Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
TJM2482
UG Monkey

Peavey XXX - Tubes

I bought my Peavey XXX combo last year. It was used, so I have no idea how old the tubes are, or if I'm even getting the most out of my amp. So, I've decided to look into re-tubing my amp. What tubes should I be looking into? I play mostly hard rock and metal, so I need clarity but thickness, if that makes sense.
TJM2482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
yoyodunno
Tanned

Hmm, well i have el34's for my power tubes cause they were stock but i really like the sound, so maybe get some jj el34's. And tungsol 12AX7's are the common choice for 12AX7's.

But I hear jan 5751's are good to put in one position to tame the gain slightly, someone else would kno more about that tho.
(")_(")
My youtube

Flickr
yoyodunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
ValoRhoads
Knight of The Phrygian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodunno
Hmm, well i have el34's for my power tubes cause they were stock but i really like the sound, so maybe get some jj el34's. And tungsol 12AX7's are the common choice for 12AX7's.

But I hear jan 5751's are good to put in one position to tame the gain slightly, someone else would kno more about that tho.

You sir are correct!
Tungsol 12ax7s rule
JJ makes greal EL34s
and remember TS, you must use the tubes your and was designed for! You cannot drop 6L6GCs in your amp. You must use EL34s and 12ax7s.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
yoyodunno
Tanned

But the triple xxx can switch between 6L6's and EL34's.
(")_(")
My youtube

Flickr
Old 09-13-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
neon10th
Ultimate Guitar Guitarist

This is exactly what I am getting and I have the same exact amp as you. I will get a JJ 12at7 in V1 and V4 in order to lower the gain a little. It also adds a That way, I will get more gain stages in the ultra and crunch channel. That way, the amp will play classic/hard rock better, and you metal sound sound will be even better. Next, I will get a JJ 12ax7 in V2 and V3. Finally, for the power tubes, I will get JJ KT77's. It is used at the EL34 switch, but it has the benefits of both the 6L6 and the EL34. What that means is, you get the thickness of the 6L6 plus the clarity of the EL34. Just what you wanted! So, to sum it up:

V1 - JJ 12at7
V2 - JJ 12ax7
V3 - JJ 12ax7
V4 (phase inverter) - JJ 12at7
Power - JJ KT77's

JJ tubes just sound great in the Peavey XXX. Also, this tube combination adds a chimey high-end sparkle that apparently sounds beautiful on the clean channel. It also warms the sound up.

I got all of this by reading Sordid1's posts in the Peavey XXX Lounge: http://acapella.harmony-central.com...p/t-948583.html

Read up on it. It is very useful. I hope I helped. Other things that will make your amp sound much better are the bad monkey overdrive to get a nice saturated tone to your sound as well as a Hellatone 60L speaker by Avatar.

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish and Chips

Guitar Rig 3

Last edited by neon10th : 09-13-2008 at 02:49 PM.
neon10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
yoyodunno
Tanned

Yeah i go back and forth between using the bad monkey and not using it.
(")_(")
My youtube

Flickr
Old 09-13-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
TJM2482
UG Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon10th
This is exactly what I am getting and I have the same exact amp as you. I will get a JJ 12at7 in V1 and V4 in order to lower the gain a little. It also adds a That way, I will get more gain stages in the ultra and crunch channel. That way, the amp will play classic/hard rock better, and you metal sound sound will be even better. Next, I will get a JJ 12ax7 in V2 and V3. Finally, for the power tubes, I will get JJ KT77's. It is used at the EL34 switch, but it has the benefits of both the 6L6 and the EL34. What that means is, you get the thickness of the 6L6 plus the clarity of the EL34. Just what you wanted! So, to sum it up:

V1 - JJ 12at7
V2 - JJ 12ax7
V3 - JJ 12ax7
V4 (phase inverter) - JJ 12at7
Power - JJ KT77's

JJ tubes just sound great in the Peavey XXX. Also, this tube combination adds a chimey high-end sparkle that apparently sounds beautiful on the clean channel. It also warms the sound up.

I got all of this by reading Sordid1's posts in the Peavey XXX Lounge: http://acapella.harmony-central.com...p/t-948583.html

Read up on it. It is very useful. I hope I helped. Other things that will make your amp sound much better are the bad monkey overdrive to get a nice saturated tone to your sound as well as a Hellatone 60L speaker by Avatar.
What are the V1/2/3/4? I'm pretty noobish with the technical side of tube amps. How much would the full swap cost me?
Old 09-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
jessexxx

the peavey website has some excellent info for tube change outs from the peavey techs..

a sure sign you need new tubes is volume drop,....alot of people swear by the el34 swap in the xxx...i too was going to do that,..but after i made a cab/speaker change to v30's...it did everything and more i was hoping for...

you have a great amp...let us know what you did and the results you got.
jessexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
neon10th

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJM2482
What are the V1/2/3/4? I'm pretty noobish with the technical side of tube amps. How much would the full swap cost me?

The two big tubes that are caged are the power tubes. Looking from behind the amp, the tube directly to the right of the power tubes is V4, or the phase inverter. If you look farther into the amp (away from you), you will see three tubes. The tube all the way right (nearest to where the input on the front is) is V1. The one to the left is V2. The one to the left of V2 is V3. V3 is kind of hard to spot because it is behind the power tubes. If you are confused, let me know.

Now, for the cost of a full swap, it will be about $80 from dougstubes.com. That is the best site to get them. $10 per (4) preamp tube (V1, V2, V3, V4), and $20 per (2) power tube. Do the math and you end up with $80. I hope I helped.

Sorry for the delay...

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
Old 09-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
TJM2482
UG Monkey

No problem, I'll definitely look into that. Should I worry about the speaker at all?
Old 09-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #11
neon10th

If you have the extra cash, I say get the speaker. If you don't have much cash and you like your tone, then don't worry about it. The new tubes are already going to make your tone great, but the speaker is going to make it outstanding.

EDIT: If you manage to buy the tubes, tell me how they sound in the amp. Same for the speaker.

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3

Last edited by neon10th : 09-14-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #12
Van Noord
Deactivated

+1 on the JJ's.

The Peavey Ultra series of amps (Ultra/Ultra Plus/XXX/JSX) sound great with them. I have two in my JSX preamp and plan on retubing next with JJ KT77's.

MARSHALL 2203KK
VHT Pittbull Ultralead
MESA Single Recto
PEAVEY 6505
SOLDANO Avenger
PEAVEY JSX
MARSHALL JVM 210H
Van Noord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
TJM2482
UG Monkey

Bumping this because I've yet to re-tube my amp, and I'm still not happy with the ultra channel. It sounds way too dry/thin/nasally compared to the lush/thick tone of the crunch channel.

I'm thinking about finally re-tubing it to fix my problem. Which pre-amp and power tube setup should I use if I'm trying to keep the lush/thickness of the crunch channel, while making the ultra channel darker/thicker, and with the clarity of the crunch distortion.

Rate This Thread: