Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #11561
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->

Damn. The last 11 years must have sucked for you.

I just bought Maiden's Brave New World a few weeks back, so don't take what I wrote too seriously
guitgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #11562
sea`

I used to like Opeth back when I was younger and getting into extreme metal for the first time. I still appreciate their musicianship and I think they have some great ideas, but everything after about Still Life lacks energy and consistency in songwriting quality. Heritage in particular was just a boring mess of an album for me, and the last few have only had a few good songs between them. Even so, once you realize most of the ideas were lifted from other bands like Edge of Sanity, those earlier albums also lose their appeal.

Nowadays I just sort of view them as a gateway band at best, hipster metal at worst.

Last edited by sea` : 10-02-2012 at 01:11 AM.
sea` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #11563
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->

On the other side of that coin, one could say how your post is a boring mess of opinions that seems like it has some good ideas in it until you realize that all the ideas were lifted & regurgitated from people on other forums. Nowadays I view opinions like this as trolling at best, or generic, sheep-like mentality at worst.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #11564
darkstar2466
Fly, you fools

I think some will agree that those who used to love Opeth and don't quite love them so much anymore... simply just listened to too much Opeth and got terribly sick of it. Orchid - BWP was a stellar period of output, however cut&paste the recipes turned out to be sometimes. I do think they peaked at BWP though - just bumped it yesterday after a while and I enjoyed it as much as I did a few years ago. Takeaway sentiment is that I haven't noticed the same lasting value in Opeth's music as I did with other bands through the years.

p.s. TGC sucks monkeyballs. Worst. Song. Ever.

Art & Lutherie
darkstar2466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #11565
Geldin

It's a pretty shitty song. I love Ghost Reveries and BWP. Those two are just intense.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #11566
ctfod
Your move, creep

Nah man. My Arms, up to and partially including Watershed. My Arms/Still Life/Blackwater Park in particular.

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
ctfod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #11567
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar2466
I think some will agree that those who used to love Opeth and don't quite love them so much anymore... simply just listened to too much Opeth and got terribly sick of it. Orchid - BWP was a stellar period of output, however cut&paste the recipes turned out to be sometimes. I do think they peaked at BWP though - just bumped it yesterday after a while and I enjoyed it as much as I did a few years ago. Takeaway sentiment is that I haven't noticed the same lasting value in Opeth's music as I did with other bands through the years.

Miss your posts in these parts Darkstar, your comments are always a pleasure to read, even if I disagree.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #11568
Scourge441
Eyes With Pride

Quote:

Porcelain Heart is worse IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodster
Mega Death?

Are they like Megadeth?
Scourge441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #11569
BenRaah
zebra

The first three off Ghost Reveries are alongside their best for me. Shame the album goes downhill a bit after that.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #11570
ctfod
Your move, creep

Isolation Years, man. Still think it's one of the best ones they've ever done, that's what Heritage should have been like.

at his command
Old 10-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #11571
Jon777
Assbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRaah
The first three off Ghost Reveries are alongside their best for me. Shame the album goes downhill a bit after that.

I quite like Reverie/Harlequin Forest.

Also, Isolation years is the perfect ending to the album. Definitely one of Opeth's best songs.

~
Jon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #11572
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon777
I quite like Reverie/Harlequin Forest.

Also, Isolation years is the perfect ending to the album. Definitely one of Opeth's best songs.

One of their best songs from any album.. maybe even their masterpiece song. It embodies everything an Opeth song should be.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #11573
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfod
Isolation Years, man. Still think it's one of the best ones they've ever done, that's what Heritage should have been like.

This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitgrinder
One of their best songs from any album.. maybe even their masterpiece song. It embodies everything an Opeth song should be.

This as well.

Mainly cause Mike stripped it down and didnt just ruin the songwriting by meandering about. Ending Credits is similarly good for basically the same reasons.

And Atonement, TGC, and a big chunk of Harlequin Forest [especially the end] are all awful.

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"

Last edited by Burning_Angel : 10-04-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Burning_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #11574
Mr. Parker

As much as I like Opeth I skip more then a few songs...

Watershed wasn't my cup of tea though I really likes Porcelain Heart and I preordered that one. I picked up Heritage and it's ok. I understand his reasons for the album but it doesn't do much for me.

The Funeral Portrait, Forest of October, Black Rose Immortal and Ghost of Perdition don't get skipped, just to name a few.

I remember something Mikael (I always forget how to spell his name?) said once. I think it was either an interview of on the DVD of Watershed. He said something like, "some people make bad albums, but that's something I never have to worry about.".

I guess if you are your only judge then that's true.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #11575
Jon777
Assbender

While I'm not the biggest fan of Watershed, I reeeeally like Hessian Peel. Admittedly it's not coherent in the slightest, but I feel the sections are good enough for me to forgive Mike for a really oddly structured song.

~
Jon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #11576
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon777
While I'm not the biggest fan of Watershed, I reeeeally like Hessian Peel. Admittedly it's not coherent in the slightest, but I feel the sections are good enough for me to forgive Mike for a really oddly structured song.

No, they arent.

I WOULD love that song. If it weren't for the fact that it's TWO SONGS SPLICED TOGETHER, that are completely and utterly unrelated.

So yeah, I maintain despite some cogent sections that are brilliant, Watershed sucks massively.

And Heritage is goddamn terrible.

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Burning_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:23 AM   #11577
darkstar2466
Fly, you fools

^ Heritage is indeed terrible. Couldn't even stand one listen through it. It's as if... Mikael is trying to be bad.

I bumped BRI today - still hold it to be one of the finest cut&paste pieces of all time. It shouldn't make sense a song, because it's not really a song but rather a collection of tunes in the same key, but it's still one of the best damn songs. That last scream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitgrinder
Miss your posts in these parts Darkstar, your comments are always a pleasure to read, even if I disagree.

Hey bud, good to see you around again. I haven't really been coming to UG much, and the Pit just sucks ass these days. I'm getting back into listening to more music and I'll come back to the metal forum again - it's always been some of the best community here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourge441
Porcelain Heart is worse IMO.

You mean TGC part 2?

I'd say they tie for shittiest Opeth songs.

Art & Lutherie
darkstar2466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #11578
Mr. Parker

Why the hate for Porcelain Heart?

It's about the only thing I can listen to off of Watershed. I always love the acoustic playing he does.

As for Heritage, I still haven't been able to make it through the album. I had not been following music all that closely for the last few years and picked it up without much prior knowledge...
Old 10-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #11579
ctfod
Your move, creep

Porcelain Heart comes off like Grand Conjuration 2: Electric Boogaloo to me. However, I still have a soft spot for Watershed, despite its shortcomings.

at his command
Old 10-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #11580
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka

I've been complaining about PH since day one, that song is so fucking bad man. Watershed boils down to one or two good songs and a bunch of mediocre shit stapled together. Still haven't listened to Heritage. Just can't be bothered right now with all this good music to catch up on.

Quote:
I bumped BRI today - still hold it to be one of the finest cut&paste pieces of all time. It shouldn't make sense a song, because it's not really a song but rather a collection of tunes in the same key, but it's still one of the best damn songs. That last scream...

I should hate BRI. Every inch of me should be screaming out against the 'transitions' in that song, but it is just too damn enjoyable. I could sit and complain about it all day, but listening to it I can't. It's so incredibly stupid, but I love it.
Originally Posted by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Slaytanic1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: