Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Zerpent93

Want better metal sound/badass dist!

I am just a beginner and do not really have any fancy or great gear but here is what I use:
- Guitar: Ibanez grg170dx-bkn
- Amp: Line 6 Spider III
- Pick: Jazz III Ultex 2.0
- Strings: Ernie Ball Super Slinky (9s)

I play lead metal mostly and want to get a really strong/badass dist metal sound. I recently bought the Ibanez guitar which I am really happy with. But what do you think about the Line 6 Spider III amp for metal music? Is it a bad/ok/good amp if you want a really good dist metal sound? If I'm going to buy a new amp it will be a static state amp. Will another more expensive static state amp give a better metal sound with stronger dist or should I just keep my Line 6 Spider III amp? If I should buy another static state amp for good metal sound below 1000$ then which one(s) should I buy? Will it make a big difference in sound compared to my Line 6 Spider III?

Sorry if I sound stupid but I am just a beginner and do not know much about amps and so on. Btw, I only play in my room and do not need an amp for big gigs.

Last edited by Zerpent93 : 10-10-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Zerpent93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i don't have that much experience with the modellers, but most people say the peavey vypyr sounds a bit better than the spider. However, that's if you haven't bought anything yet i.e. you might as well buy the best one if you haven't committed yourself yet. Whether it sounds enough better to be worth upgrading to is another matter- I'm not sure.

There are better/dearer solid state and/or modelling amps but again whether they're worth it, I dunno. Tube might be better- especially if you know that all you want is metal, where you don't need the versatility of a modeller, and where a lot of the tone is in preamp distortion anyway so cranking a tube amp for good tone becomes less important, as long as you don't have to play at whisper volume all the time.

Until you get up to stuff like the axe fx maybe, but then it's seriously expensive, and just overkill in a slightly different way from tube for bedroom playing... (I don't really buy the overkill argument, I'm just saying if you do that both are guilty of it )

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #3
diabolical

Solid state: Randall probably will be my only choice new for metal, there are some Ampeq and Marshall heads used that might be considered.
For that budget you should be able to get a 6505 combo or Marshall dsl2000 head+cab used or one of the combos, no need to suffer with Line6 cheese grater sound. If you're dead set on keeping that amp, look at Bkackstar ht metal or Sansamp gt-2 pedals.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
Jeffh40

If you have $1000 to spend, why are you wanting a solid state amp? You should be looking at a 6505+.
Jeffh40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Ditch the Spider, it's a piece of shit.
http://www.baroncustomamps.com/snott.php

Where do you live? We may be able to find something even better but we can't do that if we don't know what country you are in.

And btw, it's "solid state", not "static state"
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:46 AM   #6
Zerpent93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Ditch the Spider, it's a piece of shit.
http://www.baroncustomamps.com/snott.php

Where do you live? We may be able to find something even better but we can't do that if we don't know what country you are in.

And btw, it's "solid state", not "static state"

I live in Sweden . Btw, thanks for all answers I will take a look at the models you've mentioned. Sorry for the 'static state' thing lol.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:20 AM   #7
diabolical

In the case of the Spyder, "static" actually describes the sound pretty accurately 😂
Old 10-11-2014, 03:32 AM   #8
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

There's no reason to limit yourself to SS amps, especially with a budget of a thousand dollars. You could get a nice tube amp plus a full set of tubes for that.

You may not need a gigging amp, but again, I wouldn't limit myself. The reason to get small amps is to get power amp distortion. For modern metal, power amp distortion is usually a bad thing so getting a high wattage amp won't hurt you, especially if you go solid state. Solid state power amp distortion is just awful.
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:13 AM   #9
diabolical

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas38
For modern metal, power amp distortion is usually a bad thing

???
I don't buy that statement but the rest is correct.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:49 AM   #10
Zerpent93

Do tube amps sound as good as solid state amps when playing at a VERY low volume? I usually play on low volume when practicing and I rarely crank it up since I have tinnitus and noise sensitivity and stuff like that.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
boblittle
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerpent93
Do tube amps sound as good as solid state amps when playing at a VERY low volume? I usually play on low volume when practicing and I rarely crank it up since I have tinnitus and noise sensitivity and stuff like that.

A good amp sounds good at low volume. A bad amp sounds bad at low volumes
A good amp sounds good a high volume. A bad amp sounds bad at high volumes.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
boblittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerpent93

It depends on what your exact definition of "VERY low volume" is, unfortunately.

For my own personal situation (playing at home but I don't share walls with neighbours), and in my opinion, tube still sounds good enough to be worth it. It's still "low" volume (Master at 1, maybe less), but it's a bit louder than TV volume. Sort of shouting volume, I'd say (~90-95dB).

if you're down at whisper volume, though, I dunno about tube.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #13
Zerpent93

Will this Kirk Hammet amp give me better metal sound than my Line6 Spider III? How much better? Is it worth the money?:
http://www.thomann.de/se/randall_kh75_combox_series.htm

Btw, I really like Metallica and Kirk Hammet but maybe that doesn't matter much.

Last edited by Zerpent93 : 10-11-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #14
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I haven't tried it

you can get a jet city for 400 euros, though, which is basically a cheaper (tube) soldano

Old 10-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #15
JGM258

An amp's tone can change alot depending on volume. Some tube amps are designed to have different tonal characteristics at different volumes (especially considering volume factors in with pre amp and power amp dostortion). My advice is to try whatever you can before you buy, and if you cant, go for the regulars' recommendations.
JGM258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #16
teamscorpions

as much as i like Randall's if you can get a Jet City tube amp for the same price as the Randall KH75 SS amp get the Jet City...i'm thinking of picking one up for the heck of it...the vetrans here recomend them in every budget minded metal amp thread
Peavey VTM 120
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
teamscorpions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #17
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

If you need VERY low volume, below conversation level, it may be best to get a Line 6 POD HD and a good (good is important here) set of headphones. Is Metallica the sound you Re going for? Newer or older?

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #18
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Get a used vypyr or a pod. Save the rest till you decide you want something bigger or something else. A beginner buying a 1000 dollar amp is silly.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
If you need VERY low volume, below conversation level, it may be best to get a Line 6 POD HD and a good (good is important here) set of headphones. Is Metallica the sound you Re going for? Newer or older?

Yeah that's sort of what I was implying. If you can get up to loud home cinema/action movie DVD type volume levels, tube is (probably; depends a fair bit on personal preference too and also the exact type of tones you're after) ok and probably worth it. If you can only get up to TV-with-a-baby-sleeping-next-door volume levels, maybe not so much.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:01 AM   #20
dgonz
Rectified

How is the f*** do you expect to get a "badass metal tone" at whisper volumes? Think about that question.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
dgonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: