Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Hcmanu
Electro Kid.

Pantera walk tuning.

Topic. My tab say drop d but it just dont sound like its in drop d.

Thanks

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this ****ing website.

FACEBOOK
Hcmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
ToxicConfusion
Potentially Awesome

It works for me.

You're using distortion, right?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
konigstiger

its a quarter step down from D tuning, pantera would always tune a quarter step down or so from whatever tuning they were playing in...
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
konigstiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
COBHC728
1a2a3a

It's D standard.

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
COBHC728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
slipmaggot93
is gonna be famous.

its D standard isnt it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Wolf
I got a similar thing from playing too much Pokemon.

Magikarpal tunnel.
slipmaggot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
HighPotency
Banned

They play it in D standard but drop D works too.
HighPotency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
Guitarism12
Im a goose

yer it sounds better in d standard but if you feeling lazy it works fine in drop d
Guitarism12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
SinnaSatan
Get Ya Pull ofa That Sht

As dime said himself, he always tuned "a c*nthair" lower than regular tuning to get a tuning no one else had. And yes, it's STANDARD D, not drop D.

Yeah, sure, you can play the thing in drop, but you're not gonna be able to pull of the fake echo-slide thing in the solo correctly unless you stick to standard tuning.
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
SinnaSatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:32 AM   #9
The4thHorsemen
Which way's she spinning?

Umm... if you're good you can do a pretty decent impression of it.... I'm sick of people going on and on about playing something in D standard because that's how it was originally played. If you're playing on stage are you like "Hold on while everybody tunes down a step because we're too elitist to play it in Drop D"?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's just a lot more practical to drop the E string down instead of tuning everything down or going and switching guitars.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
DaddyTwoFoot
Barned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4thHorsemen
Umm... if you're good you can do a pretty decent impression of it.... I'm sick of people going on and on about playing something in D standard because that's how it was originally played. If you're playing on stage are you like "Hold on while everybody tunes down a step because we're too elitist to play it in Drop D"?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's just a lot more practical to drop the E string down instead of tuning everything down or going and switching guitars.

And if you have a floating tremolo system (like Dimebag did)?

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
DaddyTwoFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
SinnaSatan
Get Ya Pull ofa That Sht

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4thHorsemen
Well, I'd still say it's better and sound more correct to play it in ANY standard tuning as opposed to play it in drop.
Either you're tuned to E, Eb, D, Db, C stanard for that matter. I'm just saying that it's no always better to drop it to get the tuning, IMO it's better to play it as it should be, even though if that means playing it at a different pitch.
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
SinnaSatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:26 PM   #12
Myung-trucci
Cant afford a custom pic

Dime tunes down 10 cents or so, doesnt he?

LAST FM
Myung-trucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #13
panterajoey420

Please spread the word. Dimebag did not tune to "Drop D" . Tune your top string to the open note in "Walk" and tune the rest of your strings down like you would if you were tuning standard. Then get yourself some new tab because what your playing is incorrect, sorry. Again, Dime did not play this in drop D. He never played in Drop anything as far as i'm concerned. Pantera was also known for custom tuning. When i say D and i'm talking about Pantera i really mean 1/4 or 1/2 step lower than "D" . That's why i just tune the top string by ear to the song. Its easier that way if you have a good ear. There's also some sour chords in this song i see a lot of people failing to play, WTF. Watch some live performances and some of youtubes community covering it correctly. More people have it wrong than right i'v noticed so don't feel bad. I think it might be easier to play in drop D so this might be the reason why. But listen, if you like playing in frigging drop D the wrong way but your having fun....then play it in drop D. Im just trying to be informative. Drop tuning is kinda lazy i agree. Its easier to play in , i know i used to drop to D all the time till i realized D standard sounds heavier because the rest of the strings are lower too. If you wanna sound like a big wet smelly Pu$$y then play in Drop D.

Sincerely Joey

R.I.P. Dimebag

Last edited by panterajoey420 : 01-28-2009 at 11:59 PM.
panterajoey420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #14
panterajoey420

It matters. I say play it correctly or don't play it at all. Dime would want it accurate. There's some sour notes in their i'm sure u can achieve in drop D but it sounds different to me. I can notice when someone plays it in Drop D. You have to move the solo down 2 frets, its ******ed. play it right. Were talking different tensions on the strings, difference in the feel of bends and everything else inbetween. Even the noises u can barely notice between chords, everything fudging counts to me. Aim for perfection and at least you will always end up with good quality.

Last edited by panterajoey420 : 01-29-2009 at 12:01 AM.
panterajoey420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #15
DaddyTwoFoot
Barned

Quote:
Originally Posted by panterajoey420
Please spread the word. Dimebag did not tune to "Drop D" . Tune your top string to the open note in "Walk" and tune the rest of your strings down like you would if you were tuning standard. Then get yourself some new tab because what your playing is incorrect, sorry. Again, Dime did not play this in drop D. He never played in Drop anything as far as i'm concerned. Pantera was also known for custom tuning. When i say D and i'm talking about Pantera i really mean 1/4 or 1/2 step lower than "D" . That's why i just tune the top string by ear to the song. Its easier that way if you have a good ear. There's also some sour chords in this song i see a lot of people failing to play, WTF. Watch some live performances and some of youtubes community covering it correctly. More people have it wrong than right i'v noticed so don't feel bad. I think it might be easier to play in drop D so this might be the reason why. But listen, if you like playing in frigging drop D the wrong way but your having fun....then play it in drop D. Im just trying to be informative. Drop tuning is kinda lazy i agree. Its easier to play in , i know i used to drop to D all the time till i realized D standard sounds heavier because the rest of the strings are lower too. If you wanna sound like a big wet smelly Pu$$y then play in Drop D.

Sincerely Joey

R.I.P. Dimebag

A New Level is in Drop-D. The man himself said so. He also played in Drop-B in Damageplan as far as I know.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
DaddyTwoFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:18 AM   #16
xXxA7X~Fan07xXx

So I'm Broken is in standard tuning or what? Some tabs say its drop d and thats whats confusing me.
xXxA7X~Fan07xXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:16 AM   #17
metalmetalhead
Panterica

Quote:
It matters. I say play it correctly or don't play it at all. Dime would want it accurate. There's some sour notes in their i'm sure u can achieve in drop D but it sounds different to me. I can notice when someone plays it in Drop D. You have to move the solo down 2 frets, its ******ed. play it right. Were talking different tensions on the strings, difference in the feel of bends and everything else inbetween. Even the noises u can barely notice between chords, everything fudging counts to me. Aim for perfection and at least you will always end up with good quality.

Really i think Dime Bag was a real easy going guy i doubt he would really mind if you wanted to play his songs in Drop D. lol

I play it in drop D, I play im broken in drop D also. Sorry i know i should tune my whole guitar down or up for every song i play I guess i just dont have what it takes.

check out my youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevenebowen
metalmetalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #18
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Dime would want it accurate.

You have a hotline to the afterlife?
Arby911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #19
BadAssMoFo420

I had the same problem with Cowboys From Hell. I play it in drop D, and it sounds wierd. But in standard tuning, it is normal
BadAssMoFo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #20
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

This thread has been necrobumoped three times

And really, if the song is originally in D standard it's better to play in E standard than D standard. The fingerings are the same, who cares about the pitch unless you are playing with a backing track. (Some riffs are meant to be played with certain fingerings because playing them with different fingerings is a lot harder.) I never change my tuning, I don't care if the pitch isn't exactly the same as the original. It shouldn't really matter whether you play in Eb, D, standard, whatever if you are playing alone (with a singer it makes a difference because of his vocal range, but I assume this is/was going to be a bedroom "performance"). Drop D is different to D standard and D standard is closer to E standard than drop D.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 01-09-2013 at 03:35 PM.
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: