User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #11601
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytanic1993
The only qualm I have with that song is the intro. It's just far too long with no variation, for me.

Otherwise, that song, along with SPD and White Cluster, is killer and has good (well, SPD for the first half) composition behind it.

EDIt: fuck it man, that 'darkness reared its head' bit before the solo in Serenity is probably the best climax in an Opeth song. Perfect build up to those tritones. Then it starts to fall apart a bit

Y'know, with all your "qualms" in Opeth's music, one could easily think that you're not a fan of their music at all. You never point out good transitions, or what makes you like their music, or what made you a fan of them in the 1st place. Even in this post, you counter a positive thing you said about the song with a negative comment.

The reason I bring this all up is, why bother? If you don't like their transitions/songwriting in general, why spend the time tearing it apart? I know the thread doesn't have to be a complete fellatio-fest, it's just that you seem more interested in tearing down the music more than anything else. I mean, whatever suits ya, just seems like a waste.

I don't ever really say this, but since you seem to know all the improvements Opeth can make with their music...

let's hear what you got!
guitgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #11602
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitgrinder
Y'know, with all your "qualms" in Opeth's music, one could easily think that you're not a fan of their music at all. You never point out good transitions, or what makes you like their music, or what made you a fan of them in the 1st place. Even in this post, you counter a positive thing you said about the song with a negative comment.

The reason I bring this all up is, why bother? If you don't like their transitions/songwriting in general, why spend the time tearing it apart? I know the thread doesn't have to be a complete fellatio-fest, it's just that you seem more interested in tearing down the music more than anything else. I mean, whatever suits ya, just seems like a waste.

I don't ever really say this, but since you seem to know all the improvements Opeth can make with their music...

let's hear what you got!

I'm entirely too invested in Opeth to just sit back and listen to the music idly, so I naturally comment. The fellatio has gone on for quite a few years - even from me - so seeing some level of criticism is super fresh. If I were Mike, I would want 100% of any and all criticisms (constructive) that I could get because the fanboys would be overwhelming and entirely un-helpful as a songwriter.

I got into them because I had very little interest in metal anymore and I heard Damnation, thinking it was some smooth prock band, so I checked out the rest of their catalog (plus, Steven Wilson was credited on that record so I naturally had to magnetize to it). I'm saying that their modern stuff has far too many misses to make up for the hits, which the older stuff had in spades. The problems I have are because the transitional issues are (like ctfod said) huge shifts in atmosphere, where Orchid->DD's never really had the same level of issues.

I'm not claiming to know how to fix the problem, only that there is a problem. That's the first step to critical analysis, but certainly not the last. I'll never profess to knowing how a band should write their music, only how I react to it. Besides, that is a very flawed argument; I could tell you how bad it looks when a building falls apart at its foundation, but I'm not an architect so asking me to build the building is just a kneejerk 'nuh-uh!'.
Originally Posted by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory

Last edited by Slaytanic1993 : 10-06-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Slaytanic1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #11603
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfod
Why shouldn't you like them? I mean, I don't and never really have, save for some of Advent.

The songwriting is glaringly cut and paste and quite simply terrible.

But the riffs and the dual guitars and stuff are so good at times that sometimes it's worth hearing once in a while.

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"

Last edited by Burning_Angel : 10-06-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Burning_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #11604
Wiegenlied
Registered Usurper

Jumpin' into the conversation here.. been an Opeth fan since Deliverance/Damnation, they were the first extreme metal band I heard and I picked up Blackwater Park when I was 13 because I thought the cover looked badass. Pretty much scared the shit out of me lol as my favourite band at the time was Nirvana.

Seems like everyone also hates on new Opeth releases, I've been around for the big ones and I was a regular member of Opeth's official forum before it was closed down for being troll central. Ghost Reveries in particular got a lot of hate and now its known as one of their best by many.

I have been losing touch with the band since then however, Heritage gave me the opportunity to get excited about them but I'm not crazy about it. Probably better then most Watershed.. which I can see exactly where you guys come from, loved sections of songs and hated others. Hessian peel was like that. I've really grown tired of the whole slamming of diminshed chords thing, it has the ability to ruin songs.

I liked Devil's Orchard and Slither, I even wondered what Opeth would be like if they abandoned their stubborn ways and structured a majority of their songs that way. I have a feeling they might be more enjoyable.

I concur with the hate for Porcelain Heart although I think the acoustic riff is great, just not any of the rest of the song. The transition after the solo is the worst from Opeth I've heard. It resolves perfectly in the key of A minor, then heeere we go back into the riff in D for no particular reason. Just end the song! But they've had bad transitions even in songs I love, eg. staccato palm muted power chords with death vocals, right after the long acoustic interlude in Master Apprentice.. so I guess its just an unfortunate aspect that comes along with the greatness of Opeth

Anyyyyway I came to this thread caus I'm apart of Opeth tribute show coming up early next year. Our singer normally doesn't scream in our songs, but he's willing to do it for this show so we're going to limit usage, but not disclude it. So far we plan on doing:

The Drapery Falls
Ghost of Perdition
Windowpane
Face of Melinda

and maybe one more song. perhaps porcelain heart?

JK :p

any ideas?
Wiegenlied is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #11605
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->

^A Fair Judgement.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #11606
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitgrinder
^A Fair Judgement.

If you play this please, for the love of christ just cut out the whole terrible outro.

It's a decent enough doomy riff but it comes out of fucking nowhere and makes no goddamn sense in the context of the song.

"I AM metal"
Old 10-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #11607
Jon777
Assbender

Bleak, perhaps?

~
Jon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #11608
Mr. Parker

The Funeral Portrait
Old 10-22-2012, 04:16 AM   #11609
francesco18
galloping E|-0-0-0-0

Isolation Years

Michael Gira in a nutshell
francesco18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #11610
BenRaah
zebra

Burden
Old 10-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #11611
resum

black rose immortal!
resum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #11612
korinaflyingv
Bow you ****s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning_Angel
If you play this please, for the love of christ just cut out the whole terrible outro.

It's a decent enough doomy riff but it comes out of fucking nowhere and makes no goddamn sense in the context of the song.

don't see what the problem is, it's a crap song anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon777
Bleak, perhaps?

this
korinaflyingv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #11613
progbass
UG Resident

Bleak is actually one of their most coherent songs, at least, recalling from memory.

I still have a soft spot for the harmonies Orchidingrise, but man, its been a few years since I have spun those.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #11614
korinaflyingv
Bow you ****s

Quote:
Originally Posted by progbass
Bleak is actually one of their most coherent songs, at least, recalling from memory.

init, there are repeated sections and everything
Old 10-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #11615
progbass
UG Resident

it still suffers from being largely saccharine though.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #11616
TDS
LET'S GO PENS

The Leper Affinity and Bleak are pretty archetypal Opeth songs IMO
Old 10-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #11617
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->

to maybe breathe a little life into this thread I thought it'd be cool to hear everyone's opinion on what their favorite song from least favorite Opeth album is, and least favorite song from favorite Opeth album.

can be b-sides, covers, etc- just indicate which era/album it's from

my votes
least favorite song from favorite album- Harvest, on Blackwater Park
favorite song from least favorite- Den Standiga Resan - Watershed
Old 10-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #11618
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis

Favorite song from my least favorite? Uhm. I like Burden, even though it's completely unoriginal and a cheesefest. And I'd love Hessian Peel, if it was two songs. And I remember liking something about Haxprocess I think? Maybe also Folklore and Famine at times? Heritage and Marrow of the Earth are also good songs, mostly. For Absent Friends is also very good [yes, I dont like Deliverance at all].

My least favorite song from my favorite is a tougher pick, because I dont like Opeth like a used to, so I dont really have a favorite album. But I guess... I never liked Credence.

"I AM metal"
Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #11619
korinaflyingv
Bow you ****s

Moonlapse Vertigo always underwhelmed me. And the Lotus Eater is quite enjoyable, unlike the rest of Watershed.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #11620
ctfod
Your move, creep

Moonlapse Vertigo is one of the biggest draws of Still Life for me. And it's fun to play, too. That harmonised lead after the intro always sends a quiver through my chap

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand

Last edited by ctfod : 10-31-2012 at 10:04 AM.
ctfod is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: