Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 09-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #11561
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->
 
guitgrinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Damn. The last 11 years must have sucked for you.


I just bought Maiden's Brave New World a few weeks back, so don't take what I wrote too seriously
guitgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #11562
sea`
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I used to like Opeth back when I was younger and getting into extreme metal for the first time. I still appreciate their musicianship and I think they have some great ideas, but everything after about Still Life lacks energy and consistency in songwriting quality. Heritage in particular was just a boring mess of an album for me, and the last few have only had a few good songs between them. Even so, once you realize most of the ideas were lifted from other bands like Edge of Sanity, those earlier albums also lose their appeal.

Nowadays I just sort of view them as a gateway band at best, hipster metal at worst.

Last edited by sea` : 10-02-2012 at 01:11 AM.
sea` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #11563
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->
 
guitgrinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
On the other side of that coin, one could say how your post is a boring mess of opinions that seems like it has some good ideas in it until you realize that all the ideas were lifted & regurgitated from people on other forums. Nowadays I view opinions like this as trolling at best, or generic, sheep-like mentality at worst.
guitgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #11564
darkstar2466
Fly, you fools
 
darkstar2466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: (-∞, ∞)
I think some will agree that those who used to love Opeth and don't quite love them so much anymore... simply just listened to too much Opeth and got terribly sick of it. Orchid - BWP was a stellar period of output, however cut&paste the recipes turned out to be sometimes. I do think they peaked at BWP though - just bumped it yesterday after a while and I enjoyed it as much as I did a few years ago. Takeaway sentiment is that I haven't noticed the same lasting value in Opeth's music as I did with other bands through the years.

p.s. TGC sucks monkeyballs. Worst. Song. Ever.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
darkstar2466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #11565
Geldin
Registered User
 
Geldin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
It's a pretty shitty song. I love Ghost Reveries and BWP. Those two are just intense.
__________________
I have an album. Listen to it.
The Sleeping Fury

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #11566
ctfod
Your move, creep
 
ctfod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Nah man. My Arms, up to and partially including Watershed. My Arms/Still Life/Blackwater Park in particular.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever


he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
ctfod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #11567
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->
 
guitgrinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar2466
I think some will agree that those who used to love Opeth and don't quite love them so much anymore... simply just listened to too much Opeth and got terribly sick of it. Orchid - BWP was a stellar period of output, however cut&paste the recipes turned out to be sometimes. I do think they peaked at BWP though - just bumped it yesterday after a while and I enjoyed it as much as I did a few years ago. Takeaway sentiment is that I haven't noticed the same lasting value in Opeth's music as I did with other bands through the years.

p.s. TGC sucks monkeyballs. Worst. Song. Ever.



Miss your posts in these parts Darkstar, your comments are always a pleasure to read, even if I disagree.
guitgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #11568
Scourge441
Eyes With Pride
 
Scourge441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar2466
p.s. TGC sucks monkeyballs. Worst. Song. Ever.

Porcelain Heart is worse IMO.
__________________
THUNDERFORGE: Power metal from western Massachusetts | Bandcamp | Twitter
ECHOES AND DUST: Where I cover a variety of music, both heavy and not | My writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodster
Mega Death?

Are they like Megadeth?
Scourge441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #11569
BenRaah
zebra
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: uk
The first three off Ghost Reveries are alongside their best for me. Shame the album goes downhill a bit after that.
__________________
last.fm
BenRaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #11570
ctfod
Your move, creep
 
ctfod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Isolation Years, man. Still think it's one of the best ones they've ever done, that's what Heritage should have been like.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever


he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
ctfod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #11571
Jon777
Assbender
 
Jon777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego, CA brah
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRaah
The first three off Ghost Reveries are alongside their best for me. Shame the album goes downhill a bit after that.

I quite like Reverie/Harlequin Forest.

Also, Isolation years is the perfect ending to the album. Definitely one of Opeth's best songs.
__________________
show


~
Jon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #11572
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->
 
guitgrinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon777
I quite like Reverie/Harlequin Forest.

Also, Isolation years is the perfect ending to the album. Definitely one of Opeth's best songs.


One of their best songs from any album.. maybe even their masterpiece song. It embodies everything an Opeth song should be.
guitgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #11573
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis
 
Burning_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Colorado.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfod
Isolation Years, man. Still think it's one of the best ones they've ever done, that's what Heritage should have been like.

This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitgrinder
One of their best songs from any album.. maybe even their masterpiece song. It embodies everything an Opeth song should be.

This as well.

Mainly cause Mike stripped it down and didnt just ruin the songwriting by meandering about. Ending Credits is similarly good for basically the same reasons.

And Atonement, TGC, and a big chunk of Harlequin Forest [especially the end] are all awful.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"

Last edited by Burning_Angel : 10-04-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Burning_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #11574
Mr. Parker
Registered User
 
Mr. Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
As much as I like Opeth I skip more then a few songs...

Watershed wasn't my cup of tea though I really likes Porcelain Heart and I preordered that one. I picked up Heritage and it's ok. I understand his reasons for the album but it doesn't do much for me.

The Funeral Portrait, Forest of October, Black Rose Immortal and Ghost of Perdition don't get skipped, just to name a few.

I remember something Mikael (I always forget how to spell his name?) said once. I think it was either an interview of on the DVD of Watershed. He said something like, "some people make bad albums, but that's something I never have to worry about.".

I guess if you are your only judge then that's true.
__________________
In the Valley of Vung
Mr. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #11575
Jon777
Assbender
 
Jon777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego, CA brah
While I'm not the biggest fan of Watershed, I reeeeally like Hessian Peel. Admittedly it's not coherent in the slightest, but I feel the sections are good enough for me to forgive Mike for a really oddly structured song.
__________________
show


~
Jon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #11576
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis
 
Burning_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Colorado.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon777
While I'm not the biggest fan of Watershed, I reeeeally like Hessian Peel. Admittedly it's not coherent in the slightest, but I feel the sections are good enough for me to forgive Mike for a really oddly structured song.

No, they arent.

I WOULD love that song. If it weren't for the fact that it's TWO SONGS SPLICED TOGETHER, that are completely and utterly unrelated.

So yeah, I maintain despite some cogent sections that are brilliant, Watershed sucks massively.

And Heritage is goddamn terrible.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Burning_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:23 AM   #11577
darkstar2466
Fly, you fools
 
darkstar2466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: (-∞, ∞)
^ Heritage is indeed terrible. Couldn't even stand one listen through it. It's as if... Mikael is trying to be bad.

I bumped BRI today - still hold it to be one of the finest cut&paste pieces of all time. It shouldn't make sense a song, because it's not really a song but rather a collection of tunes in the same key, but it's still one of the best damn songs. That last scream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitgrinder
Miss your posts in these parts Darkstar, your comments are always a pleasure to read, even if I disagree.



Hey bud, good to see you around again. I haven't really been coming to UG much, and the Pit just sucks ass these days. I'm getting back into listening to more music and I'll come back to the metal forum again - it's always been some of the best community here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourge441
Porcelain Heart is worse IMO.

You mean TGC part 2?

I'd say they tie for shittiest Opeth songs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
darkstar2466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #11578
Mr. Parker
Registered User
 
Mr. Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Why the hate for Porcelain Heart?

It's about the only thing I can listen to off of Watershed. I always love the acoustic playing he does.


As for Heritage, I still haven't been able to make it through the album. I had not been following music all that closely for the last few years and picked it up without much prior knowledge...
__________________
In the Valley of Vung
Mr. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #11579
ctfod
Your move, creep
 
ctfod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Porcelain Heart comes off like Grand Conjuration 2: Electric Boogaloo to me. However, I still have a soft spot for Watershed, despite its shortcomings.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever


he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
ctfod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #11580
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka
 
Slaytanic1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I've been complaining about PH since day one, that song is so fucking bad man. Watershed boils down to one or two good songs and a bunch of mediocre shit stapled together. Still haven't listened to Heritage. Just can't be bothered right now with all this good music to catch up on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar2466
I bumped BRI today - still hold it to be one of the finest cut&paste pieces of all time. It shouldn't make sense a song, because it's not really a song but rather a collection of tunes in the same key, but it's still one of the best damn songs. That last scream...


I should hate BRI. Every inch of me should be screaming out against the 'transitions' in that song, but it is just too damn enjoyable. I could sit and complain about it all day, but listening to it I can't. It's so incredibly stupid, but I love it.
__________________
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Slaytanic1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.