Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Music Theory Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #41
demonofthenight
UG Spammer

^Dont add notes, thats cheating . I dont see why you cant write a second movement, but I dont think your allowed to write another phrase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvanise69
Archeo: One question, are we allowed to phrase the ntoes of the main theme as tones of a chord, Im having trouble coming up with a melody that doesnt sound like random people farting : P
Try to find a scale that the majority of those notes fit in and stress the consonant notes of both the scale and the melody rhthymically, and use the rest of the notes as if they're passing tones.

Now my question: Am I allowed to use development in this movement? Like repeat bits (as in not all) of the phrase with modulation or change it rhythmically.

And would I be able to modulate it when its being played the second time round?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #42
Ænimus Prime
Beginner

I decided to have a quick try at making something of those godawful notes, and stumbled upon something pretty quickly. Of course, since I wasn't trying to write in 10/4, it was 4/4. So I plan to superimpose it over drums in 10/4.

I started out with the A A# B. I think there's a Hendrix song that goes something like A A# B, D D# E. So I basically stole the first half of that.
Then I had to find a way to fit a melodic tritone (D G#) into it. My solution was to all-but remove the obstacle by reducing the first note to little more than a grace note.
Then my subconscious took over. Not even thinking about rhythm or meter, I'm up to the start of the second 'bar' of 4/4, so for A C G# I use the same rhythm as the first half of the first 'bar'.
Finally for F# F, same deal, I subconsciously fit them into 4/4 with crotchets. This also sets up the descent back to A, by leading to the fifth, E.

So, just like that (it seriously took like 30 seconds max) I had my theme.
Now to add to it

I have no idea where the E Eb D harmony over the A A# B came from. I just heard it.
For the harmony over the last part of the melody (E Db D B Ab) I was just trying to adapt the same idea (descending chromatics) over the different notes, using my ear.
For the bass notes, I just played octaves of the main theme to accentuate that line. Only at the end I ascend chromatically towards A.

Then I introduced the upper and lower voices in an order that seemed slightly interesting and resolved to A5 at the end.

Anyways, here it is (if you don't have GP, I think you can use Tux Guitar)
It sounds like arse and I hate it. Any questions?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Trugly.zip (659 Bytes, 109 views)
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Old 09-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #43
Galvanise69
Banned

Mabey a one riff thing kinda quick, yeah its shit, hopefully it can be developed.

Still liked
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tone Row Thing - Crap.zip (745 Bytes, 84 views)

Last edited by Galvanise69 : 09-23-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #44
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd

Aenimus: I eliminated the time signature requirement. For the rest of you that were wondering, I eliminate the key requirement as well. You can make the notes work in whatever key you want. Keep in mind that we're only talking about the main theme. It's not the only material in the entire piece, and the rest of it is at your discretion.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #45
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeo Avis
Aenimus: I eliminated the time signature requirement. For the rest of you that were wondering, I eliminate the key requirement as well. You can make the notes work in whatever key you want. Keep in mind that we're only talking about the main theme. It's not the only material in the entire piece, and the rest of it is at your discretion.

Can we use whatever harmonies we want though?

I am sticking to 10/4, sounds better...
Old 09-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #46
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaw
Can we use whatever harmonies we want though?

Absolutely.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #47
Ead

I'm not gonna lie, this has got me pretty excited lol. All of my compositions never really go anywhere, the most I've got out of them is like 3 minutes tops. I think this will force me to expand and keep working on it. I'm gonna start soon, and I'll be working on it for a while because I want to attempt something truly epic .. and I have no idea how those notes sound right now lol. Awesome idea, Arch
Old 09-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #48
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd

All I ask, beyond following my absurdly restrictive set of borderline arbitrary rules, is that you detail the thought and theory behind your composition. The goal, after all, is education.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #49
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Quote:
Absolutely.

Maybe something like this?

I don't even know what I did, I just went crazy (maybe it doesn't follow the rules though, I don't know anything about "tone row" or whatever)....

At times I guess it is more 5/4 with different tempo rather than 10/4, but I would have to change everything....

EDIT: I'll fix it later....
Attached Files
File Type: zip Madness.zip (1.5 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by gonzaw : 09-23-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #50
michal23
=D

Here's just a basic harmony I did using the notes and the time sig.
Attached Files
File Type: zip tonalexperiment.zip (488 Bytes, 73 views)
Old 09-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #51
elvenkindje
UG Monkey

200 to 1 that the end results will sound like raped children. Action, anyone?

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Old 09-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #52
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenkindje
200 to 1 that the end results will sound like raped children. Action, anyone?

200 to 1 that mine will sound like consensual sex with sexually precocious seventeen year olds who look twenty. I swear...I'm sure they're twenty.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #53
elvenkindje
UG Monkey

Solid argument, almost got to my head

But in all seriousness, you randomly rolled some dice to picked the notes and time and you try to make it work? Music isn't something you can randomly make like that. Sure, it's a nice experiment if you're into this thing but I doubt it will sound good in any way.

Elvenkindje
Old 09-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #54
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd

Quote:

But in all seriousness, you randomly rolled some dice to picked the notes and time and you try to make it work? Music isn't something you can randomly make like that. Sure, it's a nice experiment if you're into this thing but I doubt it will sound good in any way.

I'll take that as a challenge.
Everyone else: Suck, so that I look better by comparison.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #55
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:

You can make music like that, but there is a good chance that most people won't dig listening to it. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #56
elvenkindje
UG Monkey

Sure, there's nothing wrong with it and I'm sure archeo and the others like the challenge of trying to come up with something 'musical'. Hate to use that term because it's not a word at all but I really couldn't think of another word to pick in the spot.

Archeo, could you clearly define what the purpose of this experiment is? Ninjaedit: Before you all think I'm a ****** that doesn't read the opening post, I meant to ask what he thinks will be the result of this experiment and I probably didn't make that too clear in the question.

Elvenkindje
Old 09-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #57
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd

As I said...

Quote:
Putting yourself in a box forces you to use the few liberties you have in unusual ways you may not have thought of if given the freedom to do anything.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #58
demonofthenight
UG Spammer

Quote:
200 to 1 that mine will sound like consensual sex with sexually precocious seventeen year olds who look twenty. I swear...I'm sure they're twenty.
17? pfft too old. I'm almost 18 and my girl's what 15? Not to mention the fact I'm always hitting on my cousins friends (12yo's and 15/14yo's FTW) every chance I get. I think I'm a bit sick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elven
The idea is to force it to work. You might have to change key heaps, you might have to use the weirdest looking chords ever, you might have to use the weirdest looking phrasing, but it's doable. I might actually have a go now, if I can figure out fl within the week (after a month of doodling, it still makes no sense)
Old 09-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #59
elvenkindje
UG Monkey

Quote:
As I said...

Maybe you responded before my ninjaedit or I didn't made myself clear. Do you think the result will be something you're proud of? Do you think you'll enjoy listening to it? Do you think you'll use this method more after you did this experiment?

Elvenkindje
Old 09-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #60
demonofthenight
UG Spammer

Quote:
Maybe you responded before my ninjaedit or I didn't made myself clear. Do you think the result will be something you're proud of? Do you think you'll enjoy listening to it? Do you think you'll use this method more after you did this experiment?
Well I doubt anyone enjoys listening to their species counterpoint exercises, but that doesnt mean its counterproductive.

Rate This Thread: