Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #1
rtfk101
Blanned

Can anyone tell me more about this amp?

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/...zpsscec0egu.jpg

Ive been told its a Fender 65 twin reverb, but id like to know more about it, specifically what year this could be, what tubes it uses, what its worth, etc. i know the reissue of this amp is pretty pricey so would this be worth more or less, being older? i know it was purchased at the latest in the 90s, but the original owner is unfortunately dead. im now considering buying it but i dont know what i would pay or anything else. any info you can give me on this amp would be great. thanks!
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
rtfk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:52 PM   #2
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

It's a '72 or newer Silverface Twin, looks pretty well used, I'd say in the neighborhood of $600
Old 04-13-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
rtfk101
Blanned

yeah the mesh on the front was "customized" courtesy of our 2 cats, Dio and Tigre
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Old 04-13-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
Robbgnarly

In the condition it's in $400-$450. The Silver face amps are not super collectible, but people are starting to snatch them up for bigger prices. get some new grill cloth and $600-$700 is not un-reasonable. They have the exact replacement here www.mojotone.com
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #5
Cajundaddy

You can "Blackface circuit" this amp and get the sweetest Fender tone anywhere. Great clean tones and loud as hell. If you don't mind dragging around 85 lbs she is a keeper.

4-6L6 power tubes make it sing.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #6
Paleo Pete

OK. It was made long after 65, they still made the blackface till 68. It has a master volume, so it's probably around a 72 or later model. Fender amp Field Guide says 72-83 were master volume amps.

Can't be brought back to the blackface specs without replacing the power transformer, maybe output transformer too. Only the first couple of years of silverface amps could be blackfaced easily without transformer replacement. ($125 for the last one I bought, 10 years ago) My 73 Super Reverb has the 5U4 rectifier tube, so it would require a transformer, I did a couple of mods but not a full blackface. It has a couple of capacitors that may make a difference, but some of the blackface mods will not work due to the change in transformer, and therefore rectifier tube. The blackface usually had a GZ34 rectifier.

Tube list here http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/

Check here for info on dating Fender amps by serial number, google for other links, I thought I had several bookmarked but only have 2...

http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp6.htm
Old 04-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #7
rtfk101
Blanned

ok what does blackface cirut mean and what is a transformer. im not a total stranger to tube amps but have never heard either term before
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Old 04-14-2015, 02:11 AM   #8
Cajundaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfk101
ok what does blackface cirut mean and what is a transformer. im not a total stranger to tube amps but have never heard either term before

Blackface Fenders are arguably the best sounding amps to ever come out of Fender Fullerton. If you don't understand what a transformer is this info may be of no use to you. Pete is probably right that this amp is too late in production to restore to Blackface specs. It is what it is.

http://acruhl.freeshell.org/mga/main/bf_vs_sf.html

Last edited by Cajundaddy : 04-14-2015 at 02:26 AM.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #9
Rickholly74

It's not from 1965 for sure with the silver face and I think Paleo Pete is correct about the Blackface up till 1968. The one in the picture has a "Master" volume that didn't happen till much later. I'm guessing here but I'd say mid 70's maybe. I know I had an early 70's modal (I think mine was bought new in 1972). I didn't have a Master Volume. It was one of the best amps I ever owned. Traded it for a Peavey Mace also a nice amp but the Mace had Master Volume for a little dirt and crunch which is why I got rid of the Twin.

Last edited by Rickholly74 : 04-14-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Rickholly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #10
Paleo Pete

Blackface - Your amp has a silver faceplate where the knobs are. Older Fender amps made before 1968 had a black one and are commonly called blackface. Yours is commonly called silverface, due to that faceplate.

A transformer reduces or increases electrical voltage, and in the case of tube amps also converts 110V AC to various voltages DC. The tubes use up to 500VDC, the heaters use 6.3VDC. The power transformer produces those voltages for the amp to use, from the 110VAC house current you plug into. It actually averages about 117V. Some is as high as 120, I checked mine a while back and it was 122V. I've checked other places and found as low as 114V.

The output transformer is similar, but it converts it to a low voltage speaker signal, and at the impedance for a certain speaker load. The ones used in some amps have outputs for 4 and 8 ohm so you can use different speaker loads.

The transformers used in the blackface amps were still used until some time in the early 70's, CBS still had a bunch of parts in stock from when Leo Fender sold the company. Then they started buying newer ones, and the rectifier tube changed. When the rectifier tube is not the same as the GZ34 used in many of the blackface amps, that transformer has to be changed too to bring it back to the same electrical circuit used in the blackface amps. Most that still have the GZ34 rectifier tube can be modified back to the exact same circuit used in 1966 or 67 when Leo sold the company, by swapping out a few resistors and capacitors. That's called blackfacing. Mine can't be done, it has a 5U4 rectifier, so it has a different transformer that won't handle the GZ34, so I can only go partway. But I did what I could and it sounds great.

The reason for making these modifications, is CBS started making changes to the amps when they started running out of Leo's parts. My Super Reverb had so much loud, boomy bass it was practically useless. One capacitor swap made it usable. 5 minutes and about 3 bucks...other changes were made too, some that can be reversed easily, some that cannot due to transformer changes. But that's why Marshall became the most popular amp on the market in the early 70's. Fender amps until then were king of the hill, CBS made changes the musicians didn't like and they didn't listen to the musicians, which Leo Fender did. That's why his amps sounded so good. So the musicians started looking around for amps that sounded like what they were looking for, and Fender was not it. Fender became weak and wimpy, too much bass, in many cases lost the really high highs that gave it that sparkly or chimey sound they liked...so they moved away from Fender and one day Jim Marshall built an amp for Pete Townsend and one for Eric Clapton...Clapton's amp became known as the Bluesbreaker, and I think it was the earlier one, named after the band he was playing for, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. I'm not sure, but I think it was a 30 watt 2x12 combo.

The one he built for Pete Townsend was a 200 watt job with a huge cabinet holding eight 12" speakers. Petey loved it but went back and said the cab was too much, so they cut it down to a pair of 4x12's.

And that's how Marshall became top dog in the amp market...CBS Fender handed it to them on a silver platter...simply by not listening to the musicians.

Last edited by Paleo Pete : 04-14-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Paleo Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #11
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

All Fenders were better when Leo held the reigns, amps and guitars alike.
Randall RM100 & RM20
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:20 PM   #12
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
All Fenders were better when Leo held the reigns, amps and guitars alike.

That is what MM and G&L are for
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: