Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
dombar335

OD Recommendation for Super Champ X2?

What OD pedals have people had that pair well with the Super Champ X2 Channel 1? Currently I have a Bad Monkey and to me it just seems very muddy. I'm leaning towards an OCD or one of it's mini clones like the Mooer Hustle Drive.

My guitar is a Epiphone ES-335 Pro, used mainly on the neck pickup with the coil split to the single coil setting.

Looking to be $100 or less. Mainly used in a P&W Setting but at home I play indie stuff like My Morning Jacket, Arctic Monkeys, Oasis, U2 and R.E.M.
dombar335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
Will Lane
ee-elle-atey-for

Try voicing 9 or 10. I think those are VOX simulations so you might like their breakup voicing better. Dial the amp in so that you get just a tiny bit of breakup when you hit the strings hard.

For the OD pedal, the first one that comes to mind with your budget is an actual TS9. The Bad Monkey is good for the price but as you can see you have grown out of it. And as you know, the market is saturated with OD pedals. You have to find the voicing you like.

If you want a better tubescreamer-like OD, try the TS9. Maybe you want to try a klone voicing? The EHX Soul Food is a good place to start. I have a Chellee Ponyboy which is a bit past your budget but it is a better Klone than the Soul Food, but both will get you where you need to go. Also check out the EHX Crayon.

Here is what MF has with a $50-$100 filter: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/sear...urrencyCode=USD

Now your amp is a hybrid of tube and solid state. I do not have any hands-on experience with the SC X2, but the solid state end of it may not be doing you any service. Maybe you want to look into investing in a full tube amp eventually?

Last edited by Will Lane : 03-30-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
Cajundaddy

On Ch1 I like the OCD for classic rock and blues on the edge of breakup. It sounds a lot like a cranked up Deluxe Reverb. OD on Ch2 is ugly due to DSP. For voices on Ch2 I like 3 (tweed), 7 (AC30), and 8 (JTM45). All three require different gain settings.

Very useable vintage rock tone in this thing.

Edit: mine is the older SCXD so voice selections may have changed.

Last edited by Cajundaddy : 03-30-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
Will Lane
ee-elle-atey-for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
On Ch1 I like the OCD for classic rock and blues on the edge of breakup. It sounds a lot like a cranked up Deluxe Reverb. OD on Ch2 is ugly due to DSP. For voices on Ch2 I like 3 (tweed), 7 (AC30), and 8 (JTM45). All three require different gain settings.

Very useable vintage rock tone in this thing.
The manual I am reading says voicing 7 is a 65 Deluxe and 8 is a 65 Twin Amp. 9 and 10 read 60's British so I thought those were the VOXes.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
Cajundaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Lane
The manual I am reading says voicing 7 is a 65 Deluxe and 8 is a 65 Twin Amp. 9 and 10 read 60's British so I thought those were the VOXes.

Mine is the older Super Champ XD so the voice selections may have changed on the new one. When in doubt, RTFM
Old 03-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #6
Will Lane
ee-elle-atey-for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
Mine is the older Super Champ XD so the voice selections may have changed on the new one. When in doubt, RTFM
Ah okay. I think you can also change how the voicings are listed with the FUSE software so all we have been saying could be moot if TS changed it in the software.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #7
dombar335

Voice 9 and 10 are the British voices. So far, I've found them the most use able gain on Channel 2. Voice 2 (Tweed Deluxe) isn't bad either.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #8
Will Lane
ee-elle-atey-for

Quote:
Originally Posted by dombar335
Voice 9 and 10 are the British voices. So far, I've found them the most use able gain on Channel 2. Voice 2 (Tweed Deluxe) isn't bad either.
Woohoo! Maybe a VOX is calling your name?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
dombar335

My eventual plan is to get an AC4 for that type of stuff. But I just got the Super Champ X2 for the versatility. Overall, I'm satisfied with it. I mainly use Channel 1 at church and use Channel 2 for messing around at home.

Last edited by dombar335 : 03-30-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #10
Cajundaddy

Best grab-n-go amp I have ever owned. I like ch1 Fender Deluxe clean, ch1 OCD for a little grit, and JTM45 for Jimi, Deep Purple, AC/DC etc. A lotta amp for practice, jamming with friends, worship, and small gigs.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #11
dombar335

A little late update on this. I went with a real deal OCD. Works great! On channel 1 I can get the Fender clean and then use the OCD to get some British sounding crunch.

Rate This Thread: