Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 10-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #81
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
 
Emenius Sleepus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Черный пес Петербург
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepulix
I never bothered to learn any old Opeth 'cause there's so many harmonies, was that decision a mistake?


yep
__________________

По ту сторону Севера, по ту сторону льда, по ту сторону сегодня - наша жизнь, наше счастье.


Extinguished Temples
lastFM
Emenius Sleepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #82
Xplozive
Registered User
 
Xplozive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emenius Sleepus
yep

I agree. Listen to old Opeth plz. I like newerr opeth more but seriously.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan Andrés
Sorry awful Anglish.
Xplozive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #83
greety
Registered User
 
greety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
You guys like Opeth, right? I heard you might.

More like Nopeth, amiright? Ahahahahaah.

Go ahead, sound the alarm, yell fire.
__________________
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
greety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #84
Xplozive
Registered User
 
Xplozive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by greety
You guys like Opeth, right? I heard you might.

More like Nopeth, amiright? Ahahahahaah.

Go ahead, sound the alarm, yell fire.

Yespeth. Of course we do.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan Andrés
Sorry awful Anglish.
Xplozive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #85
greety
Registered User
 
greety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Old opeth is so much better, right? Sooooo much.
__________________
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
greety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #86
Kepulix
The Witchfinder
 
Kepulix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Far far away, beyond might of day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emenius Sleepus
yep

Any song recs that sound good with just one guitar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplozive
I agree. Listen to old Opeth plz. I like newerr opeth more but seriously.

I do listen to old Opeth, I just have never learnt any old Opeth with guitar
__________________
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Kepulix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #87
Internal Chaos
D.I.Y or D.I.E
 
Internal Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: STRAYA
omg greety spammd banhim lulz.

Eh, this is gonna be just as bad as before when Frenchy leaves.


Playing Dirge For November rite nao.
__________________
Last.fm
Internal Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #88
darkstar2466
Fly, you fools
 
darkstar2466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: (-∞, ∞)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greety
Old opeth is so much better, right? Sooooo much.


DUH!



Orchid & Morningrise >>>> all other albums, except the BWP song which is >>>> all other music ever made and stuff.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
darkstar2466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #89
greety
Registered User
 
greety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar2466
DUH!



Orchid & Morningrise >>>> all other albums, except the BWP song which is >>>> all other music ever made and stuff.


Now there are people in this thread who know me. I can't pull off being ignorant anymore.



Honestly, what did you guys think of Watershed? I know it's a few months old topic now. To be honest, first run through I really enjoyed it but it didn't hold up on repeated listenings. In fact thats almost every Opeth album for now except MAYH and Blackwater occasionally. I still love them, but I can't find their music as inventitive or amazing as I used to after venturing into the prog world more.
__________________
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
greety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #90
Broadsword
The Wild Rover
 
Broadsword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In the grip of winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar2466
DUH!



Orchid & Morningrise >>>> all other albums, except the BWP song which is >>>> all other music ever made and stuff.


Defenders of the Orchid Faith! Rally hither!

Woe unto he who ranks Orchid less than Three.

EDIT: My sentiments exactly ^. Watershed lost substance for me, as has Blackwater Park (sorry Darkstar). I never liked Ghost Reveries to begin with.
Broadsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #91
darkstar2466
Fly, you fools
 
darkstar2466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: (-∞, ∞)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greety
Honestly, what did you guys think of Watershed? I know it's a few months old topic now. To be honest, first run through I really enjoyed it but it didn't hold up on repeated listenings. In fact thats almost every Opeth album for now except MAYH and Blackwater occasionally. I still love them, but I can't find their music as inventitive or amazing as I used to after venturing into the prog world more.


I like Watershed because it's an Opeth album - Opeth albums cannot possibly be bad listening experiences. I don't like Watershed because it lacks something. That something, I've never been able to explain, but I know it does. But as I've also said, it's better than 99.9998985601% better than all other music made in 2007/2008.

Hex Omega is just plain awesome.

EDIT: LOLOLOL. The one visible tear on that kid's cheek. Priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword
Defenders of the Orchid Faith! Rally hither!

Woe unto he who ranks Orchid less than Three.

EDIT: My sentiments exactly ^. Watershed lost substance for me, as has Blackwater Park (sorry Darkstar). I never liked Ghost Reveries to begin with.




BWP still retains awesomeness in mah book. GR = meh. And BWP song still > life also.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie

Last edited by darkstar2466 : 10-02-2008 at 11:06 AM.
darkstar2466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #92
Xplozive
Registered User
 
Xplozive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar2466
I like Watershed because it's an Opeth album - Opeth albums cannot possibly be bad listening experiences. I don't like Watershed because it lacks something. That something, I've never been able to explain, but I know it does. But as I've also said, it's better than 99.9998985601% better than all other music made in 2007/2008.

Hex Omega is just plain awesome.





BWP still retains awesomeness in mah book. GR = meh. And BWP song still > life also.

I'm listening to music and my shuffle just skipped to A Change of Seasons. Wow. I honestly think thi song owns any opeth song.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan Andrés
Sorry awful Anglish.
Xplozive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #93
Internal Chaos
D.I.Y or D.I.E
 
Internal Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: STRAYA
Orchid is fairly far down to me. Blackwater Park and Still Life will always be the best and Ghost Reveries will always be the worst though.
__________________
Last.fm
Internal Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #94
korinaflyingv
Bow you ****s
 
korinaflyingv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: st albans, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword
Korina: I can understand Orchid being low, but Damnation... last?

Well all the albums are amazing... just damnation is the least amazing. I listen to opeth mainly for the contrast, which damnation just doesn't have.
korinaflyingv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #95
UncleCthulhu
Banned
 
UncleCthulhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Further away than you think
*Will defend Watershed until the end*

Watershed is a brilliant album, it's just a step in a different direction. Looking at it alongside Opeth's earlier albums is unfair in my opinion.
UncleCthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #96
darkstar2466
Fly, you fools
 
darkstar2466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: (-∞, ∞)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplozive
I'm listening to music and my shuffle just skipped to A Change of Seasons. Wow. I honestly think thi song owns any opeth song.


That song is 26 minutes long and all... but it's not that good. Now Octavarium is a good contender.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
darkstar2466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #97
Internal Chaos
D.I.Y or D.I.E
 
Internal Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: STRAYA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplozive
I'm listening to music and my shuffle just skipped to A Change of Seasons. Wow. I honestly think thi song owns any opeth song.

I fucking hate Dream Theater so much. Like, that post almost made me angry, I am so disappointed.

The two don't even come close...
__________________
Last.fm
Internal Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #98
Broadsword
The Wild Rover
 
Broadsword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In the grip of winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by korinaflyingv
Well all the albums are amazing... just damnation is the least amazing. I listen to opeth mainly for the contrast, which damnation just doesn't have.


Fair enough. But just for Hope Leaves + Windowpane I'd rank it over a third of their discography.
Broadsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #99
korinaflyingv
Bow you ****s
 
korinaflyingv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: st albans, UK
I like A Change of Seasons and Images and Words, but otherwise, Dream Theater's decidely meh for me.

Also, can't believe I forgot Watershed on my new ranking! It slots in between Morningrise and Orchid for me....

EDIT: I love all the songs on damnation, but it doesn't really match up to their other stuff as an album IMO. But yeah, Windowpane = one of the best starts to an album ever.
korinaflyingv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #100
Xplozive
Registered User
 
Xplozive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar2466
That song is 26 minutes long and all... but it's not that good. Now Octavarium is a good contender.

23:09 minutes*. It owns Octavarium the song btw. Octavarium is a good song but can't contend with ACoS.

Also Internal Chaoos - You don't have to remind me you hate Dream Thearer and love ther Chugsz.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan Andrés
Sorry awful Anglish.
Xplozive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:35 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.