Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
TheLoudOne24

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus

I'm looking at buying a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus to power my board, but I know nothing about power supplies and I'm unsure if my pedals will work okay with it? I'm aware this might be a ridiculous question but.. yeah

I've looked at the power requirements for each of my pedals and got this:

-Boss TU-3: 9V DC
-Ibanez TS9: 9V AC
-Eventide Pitch Factor: 9V DC (this one also says 500mA?)
-Dunlop JC95: 9V DC
-MXR ZW38: 9V DC
-MXR M169: 9V DC

I'm guessing I can run the Boss, Dunlop and two MXRs through the first four ACA outputs?

The Eventide has a different adaptor on the boxed power supply, but I'm guessing I'll need to buy one of the Voodoo Lab reverse polarity cables for that, right? I assume this will also deal with the 500mA thing too?

The one I'm completely confused about is the Ibanez... Because it's 9V AC, does that mean I won't be able to connect it to the Pedal Power or do I need to buy an AC cable from Voodoo too?

Apologies for the long post, hope someone can help..!
TheLoudOne24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
ikey_

yes. it will. ibanez AC? you sure? pretty sure all screamers can do 9 volt DC??

i have a walrus audio Aetos. it has a seperate grounded 3 plug AC output specifically to power big multi units. that is fairly unique in the industry. may work for you.
http://walrusaudio.com/shop/aetos-clean-power-supply/

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...highlight=aetos

terrible quality, but you can see in the second picture, the far left side has an outlet, 3 prong. thats for AC out. so the supply will convert from DC to AC on board without have to use a seperate wall wart. or, you just plug that wall wart into the aetos and you are not glued to the wall. generally the wall warts have a short chord, and that can limit your stage flexibility, this way you are plugged into your board, whereever that is.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)

Last edited by ikey_ : 01-23-2015 at 08:56 PM.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
TheLoudOne24

Ah, cheers!

I got the Ibanez AC from the manual: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/manual/effects/TS9.pdf I might be misinterpreting it though!

Would the Aetos be able to run the Eventide though? It's listed as needing 500mA and the power supply jack is different to the ones on my daisy chain. i.e. I have to have two plugs, one for the Eventide and one for the rest of my pedals (daisy chain).

Maybe it would work if I bought the reverse polarity cable from Voodoo Lab?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:22 PM   #4
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

The Voodoo Lab will run all of those just fine except the Eventide.
IIRC, For the Eventide you are going to need a seperate adapter.
I'm not sure if the PP2+ has a 500Ma output. Check the PP2+ manual (it should be on their website).
The Voodoo Lab does have an AC out connection (its on the opposite side of the dc ou connections).
Its kind of in an awkward location IMO though. Particularly if you mount it underneath a pedalboard up against one of the sides (with the AC connection at one of the sides, how I mounted mine without thinking), although it also comes with mounting hardware for mounting to a pedalboard (mine did at least).

What i did on my pedalboard, is mount a power strip underneath it.
I have the PP2+, and another adapter (18v for a fulldrive2 and and Ibanez 10 band EQ), and another 12volt adapter (TC Nova Delay) connected to the power strip.

This way i still only have to worry about one power cord for my pedalboard. And the powerstrip I use also has a switch on it to cut power.
Its just a standard power strip you can get at any Walmart/hardware/office supply store.

Edit:
And the TS9 is DC.
The AC you may be reading is probably talking about a power adapter.
They most often use AC on the input but the output is most often DC at a lower voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings.

My friends call me Rob.

Last edited by CodeMonk : 01-23-2015 at 09:28 PM.
CodeMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
TheLoudOne24

That's what I was after, CodeMonk!

Just checked the PP2+ manual and there's no 500mA output unfortunately. There is two 250mA outputs though, so surely I could get an adapter cable to combine and double the current to 500mA? Or would that blow the pedal?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:20 PM   #6
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

IIRC, you can use 2 outputs on the PP2+ to double the voltage, but not the current.
You can use 2 of the PP2+'s outputs to get 18volts, but still only 250mA.
So yeah, you will fry the pedal.

When talking about current and voltage when it comes to pedals and adapters...
Current listed on a pedal tells you how much current (listed in mA) that the pedal needs to operate properly.
Current listed on a power supply tells you how much current the power supply is able to supply.
The pedal only takes the current that it needs.
So if you have a pedal that needs 500mA, and an adapter that is says it can provide 1000mA, its fine to use (given proper voltage and polarity).
That power supply is not going to "push" 1000mA of current at the pedal.

Quote:
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings.

My friends call me Rob.

Last edited by CodeMonk : 01-23-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:08 AM   #7
TheLoudOne24

Ahh, okay, that makes much more sense.

Cheers for your help guys!
Old 01-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #8
ikey_

holy cow...1200 mA DC? ugh. dude im not sure many power supplies on teh market can do that.

right. i Y jacked 2 ports on my aetos to give 18 volts for my older overdrive. but still, 1200 ma is a problem. that may be a job for one of those tuge supplies people make, those monster 300 dollar, 10-12 jack supplies, the Mondo or something? you may just have to stick to the wall wart, direct plugin to the wall.

...so, if the eventide needs AC in, can he plug his eventide into the 120volt AC out of the aetos? that would work. i just dont know anything about the eventide.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)

Last edited by ikey_ : 01-24-2015 at 01:01 PM.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #9
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
holy cow...1200 mA DC? ugh. dude im not sure many power supplies on teh market can do that.

right. i Y jacked 2 ports on my aetos to give 18 volts for my older overdrive. but still, 1200 ma is a problem. that may be a job for one of those tuge supplies people make, those monster 300 dollar, 10-12 jack supplies, the Mondo or something? you may just have to stick to the wall wart, direct plugin to the wall.

...so, if the eventide needs AC in, can he plug his eventide into the 120volt AC out of the aetos? that would work. i just dont know anything about the eventide.

The One Spot is rated at 1700mA.

Quote:

My friends call me Rob.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #10
nabzblitz
marry me,bury me

Well since this thread is here I might as well just post a similar question. I have a similar set-up and I'm not sure if the PP2+ can run everything. Can someone help me out? I'm really new with pedal powers so I'm not really sure what I should be considering and stuff.

1. Boss TU-3
2. Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9
3. EHX Big Muff Pi
4. MXR Carbon Copy
5. Boss DD-3
6. MXR Phase 90
7. TC Electronics Hall Of Fame

Thanks in advance!
nabzblitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: