Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
The.new.guy
UG Freak

How tight to hold the pick?

Well, the title says most of it. How tight should I hold the pick? Should it be able to flop over the strings a bit or should it be held firmly enough so that it doesn't flop over them?

Thanks in advanced!

I witnessed:

Night of the Pear (II)
The.new.guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Peaceful Rocker
Banned

I started out playing classical, then acoustic. When I got my electric I never liked using a pick.

I still dont use one, ive learned how to play efficiently without a pick
Peaceful Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
metal4all
Always tripping

It matters what kind of sound you want. If you're sweeping or something, I hear holding the pick a little looser so it goes across the strings easier is good. Dynamics is a cool thing though. How tight you hold the pick will affect how the string is hit which will affect the sound you get. You'll want to hold it a certain way for different passages and songs.

Don't ever hold the pick so tight that your hand tenses up. That happens when you try to alternate pick to fast and/or tremolo pick. Tensing your hand up EVER is bad and can lead to injury.

PS, this should probably be in Advanced Techniques.

-Max Planck
☮∞☯♥
metal4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Hinro
Sex with the City

Wow The.new.guy., that post was really helpful.... Anyways, to answer your question, it depends on what you're doing. If you're lightly strumming an acoustic, a loose grip will allow for smooth strumming. If you're rapidly alternate picking, a tight grip will allow for precision and speed. In most cases, practice will allow you to feel out what grip works best for you.
Member #6 of the Princess Bride fan club! PM me, or any other member of the club you see to join. And remember, not doing so is inconcievable!

http://www.myspace.com/sexwiththecity
Hinro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
aetherspear
UG's producer/DJ

depends. If you're strumming I would hold it more loosely than when I'm doing single note lines and such.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
aetherspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
The.new.guy
UG Freak

Ok cool. Sounds like I should hold it a little tighter. Thanks!

I witnessed:

Night of the Pear (II)
The.new.guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
metal4all
Always tripping

Check this out: http://guitarprinciples.com/Guitar_Technique/Slant.htm

That shows some pictures on how to hold the pick.

Edit: If you're holding the pick incorrectly, how tight you're holding it may not be the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashewchaching
actually, i'm more opposite of atherspear. if i'm doing more strumming, i'm holding it a bit looser, and if i'm doing single notes, it's a bit tighter.
That's exactly what they said

-Max Planck
☮∞☯♥
metal4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
cashewchaching
Follower of Christ

actually, i'm more opposite of atherspear. if i'm doing more strumming, i'm holding it a bit looser, and if i'm doing single notes, it's a bit tighter.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
cashewchaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
filthylittleboy

Okay, everyone should take this advice.

You should be able to do many right hand techniques. They are all helpful, and will always come in handy when you are playing. Learning to tighten your grip or loosen depending on what you are doing is something becomes sub-conscious as you practice more.

Just try anything and everything with your right hand, and you are bound to find something that can help you, and that you like/feel comfortable with.

IMO making sure that you can play in different rhythms and time signatures is much more important, as it is something you have to actually think about.
filthylittleboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: