Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Music Theory Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

 
Old 09-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #21
PenFighter19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
From Mozart to Buckethead to Pete Townsend to Kurt Cobain, just make that sh*t rock.
PenFighter19 is offline  
Old 09-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #22
metallicafan616
Feminist
 
metallicafan616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hampshire, England.
i find emotion in all of yngwies peices and the francesco song too. i can sit there bending a note, playing sloppily and call it emotion but i prefer to be able to play what i want to play perfectly
__________________

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
metallicafan616 is offline  
Old 09-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #23
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent
 
gonzaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenFighter19
tech=/=substance

and really, I dont give a sh*t how good, technical, or flashy you are. Just make that sh*t rock. Thats all that matters


So fecal matter does actually petrify?
I'll have to try that....
gonzaw is offline  
Old 09-29-2008, 08:15 PM   #24
se012101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dallas,TX
Substance of course. If I have to choose between someone playing a simple riff well that sounds bad ass, and someone thats technically amazing but uncreative, then I'll choose the bad ass riff anyday.

However, you can have both, and that is what impresses me the most as a guitarist and music enjoyer. Michael Romeo, Paul Gilbert, and Chuck Schuldiner (not quite in the same class as the first two, but still highly skilled) are great examples of extremely skilled guitarists who have/had a lot to say musically through their use of the instrument.
se012101 is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #25
rizo299
ಠ_ಠ
 
rizo299's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
I get " HOLY FREAKING AWESOME" moments from mike portnoy all the time, as with most of the guys from dream theater.


Its called taste, people have different ones to you.
__________________
Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer w/ Gibson dirty fingers +Gibson T 500 Humbuckers
Read The Adventures of Yuji!
(a comic that's good for both the humour and the Lymph!)
Don't Join This group. seriously.
rizo299 is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 10:20 AM   #26
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
 
Freepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dublin
^ exactly. Threadstarter, you are a fool.

What you're calling style is your taste, whereas technique is how you physically play the instrument. Of course, the more you get into your instrument, the more you will discuss "technique" - especially on a guitar website - that's why it seems so prominent. Most people who seem like a technique nut simply wants to be able to create technically demanding music. It doesn't mean they don't have "style".
Freepower is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #27
Andy_Mclaughlan
UG Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scotland
I got to disagree. To me 2 of the guitarists with the most 'magical' moments are Shawn Lane and Jason Becker. Both played perfect and could play at uber speeds( Lane leaving everyone in the dust of course with the speed thing lol), but both conveyed lots and lots of emotion and are more magical to me than Kirk Hammet, Lars Ulrich and Dave Mustaine. the latter being the only one of the three whom I actually consider proficient seen as Lars Ulrich cant play for shit and Kirk Hammett is on that same wavelength. I may get slated for saying that but thats just my opinion.
Andy
Andy_Mclaughlan is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #28
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
 
GuitarMunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: on your back
^ its all a matter of opinion ..... period.
__________________
shred is gaudy music
GuitarMunky is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #29
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
 
Freepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dublin


What is emotion? Mmmm?
Freepower is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #30
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
 
z4twenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Mclaughlan
I seen as Lars Ulrich cant play for shit and Kirk Hammett is on that same wavelength


huh? what? yes, lars is a total drum noob he can barely hold a beat together and kirk sounds like he's been playing for 1 month. /sarcasm

i can't play nearly as good as hammet so i should probably just give up playing guitar huh.
__________________
41 songs in my profile, click "view all mp3's" all sorts of variety
Check out my new Industrial side project Penis Christ
http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/penischrist/
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.

Last edited by z4twenny : 09-30-2008 at 01:38 PM.
z4twenny is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #31
The_Sophist
You're real man, real
 
The_Sophist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: directly above the center of the earth
Why is this still an argument, Freepower's post covered everything, and it's all opinion anyway.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
The_Sophist is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #32
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
 
Freepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dublin
^ because if you claim anybody plays with more emotion than anybody else, there's always a huge argument because people can't accept that other people may have totally valid viewpoints.


Like that Kirk Hammet sucks.


I'll close this if it gets silly, worthwhile posts are welcome.
Freepower is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #33
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
 
GuitarMunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: on your back
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
^ because if you claim anybody plays with more emotion than anybody else, there's always a huge argument because people can't accept that other people may have totally valid viewpoints.


Like that Kirk Hammet sucks.


I'll close this if it gets silly, worthwhile posts are welcome.



I think it was silly from the start.

there is no right answer its all opinion.
__________________
shred is gaudy music
GuitarMunky is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #34
Zakk_Lp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Skegness
The way i see it is most people go to gigs (If were talking rock/Metal) to be entertained rather than to sit back and take in the music.
Zakk_Lp is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #35
The_Sophist
You're real man, real
 
The_Sophist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: directly above the center of the earth
What's the difference. Music was designed to entertain, and this argument is just over which way is better for it, "emotion" or "technique". The fact of the matter is, neither way is "better", because music simply cannot be better then other music, it's just someone or a number of peoples opinion, which holds no merit over the opinions of others.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
The_Sophist is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #36
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
 
Freepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakk_Lp
The way i see it is most people go to gigs (If were talking rock/Metal) to be entertained rather than to sit back and take in the music.

I'm going to assume you mean widdly guitar technique =/= a good show.
Stage presence is improved by technique, imo. The ability to easily play your material is important if you want to look cool in any genre. Look at Steve Vai's gigs. The man has monstrous energy and stage presence and widdles constantly.
Freepower is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #37
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
 
z4twenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMunky
there is no right answer its all opinion.


this... this is right.
__________________
41 songs in my profile, click "view all mp3's" all sorts of variety
Check out my new Industrial side project Penis Christ
http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/penischrist/
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #38
bangoodcharlote
Fractal
 
bangoodcharlote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: USA
Oh, fuck, another one of these.

The two are not mutually exclusive. Please listen to the "Tornado of Souls" solo or some of Dream Theater's work.

Speedy music has been around for hundreds of years. It's only when it's an distorted guitar that people bitch and moan.

I also don't get why one would want to not be as good as possible at the guitar. Why wouldn't you want to be perfect?

*Reported*

Mods: Can we please get an official ban of "speed vs. feeling" threads, even when they have clever titles?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonofthenight
Sue, you amaze, gross, educate wonder, inspire and turn me on so much


"Melodic Control" by Marty Friedman: A video on soloing
A Great Theory Lesson

A Harmonizing Lesson
The Correct Way To Play The Gallop

~Sue
bangoodcharlote is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 05:55 PM   #39
Retro Rocker
Banned
 
Retro Rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cradle of the Railways, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
I'm going to assume you mean widdly guitar technique =/= a good show.
Stage presence is improved by technique, imo. The ability to easily play your material is important if you want to look cool in any genre. Look at Steve Vai's gigs. The man has monstrous energy and stage presence and widdles constantly.

Steve is no mere man

Until someone explains to me which sequence of notes conveys the sad feeling of going to the fridge and not finding the tasty beef strips I was looking for, I'll have to pass off the 'emotion' argument as a bullshit excuse for avoiding hard work.
Retro Rocker is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #40
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
 
GuitarMunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: on your back
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangoodcharlote
Oh, fuck, another one of these.


*Reported*



Quote:
Originally Posted by bangoodcharlote
Speedy music has been around for hundreds of years. It's only when it's an distorted guitar that people bitch and moan.


Well there is a reason that shredders get the "no feeling" label. It may be unfair to a certain degree, but there is some substance to the stereo type.
__________________
shred is gaudy music

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 09-30-2008 at 06:26 PM.
GuitarMunky is offline  
 


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:24 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.