Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-16-2012, 02:20 AM   #11641
sunken0887

Quote:
I don't really count Morningrise as one, because it really isn't as well done as any of the later stuff that actually put them on the map.

*sigh*....morningrise will as be one of the most misunderstood opeth releases's if not metal album in general

Quote:
Moonsorrow would like words with you. Every album since Voimasta Ja Kunniasta has been a masterpiece in its own right, and far superior songwriting, replay value/depth, and just material in general than anything Opeth has ever done.

can't say i've listened to them before although i've heard of moonsorrow...i'll have to check them out, any suggestions on where to start?
sunken0887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #11642
korinaflyingv
Bow you ****s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning_Angel
For that reason, Opeth's best record, and only album that got close to a "masterpiece" for my money is, and will always be, MAYH. It was the first and best incarnation of the style that would continue to appear [albeit with some random other new tones/"influences" added to the same general songwriting and riff construction] until Watershed.

Agreed. I do love Deliverance (minus A Fair Judgement) and GR though.
korinaflyingv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #11643
Cheeselord
Bad Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunken0887
can't say i've listened to them before although i've heard of moonsorrow...i'll have to check them out, any suggestions on where to start?

Verisäkeet

EDIT: Specifically the song Jotunheim

Last edited by Cheeselord : 12-16-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Cheeselord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #11644
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunken0887

Honestly since you're an Opeth fan... V: Havitetty may be your best bet. Or possibly Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa.

Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa is probably their best, darkest, heaviest album. V: Havitetty is also quite heavy, but is an amazing journey. Verisakeet is their closest full length to being black metal, but still has touches of their old folk influence (and Pimea and the aforementioned Jotunheim are incredible songs [although Karhunkynsi and Haaska arent far behind]).

But really, there's two halves to their discography. Suden Uni, Voimasta Ja Kunniasta and Kivenkantaja are all much more folk based, what with lots of keyboards and folk instrumentation. These are somewhat fun, still with the epic, Moonsorrow sensibility, but also not as long or as mature of songs.

Verisakeet, the Tulimyrsky EP, V: Havitetty, and Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa are progressively darker and each builds on certain themes. And are close to black metal, while also bringing in progressive touches to songwriting. The folk instrumentation and influences are still there, but they take a back seat [or are at least toned down], especially on VKKM.

Jotunheim is a great tune to start with though, I agree. As is this one:

[also, special mention to Marko "Baron" Tarvonen. Dude is such an underrated drummer. Does all of Moonsorrow's epic tunes with no triggers at all. And he's just got an excellent feel, without over-doing it on Double Bass or blastbeats or whatever else]

But, I'm way off topic now. Message me if you want more on Moonsorrow. Or similar music.

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"

Last edited by Burning_Angel : 12-16-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Burning_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #11645
Geldin

Gonna have to check these guys out now that you're giving these guys a hella good rap. Should be fun.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #11646
griffin888

Won't be sorry. Mikael is a musical genius.
cause you feel an urge to get some wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
it could turn the wangcaster into a bass.
griffin888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #11647
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->

Listening to Jotunheim posted above... musically, it's awesome, but the vocals are nothing special. Sounds like your generic phlegm-filled throat vocal that so prevalent in this type of music. Which I believe is why Opeth are widely successful. Mikael's vocals are clean (even when he's growling) His enunciation is decipherable... and most of all, his voice is undeniably unique. As son as you hear him sing you can instantly recognize it's his voice. So sure, there may be some other acts out there that do similar music to Opeth but I've yet to hear anyone sound like Mikael. That signature sound is probably why Opeth stands out amongst their peers.
guitgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #11648
Cheeselord
Bad Taste

Mikael's growls are pretty mediocre by the way
Cheeselord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #11649
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitgrinder
Listening to Jotunheim posted above... musically, it's awesome, but the vocals are nothing special. Sounds like your generic phlegm-filled throat vocal that so prevalent in this type of music. Which I believe is why Opeth are widely successful. Mikael's vocals are clean (even when he's growling) His enunciation is decipherable... and most of all, his voice is undeniably unique. As son as you hear him sing you can instantly recognize it's his voice. So sure, there may be some other acts out there that do similar music to Opeth but I've yet to hear anyone sound like Mikael. That signature sound is probably why Opeth stands out amongst their peers.

Some of the time, sure, Ville uses the "standard" black metal higher scream... But did you completely miss the first and last verses with their desperate, harrowing dry shrieks? Or the many glorious choirs that make the song sound so powerful? Moonsorrow always has extremely varied/dynamic vocals... [granted, though, the clean singing isn't as "technically" good as Mike's, and Ville doesnt always try to flaunt his harsh vocal range by having verses of growls and some screams and shrieks, but it's about fitting the song, fitting the mood/end goal of the song, and that, Moonsorrow succeed at masterfully] And I'd add that if you speak Finnish, or even if you don't, Ville's pronunciation is pretty clear--but that's a dumb criticism of harsh vocals anyway; they aren't supposed to be "clear", nor must they be intelligible. They're more about, again, fitting the music and adding an emotion/certain mood/tone to the song.

Also, I should add I never said Moonsorrow was "similar to Opeth" just to clarify. Because they're not. I just suddenly thought of them when that poster said few bands produce a masterpiece in their career, let alone 4 or however many he said Opeth have in their belt.

[and please note, I'm not debating whether Opeth stand out among their peers, I think it's pretty obvious that they do, whether or not you like the band]

And yeah, Mike's growls really are nothing special--they're just "decent". I like his singing voice, it's pleasant and has gotten better over the years [to the point of being "Very good" by now], but he's not some incredible godlike vocalist really... Mikko Kotamaki of Swallow the Sun is better at harsh vocals by quite a lot... And not too shabby on the clean vocals [although he doesnt compare to Mikael as a clean singer]. Jari Maenpaa and Devin Townsend, regardless of what you think of their respective projects, are both vastly superior vocalists to Mike.

"I AM metal"

Last edited by Burning_Angel : 12-16-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #11650
Geldin

I'm not gonna make a judgment until I've listened to more of their stuff, but I didn't really feel like Moonsorrow was for me. It might just be first-time skepticism, but I wasn't really digging into it.

As for Mikaels vocals, I think he's a really good vocalist for his band. His growls don't really compare well to guys who front straight-up death metal bands and his cleans aren't as great as Heavy Devy's, but his voice and style fits Opeth perfectly, so his technical flaws don't really resound because he's always playing to his strengths.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #11651
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis

Pretty much, yeah.

And Moonsorrow takes much time. I didnt like them at all when I first listened to them as a wee tike back like... 5 or so years ago. And now they're up there in my favorite bands, and have pretty much infinite replay value.

Mostly I think the fact that it's fundamentally pretty simple music, but with so much going on at the same time to give it depth, plus the length of the songs gives people problems--you have to spend a lot of time with the songs to truly get to know them, really. And the epic mix of "folk" and black metal can throw people off too - it's not near as simple as your usual folksy black metal band. I can see pretty clearly too though how for some people it would be either just boring or a bit overblown.

"I AM metal"

Last edited by Burning_Angel : 12-16-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #11652
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes

It does; took me some time to warm up to them as well. But once it clicks, you'll be listening to them on repeat. It goes far to say that it's not "casual tankard-swinging folk music with heavy guitars", but a serious band with a proper approach to their craft.
lastFM
Emenius Sleepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #11653
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis

Indeed.

"I AM metal"
Old 12-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #11654
Geldin

I'll definitely give them a few more spins in the next couple of days to see what sticks. It's definitely not what I expected when you said "folksy" and "black metal", that's for sure.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #11655
shenjing
Banned

This dress is carefully prepared, and I fell in love with a boy.He likes to wear a skirt girl, tomorrow is our first date, I want him to love me deeply, I'm going to wear this skirt, you see it pretty? I wear look good?
shenjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #11656
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

He likes to wear a skirt girl? Shit, you better run 'cause I think he's gonna cut your skin off and wear you! D:

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:21 AM   #11657
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
I'll definitely give them a few more spins in the next couple of days to see what sticks. It's definitely not what I expected when you said "folksy" and "black metal", that's for sure.

The best comparison I can make for it is Blood Fire Death/Hammerheart/TOTG era Bathory + Enslaved. Sort of.

But not really.

Or Tenhi playing blackish doomish metal? I dunno.

"I AM metal"
Old 12-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #11658
darkstar2466
Fly, you fools

Tenhi is pretty light on the metal scale. Definitely "metal," but not metal, y'know? Airut:aamujen is one of the most wonderful albums of all time.

Art & Lutherie
darkstar2466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #11659
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis

It is indeed. But I love everything they've done for different reasons.

And Saivo is probably their best work, I think, overall.

"I AM metal"
Old 12-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #11660
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning_Angel
The best comparison I can make for it is Blood Fire Death/Hammerheart/TOTG era Bathory + Enslaved. Sort of.

I can definitely see the Bathory comparison. I liked Blood Fire Death after a few spins, so I might really start to dig Moonsorrow.

Rate This Thread: