Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #61
IbanezPsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartdevil_metal
Didn't you just steal it off your ultra?

Nope, your thinking Peavey Triple.... Ultras dont have anything on them..
Old 10-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #62
bartdevil_metal
Uses Jackson and Line6.

My mistake
Old 10-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #63
Jason43
Now you know...

So has anyone gotten into any internal modifications on these yet, aside from tubes and speaker swaps?
Jason43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #64
bartdevil_metal
Uses Jackson and Line6.

I seem to remember there being a diode replacement that sorted out the gain boost clip, I can't remember what user did it though.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #65
IbanezPsycho

Also there was a fix posted about the switching delay.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #66
fuzzyDXMG
Ug's Cabinetbuilder

I still love my valve king, it was my first real amp. Heres a tip for all you heavy players out there. GET a sonic maximizer. I got one years ago for 50$ Run that jammy through the effects loop and watch the tightness come out of your amp. I still plug in my VK with the sonic max on it after all these years(and amps). Great amp!
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
fuzzyDXMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #67
bartdevil_metal
Uses Jackson and Line6.

^Meh, they start off grreat, then they start to annoy me.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #68
IbanezPsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartdevil_metal
^Meh, they start off grreat, then they start to annoy me.

+1

I got the latest and greatest rack mounted one and was like man this is amazing then started to notice the digitial trail and it got quite annoying. Also you can acheive better results with an eq.. I was able to match the tone with my M108 minus the digital presence.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #69
sesstreets
Spiral out. Keep going.

I honestly think the reason valvekings have such a bad rep is because of the stupid fanboyism and bandwagoning.

"Oh you hate valvekings? I hate them too"
"But you never tried it."
"Doesn't matter I just want to sound cool on the forum"
sesstreets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #70
IbanezPsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesstreets
I honestly think the reason valvekings have such a bad rep is because of the stupid fanboyism and bandwagoning.

"Oh you hate valvekings? I hate them too"
"But you never tried it."
"Doesn't matter I just want to sound cool on the forum"

Honestly its mostly from none owners demoing the amp. You cant demo this amp not knowing how to set it up. It has alot of quirks and the same is said about Mesa's so I dont take it to heart. You get people that only spend 5 minutes with amp on the stock speakers and 95% are going hate it. Honestly I hated the amp for months even after the purchase but I worked through it learning everything I could and it still sits on my cab to this date because I know what it likes and doest like. The good thing is threads like this, before this valveking owners had nothing lol. And prospect valveking owners had no guide lines so they would go out and demo them and hate them. Now that is being turned around.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #71
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

+1 completely agreed IP.

Most people that walk into the store and just plug in will not like it at first. It took me a month to get the tweaking right and speaker broke in, etc. Granted that wasn't 12 hour days for 30 days but you get my point.

You know I didn't care much for the Crate Vs either but could be for the same reason as above. The Valveking 112 sounds damn good for a $400 amp.

I will say, I could not live with this amp without my Bad Monkey.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 10-04-2008 at 01:20 AM.
311ZOSOVHJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #72
Necrophagist777
Fusion = The New Shred

Agreed, at first i liked it, but wasnt too impressed, with every day of tweaking i'm liking it more and more. And with a bad monkey for the price you cant beat it.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Necrophagist777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #73
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Hey Necro - I was looking at the old thread and it looked like you had some questions or clips or something. Do you want to start over here?
311ZOSOVHJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #74
Jason43
Now you know...

Well, I bought a 212 at the beginning of the year and can honestly say that the more time I spend with it, the less impressed I am with it. I think for the money, it's an ok valve amp, but it starts to lose some of its bang for the buck status when you have to throw $150 bucks worth of speakers at it, $75 bucks worth of tubes in it, an OD, an EQ etc before it will start to sound decent. I've done all of the above minus the EQ and gone through just about every settings combination imaginable and have yet to cure the abrasively harsh sound I get out of the dirty channel. I think for my needs(rock to light metal), its just not well suited. I'll see at some point if an EQ will cure it, but that will be the last money I throw at before I give up on it. That being said, I can see why people do like the amp. Its cheap, well suited for heavy music, plenty of power, takes pedals well. But from my own experience, I can also see why people don't like it.
Jason43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #75
bartdevil_metal
Uses Jackson and Line6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason43
Well, I bought a 212 at the beginning of the year and can honestly say that the more time I spend with it, the less impressed I am with it. I think for the money, it's an ok valve amp, but it starts to lose some of its bang for the buck status when you have to throw $150 bucks worth of speakers at it, $75 bucks worth of tubes in it, an OD, an EQ etc before it will start to sound decent.

'Fraid you bought the least efficient upgradable option. The 112 is a bit better value.

Quote:
I've done all of the above minus the EQ and gone through just about every settings combination imaginable and have yet to cure the abrasively harsh sound I get out of the dirty channel. I think for my needs(rock to light metal), its just not well suited. I'll see at some point if an EQ will cure it, but that will be the last money I throw at before I give up on it. That being said, I can see why people do like the amp. Its cheap, well suited for heavy music, plenty of power, takes pedals well. But from my own experience, I can also see why people don't like it.

Well the EQ is the thing that will get rid of the last bit of harshness. TBH, Although you have to mod the VK it's still a sustainable investment, if you ever wanted to sell it on most of the mods are reversible. And gear like the boost and EQ will most likely be used in whatever setup you have.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #76
Necrophagist777
Fusion = The New Shred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Hey Necro - I was looking at the old thread and it looked like you had some questions or clips or something. Do you want to start over here?

I think those were some questions before i bought it. I don't really have any questions now, i'm really happy with the sound i'm getting out of it.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Old 10-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #77
IbanezPsycho

Quote:
Well, I bought a 212 at the beginning of the year and can honestly say that the more time I spend with it, the less impressed I am with it. I think for the money, it's an ok valve amp, but it starts to lose some of its bang for the buck status when you have to throw $150 bucks worth of speakers at it, $75 bucks worth of tubes in it, an OD, an EQ etc before it will start to sound decent. I've done all of the above minus the EQ and gone through just about every settings combination imaginable and have yet to cure the abrasively harsh sound I get out of the dirty channel. I think for my needs(rock to light metal), its just not well suited. I'll see at some point if an EQ will cure it, but that will be the last money I throw at before I give up on it. That being said, I can see why people do like the amp. Its cheap, well suited for heavy music, plenty of power, takes pedals well. But from my own experience, I can also see why people don't like it.

Best eq cure is stated on the front page....

Short version, gain boost off, bad monkey, eq pedal and know the quirks of the on board eq..
Old 10-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #78
Necrophagist777
Fusion = The New Shred

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezPsycho
Best eq cure is stated on the front page....

Short version, gain boost off, bad monkey, eq pedal and know the quirks of the on board eq..

For sure. i took the gain boost off and that made a huge difference.

Gonna get my eq soon and i think that i will really help me to be able to dial in my tone then.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Old 10-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #79
dopethrone420
In Love With Green...

Well, i get a bad ****ing ass tone out of my 212 valve king stock and all, with the gain boost and volume on, my band dose like 70's stoner/doom/fuzz kinda deal, Sabbath kinda sound, this thing pulls it off just fine for me. Although i do want to put celestions in it, I also have it running threw a 4x12 at the same time, with all 6 12s that thing is a monster man.

All about how you work with the amp, and your guitar, and your pick ups, cables, so on and so forth, Who knows though Mabey its the weed smoke that makes it sound better to me, hahaha
Cabinets - B52 Slant 400W 4X12"

Last edited by dopethrone420 : 10-03-2008 at 08:45 PM.
dopethrone420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #80
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Ha +1

so did you get your cab situation all figured out with the ohms?

i did check some of your clips. Can you upload some of that to your profile? Just the audio.

Rate This Thread: