Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-13-2015, 12:47 AM   #1
XenQC

How to use head amp ( Laney VH100R ), with no cab ?

First of all, this is my first post, but this is also the first place I thought about asking my question... I always end up here when checking reviews and such, and I know this is the best place to start...!

Simple question, how can I try my new Laney VH100R, but with no cab ?

I already read I can't plug headphones in it ( no headphone output ), and it therfore it seems logical I cannot plug just any random speakers in this...

I was wondering, if I could use my Yamaha stagepas 600 to try it out ? I didnt want to risk it.... but, well the speakers are passive... and their input is a mono jack, I was just change the Stagepas console for my Laney amp....

But again, didnt want to risk it

I bought this amp used, and I couldnt try it out.... I know, I wanted to, but only the GF was their, and I said I would call back if there's a problem....

But I need a way to try it out now ! Since I haven't found my cab yet....

SPEAKING OF CAB !!!

What would you use with this particular head ? ( Laney VH100R )

I'm totally new in the world of stacks... always played with my digitech mfx and my comp...

Thanks a bunch !!
XenQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:25 AM   #2
Roc8995

Nope. Nope nope nope. No head without cab. Smoke and sadness that way.

There is a device called a load box that you could use, but I assume you don't have one of those.

Keep in mind that a cab is just a box with passive speakers in it, but the wattage handling and the impedance (ohms) are both very important. You need more or equal watts on the cab (preferably more) and identical ohms on the cab and head.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #3
XenQC

Thanks a lot for the answer bro

I'm really scared of plugging it... not counting the stress that the Amp might not work... ( bought it used from a random guy 500$... )

This said, if the stagepas 600i are passive speakers, and according to spec have an impedance load of 4ohms, could I plug it into the Laney VH100R?

There IS a 4 ohm plug at the backside... but also into a bigger rectangle ( drawed ) with a 2*8 ohms

Smaller rectangle in it( which include only one jack plug ) is indicated 1*4 ohms ( I assume I can plug only 1 speaker with 4 ohms impedance ? )

The bigger drawed rectangle, including that one state above, and another jack, indicates 2*8ohms ( I assume I can plug 2 8 ohms passive speaker, one instead of the first one stated above ? ( But must have both 8 ohms plugged in to do so... ? )

This is all speculation... I have no clue.

How does that sound, would you risk it ? I have no cab still and I REALLY need to try this head, because if it doesnt work im screwed

Thanks !!!
Old 01-17-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
Ippon
Amped

I have the older VH100R, the one with the 2 leather handles. The newer one has the 2 metal handles.

On mine, the speaker connections are: 1 x 16 ohms, 2 x 16 ohms, 1 x 8 Ohms, 2 x 8 ohms. The load (speaker cab) should match the amp's; so, you can't connect the 4 ohm speaker cab.

Edit: bring your head to a music shop to test with an appropriate cab.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Congrats on the new head! I have one myself, great amp.

Honestly, I wouldn't take the risk of plugging a guitar amp into anything other than a dedicated guitar speaker cabinet.

What you see on the back of the amp with the boxes and speaker loads describes if you want to plug in one or two cabinets. So if you have one 4 ohm cab, you plug a speaker cable from the 1x4 ohm out on the amp to the input of the cabinet. If you have two 8 ohm cabs, you do two speaker cables out, one from each out in that 2x8 ohm block and the total resistance on the head will be 4 ohms (because they are run in parallel).

As for what I use with the head, I have a Seismic Audio speaker cabinet with 2 8 ohm Eminence V128s. Total cab resistance is 4 ohms. Depending if you live in the US or Europe I'd look at what I have if you're in the US ($140 for the cab and $140 for the speaker pair) and the Harley Benton 2x12 from Thomann if you're in Europe Fair warning, though, this amp is LOUD. I'd also recommend a volume or wattage attenuator. I use a POD HD500 in the FX loop to cut down the volume.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 POD HD500
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
TheStig1214 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #6
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
I have the older VH100R, the one with the 2 leather handles. The newer one has the 2 metal handles.

On mine, the speaker connections are: 1 x 16 ohms, 2 x 16 ohms, 1 x 8 Ohms, 2 x 8 ohms. The load (speaker cab) should match the amp's; so, you can't connect the 4 ohm speaker cab.

Edit: bring your head to a music shop to test with an appropriate cab.

Then the 2x 8ohms is the 4ohm tap
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:05 PM   #7
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Then the 2x 8ohms is the 4ohm tap

Doh! Apologies. Haven't slept since yesterday.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #8
XenQC

Ahh Thanks a lot for all the advice!

That makes a lot of sense.. I CANT WAIT to try my new head haha, I never played in a head before either...

Since my Stagepas 600's speaker impedance load is 4 ohms, and they are 340W each, I assume I could plug one of them into that 1*4ohms output....

But... I dont think I wanna risk to blow the tube amp...

According what I read it seems pretty touchy to handle... I actually turned it on for a few minutes when I came back home, only to see it was working... I then read that some amp could fail after doing that....

Crossing fingers that nothing happened.. It didnt seem like it had any effect but im clueless...

Well I'll keep ya updated, I'm searching for a decent cab but dont wanna buy any random crap...!!

Oh and for the attenuator, I'm glad to hear you can use an HD500 for it... I assume my RP500 would do as well !
Old 01-17-2015, 07:05 PM   #9
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

As long as you didn't take it off standby you should be good. You can turn a tube amp on without a speaker plugged it as long as it is on standby, the second you hit that standby switch is when shit hits the fan. Resistors fry, transformers quit, tubes blow. Basically if you didn't see smoke I'd say you're good.

The RP500 should work. How I'd use it is the same as my POD, run it in the Insert loop. On the back of the amp you will see and FX loop switch that says "Bypass" "Side Chain" and "Insert". Set it to insert. In the "Insert" Block you'll have a send, return and a return level. Go Insert send out to the RP 500 input and RP output to the Insert return. Then make sure the output level on the RP 500 is on "amp" and not "mixer". That will cut the volume more or less in half. "Mixer" would be full line level volume running in the loop. Beyond that you can also adjust the return level on the amp for further volume control, then of course the master volumes on either channel of the amp.

Just make sure you don't use any amp sims with the RP, use it for effects only.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 POD HD500
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
TheStig1214 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:14 AM   #10
XenQC

Ohh this is all some pretty good info Stig Thanks a lot ! I'll have to check all this out this week, can't wait to plug my pedal in the loop, this will help me a whole lot !

It's been over 15 years I play guitar and this is the first time I have play a stack.. I found a deal for an Hughes & Kettner 4x12 Cab with V30 in it, and it also came with a H&K Switchblade head

I am curious, if anyone care... Is this supposed to be a suitable amp for metal ? I found it was lacking gain terribly, I can't even make my strings screams... And also when I put it in lead ( the H&K switchblade head that is, not the Laney ) The volume goes down by over half, is this normal ?

Anyway, had the H&K stack for 700$, I thought I could resell the head, but the cab is totally badass !

Oh and, Wow, for the VH100R... I am totally amazed, how powerful this thing sound in the cab.... I have stagespas 600i, and this is nowhere close to it.. unbelievable.,,!

I pretty much dont need the pedal, it sounds already great for playing down tuned metal ( 8 strings, in A# )

But I hope my noise gate on my pedal will reduce the feedback, because at high volume I really can't mute the strings, even tho I have active pickups... I guess this is the world of stacks and live playing uh !

I might come back for more

This is only the beginning.......
Old 01-19-2015, 01:27 AM   #11
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Switchblade sounds like it needs tubes.

But glad you're happy with the VH.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 POD HD500