well together. You can set the BP for low gain, into the CB set for medium gain, and both together will bring you a quiet, brilliant and ballsy metal sound. Real good combo, made for each other.

Last edited by minibrowny : 09-15-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
thischarmingsam
Granned

Distortion. Distortion is essentially higher gain overdrive, mainly used on the clean channel or through effects in to replace a gain channel with a higher gain one.

Blackstar:
DistX by minibrowny
Using a valve, and actually using it by stepping the 16V input to 300V you can really hear it work. Built like a tank, true bypass and has an ISF (infinite tone feature). This means that 0 is American, 10 being British sounding, a very versatile. Also has an emulated out, for DI'ing. I never actually use all the gain it has, it has huge amounts, can easily do death metal, though at the same time can do a decent British gain.
Pros-
Hefty, valve like tone, great tone.
Cons-
Expensive, adds quite a lot of noise, gets hot. Big 16V power supply is hefty too.

Boss:

MT-2 by Goldenglove
I bought it when I didn't know good tone from bad, only knew about Boss pedals and fell for the name and black colour.
First of all, the bad sides - it's buzzy no matter what you do with the treble knob, very noisy, unresponsive to dynamics - picking lighter will give nearly no difference, and not very versatile - no nice medium gain tones, at least for me.
The good sides - the parametric eq makes it possible to get some different sound, even if they're all buzzy. And circuit bending is fun with it.

ML-2 by Nilpferdkoenig

I must admit, it's too much for my small amp to handle (15 watt Spider III) and is completly useless on my friends 10w Peavey (feedback is all you get, no matter what settings). I play on a Stratocaster with single-coils and the distortion often gets out of hand and it just ends up in a big mass of -zzzzrrrkskskshs-. I've also played it on a proper double humbucker guitar and the pedal did what it was made for, extreme distortion without bringing up feedback.
What I really like about the pedal is the very high gain and the distortion level knob, which can also turn this pedal from a "Metal" sound to a more crunchy sound, more AC/DC friendly.
I recommend first trying the pedal with your amp.

Last edited by minibrowny : 10-03-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
thischarmingsam
Granned

Boost: This has two main functions. One to boost the signal making it louder, or to drive the preamp tubes. You can do this through the clean to make it break up quicker, or add a bit of preamp gain on the gain channel.

EHX LPB-1 Review by IbanezPsycho

Great little od and very cheap and sturdy as hell. Its pretty much two pedals in one. Has one knob which is convenient going from 1-4.5 is going to give you a pretty big clean boost and going from 4.5-10 gradually increases gain and fullness. That said its not a clean boost pedal you can dime and go on about your way because it will color your sound. So take it slow and you will be just fine. Adds in a hell of alot of clarity to your tone as well if you keep it in 1-4.5 mark. Right now im using it as a clean boost and to get a hair more fattness for metal purposes.
Pros- Sturdy, Cheap, Small Foot Print, Sounds great, Two pedals in one
Cons- A bit noisy when cranked

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotabcrich32
I have some additions to your list:
(mb edit: going here because overdrive is getting a tad full)
OD/distortion:
Paul C. Tim
Hermida Zendrive
Hermida Zendrive 2
Hermida Mosferatu
Crowther Audio Hotcake
Crowther Audio Bluesberry
Butler Tube Driver
Barber LTD
Barber Silver LTD
Barber LTD SR
Barber Custom Cool
Barber Direct Drive
Barber Direct Drive SS
Barber Small Fry
Barber Burn Unit
Barber Small Fry
Lovepedal Eternity
Lovepedal Roadhouse Eternity
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Les Lius
Lovepedal Cot50
Lovepedal ProValve
Lovepedal Jazz Hands
Lovepedal Super 6
Lovepedal Kanji Eternity
Lovepedal Cot50 Gold
Fulltone Robin Trower OD
Fulltone GT500
Fulltone Fulldrive II
Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet
Fulltone Distortion Pro
Cusack Screamer
Cusack Screamer Fuzz
Xotic RC Booster
Xotic BB Preamp
Xotic AC Booster
Xotic BB Preamp+
Xotic AC Preamp+
NOC3 Firefly
NOC3 Pure Drive
LoveKraft Mojodrive

Boost:
Klon
Paul C. Timmy
NOC3 Earthtone
LoveKraft Pusher
Fulltone Fat Boost
Barber Launch Pad

Last edited by minibrowny : 09-15-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
USCENDONE BENE
Fort Kickass

I may contribute a review for you at some point on my OD
USCENDONE BENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Goldenglove
Banned

Ok, so I guess a line boos just gives more gain while an OD as a boost changes the tone as well?
So, what's the best boost - MXR MC-401, LPB-1, Catalinbread stuff?
And also what's the best OD - TS, TS Turbo, TS vintage, Bad Monkey, OCD, Jekyll, other stuff?
Not that I actually need an OD, but I'm just interested, since there are so many of them out there.
Goldenglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
lespaul#1
UG's Biggest Flirt

Best OD= Boss BD-2, OD-3, or Maxon OD-808. Best boost= Digitech Bad Monkey.
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
lespaul#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
Goldenglove
Banned

Oh, also, when I buy my LPB-1, I'll be able to contribute a review
Old 09-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
chea_man
no more record deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul#1
Best OD= Boss BD-2, OD-3, or Maxon OD-808. Best boost= Digitech Bad Monkey.

that maxon is leagues ahead of any boss pedal.
and bad monkey isnt a true boost, in fact its very similar to the maxon.
edit, and minidbrownie, you should have just put all that info in the first post instead of like quadruple posting or whatever you did.
Chea_man is the best.
chea_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
thischarmingsam
Granned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chea_man
minibrowny, you should have just put all that info in the first post instead of like quadruple posting or whatever you did.

If this gets a decent amount of reviews they won't all fit in the first post. By doing that then it means that people wont have to search in the thread for the reviews.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
Goldenglove
Banned

I can also write a review of an MT-2. Don't think it'll be useful, though.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
thischarmingsam
Granned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenglove
I can also write a review of an MT-2. Don't think it'll be useful, though.

Nah, it would still be helpful if you could please, even though the review will probably be negative it'll hopefully help people know to not get one.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #13
Goldenglove
Banned

Where should I post it?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #14
thischarmingsam
Granned

Quote:
Where should I post it?

PM it to me, I'll stick it in the first post
Old 09-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #15
mcrfobtai
Hates mcr, fob and tai

I suppose I could do a Bad monkey review...

Buy my Classic 30!
mcrfobtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #16
thischarmingsam
Granned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrfobtai
I suppose I could do a Bad monkey review...

Do!
Old 09-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #17
mcrfobtai
Hates mcr, fob and tai

Pm it to you?
Ill get on it tonight, I have a soccer game now

Buy my Classic 30!
mcrfobtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #18
Goldenglove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrowny
PM it to me, I'll stick it in the first post

Did, it may need some editing, I guess.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #19
thischarmingsam
Granned

Quote:
Did, it may need some editing, I guess.

Got it, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrfobtai
Pm it to you?
Ill get on it tonight, I have a soccer game now

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #20
thischarmingsam
Granned

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Metal)lica
Well I have a Crate V18 and I want to push it to metal. I play traditional heavey metal like sabbath, metalica, motorhead, megadeth, black label society, that stuff. I was pointed in the direction of a Jekylland Hyde overdrive, would that be good?

If not, what would be your suggestions? thanks.

I think it would do you well, the overdrive circuit is based off the TS-808, and the distortion is great, I don't know how heavy the V18's get, but you may have to run the distortion through the clean, though you probably will get away with the OD through the gain channel. Or both at the same time

Rate This Thread: