Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-01-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
clickclickbooml

P90's Guitar Help!!

I really want to get a guitar with P90's because I like the fatter sound in it but I'm not sure what to look for based on my taste in playing. I currently have a Gibson Studio, and a Fender Stratocaster MIM (I dislike my Strat).

I gravitate towards Gibsons because of the short scale length. Every Fender I get I usually hate because if it's too trebbly sounding with single coils. And I usually play through my Marshall Mini stack, or my Vox ac15. Typically I run either a light gain OD through my VOX and high gain OD plus Fuzz through my Marshall.

My pallet of music comes from punk, to thick sludge doom/stoner metal. I love Sleep, The Sword, Blind Dog (really any chuggy beefy riffs). I tend to play aggressively and therefore play 10-52 strings.

I've been looking at the below guitars:
-Fender Jazzmaster
-Gibson Studio w/ p90's
-Reverend Double Agent

My price range floats in the $500-$900 price range... Are there any guitars you would suggest I look into?

Thanks!!
clickclickbooml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
jds2

I just bought a J Mascis Jazzmaster yesterday. Based on what I've read, the pickups in this guitar are mid-way between a P-90 and a class Jazzmaster pickup. The JM pickups have more high than my other P90 guitar (an Agile LP Jr copy), but they also have a good deal more bite (in a good way). The JM Jazzmaster may or may not be what you're looking for, but it's worth testing out to see how it sounds to you.
jds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
clickclickbooml

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds2
I just bought a J Mascis Jazzmaster yesterday. Based on what I've read, the pickups in this guitar are mid-way between a P-90 and a class Jazzmaster pickup. The JM pickups have more high than my other P90 guitar (an Agile LP Jr copy), but they also have a good deal more bite (in a good way). The JM Jazzmaster may or may not be what you're looking for, but it's worth testing out to see how it sounds to you.

How much was your JM Jazzmaster? Squier, or real deal? Thanks!
Old 03-01-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
slapsymcdougal
UG Bored King

Try the Epiphone 56 Goldtop. LP shape, P90's, affordable.

If you can find a Gibson 50's tribute LP/SG, they might be around the top of your price range.

Pretty sure Fender do some P90'd Teles in your price range, too.

Last edited by slapsymcdougal : 03-01-2016 at 06:51 PM.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

The Reverend Double Agent (25.5" scale) is a good option- even though I don't own one, that was the gateway axe into Reverends for me. And I really do like the HB/P90 setup in the guitar I do own made that way. Very flexible.

But if you're really wanting to go for P90s, go whole hog and get something with 2-3 of them. In 24.75" scale Reverends, you have a few options: a Sensei 290, Tricky Gomez 290, Ron Asheton signature, Warhawk 390 in production, and the discontinued Manta Ray 290 & 390. (There are probably other discontinued ones as well.)

In the 25.5" scale, there's the Charger 290 models, the Jetstream 290, the Descent Baritone, and Stu D. Baker & Unknown Hinson sigs in production.

Godin also has some nice options, like the discontinued Core P90, and some of their newest ones (out of your price range, alas) have SD P-Rails stock.

Hagstrom's Super swede Tremar P90 is my favorite of their P90 axes.

G&L's Tribute line has a few excellent P90 guitars, like the ASATs and the Double Agent-like Fallout. They're made in Indonesia with many of the same parts as the G&L USA models, so they're really a killer deal.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Quote:
alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 03-01-2016 at 06:56 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:08 PM   #6
clickclickbooml

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
The Reverend Double Agent (25.5" scale) is a good option- even though I don't own one, that was the gateway axe into Reverends for me. And I really do like the HB/P90 setup in the guitar I do own made that way. Very flexible.

But if you're really wanting to go for P90s, go whole hog and get something with 2-3 of them. In 24.75" scale Reverends, you have a few options: a Sensei 290, Tricky Gomez 290, Ron Asheton signature, Warhawk 390 in production, and the discontinued Manta Ray 290 & 390. (There are probably other discontinued ones as well.)

In the 25.5" scale, there's the Charger 290 models, the Jetstream 290, the Descent Baritone, and Stu D. Baker & Unknown Hinson sigs in production.

Godin also has some nice options, like the discontinued Core P90, and some of their newest ones (out of your price range, alas) have SD P-Rails stock.

Hagstrom's Super swede Tremar P90 is my favorite of their P90 axes.

G&L's Tribute line has a few excellent P90 guitars, like the ASATs and the Double Agent-like Fallout. They're made in Indonesia with many of the same parts as the G&L USA models, so they're really a killer deal.

Perfect! I think the Sensei is exactly what I'm looking for!!
Old 03-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Glad to help!

As a F.Y.I., the model that preceded the Sensei was the more symmetrical Daredevil, and that one ALSO had a P90 model...and you may be able to find those pretty cheaply. The one downside is that they are supposedly more neck-heavy than Senseis.

Quote:
alhaq369
Old 03-01-2016, 08:38 PM   #8
bizmarkie

Keep an eye out for a godin LG p90. Used they run in your price range and they're a great guitar for the money.
bizmarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:51 PM   #9
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

I think the LG P90 is the model that preceded the Core. They ARE sweet...pretty, too. They usually have some nice flame to them, as I recall.

Quote:
alhaq369
Old 03-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #10
jds2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickclickbooml
How much was your JM Jazzmaster? Squier, or real deal? Thanks!

I paid $400 at Guitar Center (new). It's a Squier. I'm not sure that the JM Jazzmaster with the P90-ish pickups comes as a Fender-branded guitar, but I could be wrong.
jds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:41 AM   #11
clickclickbooml

So I know these are two different style pickups, but I really like what I see with the Reverend Sensei 290, and the Sensei RA...

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the RA is more along the lines of passive EMG? high gain output? And of course the 290 is a p90 from Reverend...
Old 03-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #12
bobafettacheese

I don't think of the RA as a passive EMG at all. They are just a good humbucker, granted they do drive the amp more than a P90 but they are not compressed at all like an active. They remain articulate and punchy. I think that the P90 from Reverend is slightly hotter than most P90s I have played.

While you are looking I used to have an Agile AL-3000 with P90s and it was a gold top with an ebony board. That was a really great guitar and the P90s on that were similar to the Reverend. The Agile is well within your budget and leaves plenty of room for buying extras.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #13
clickclickbooml

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettacheese
I don't think of the RA as a passive EMG at all. They are just a good humbucker, granted they do drive the amp more than a P90 but they are not compressed at all like an active. They remain articulate and punchy. I think that the P90 from Reverend is slightly hotter than most P90s I have played.

While you are looking I used to have an Agile AL-3000 with P90s and it was a gold top with an ebony board. That was a really great guitar and the P90s on that were similar to the Reverend. The Agile is well within your budget and leaves plenty of room for buying extras.

Excellent, so the Reverend P90's seem like the way to go. I love a hotter pickup anyways, every guitar I buy my pickups are as close to the strings without sounding overbearingly out of tone.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #14
bobafettacheese

Yeah, a Rev with P90s is on my short list of guitars to buy. I have seen a couple daredevils pop up for decent prices, but I am after a Manta Ray.
Misc. Pedals
Old 03-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #15
clickclickbooml

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettacheese
Yeah, a Rev with P90s is on my short list of guitars to buy. I have seen a couple daredevils pop up for decent prices, but I am after a Manta Ray.

What's the differences between the Sensei Daredevil and the Manta Ray?

Appreciate your help btw!
Old 03-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #16
bobafettacheese

Manta Ray is semi-hollow, sensei and daredevil are very similar. Daredevil is discontinued and tended to be more symmetrical while the sensei is slightly more offset (the horns that is). Being as daredevil is no longer available they might be slightly more difficult to find, but generally can be had for cheaper than the sensei.
Misc. Pedals
Old 03-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #17
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Yep. Typically, I see Daredevils with P90s for @$450-550 in pretty good condition.

RailHammers pickups are just well-made, good sounding, somewhat innovative, passive humbuckers & HB-sized singlecoils. Some are slightly hotter than is typical, some are very hot. The Chisels in the Sensei are the second hottest HBs in the line, second only to the Anvil, which is for "bridge only".

For future reference, if you're looking for a passive HB that delivers EMG-like tones, check out Lace Alumitone Deathbuckers.

Quote:
alhaq369

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 03-02-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #18
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

fwiw jazzmaster pickups aren't p90s. I've never actually tried a jazzmaster () but they're not made the same way.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #19
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickclickbooml

My price range floats in the $500-$900 price range... Are there any guitars you would suggest I look into?

Lots of options. These are all *under* $500, which allows you to pick up a set of Mike Reilander's hand-wound pickups as well (http://reilandercustomguitar.com/pr...ry/pickups/p90/ )

Might look into one of the SX Liquids at Rondo Music. http://www.rondomusic.com/product7757.html The P90's in these are surprisingly good, as are the necks, and it's something very different from what you have.

The Agile AD-201 is a clone of the original single cutaway Specials:

http://www.rondomusic.com/AD201natch.html

And I picked up one of these about a year ago:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1063.html

dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #20
dspellman

Couple of comments regarding the P90's. First, Jazzmaster pickups are single coils, but they are not P90's. The best P90's out there are the ones that remain true to the original Gibson P90's, and usually you'll have two of the same pickup on a guitar, so be prepared NOT to have a "balanced set." This is a good thing, and how all vintage guitars were constructed.

"Hot" P90's are noisy P90's, and you're not going to be pleased with those long-term. There have been some misguided attempts by aftermarket winders to *reduce* P90 noise by underwinding them, and this has proven to simply emasculate them.

There are some "noiseless" P90's out there (I think Lindy Fralin has some not-so-great versions), but the only noiseless P90's that really sound like vintage P90's are the Kinmans, and they're a bit pricey.

A standard wound P90 can be changed a bit by changing the magnet (easily done) from A5 to A2 or Ceramic. If you're into messing with things, that's the best (and least expensive) way to go about it. My best suggestion is to leave them alone as long as possible and get used to them.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: