Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
Twist of fate
We Came as Romans

Location: Jersey. If you could live forever, would you be ready for the next Adventure?
Removing the guitar from songs

Ok so I've got a number of sweet 16s coming up and the hosts have asked me to play guitar at it. I have no band and it's too late now so I have 3 options and I'd rather pick the last if possible.

1. Play guitar solo with no accompaniment. <---A bit lame
2. Play guitar WITH the song. <--A bit unimpressive as it'll seem as if I'm not actually playing
3. Get a program and work on removing the guitar from it and play WITH the song.

I've looked this up and can't seem to find any type of program but I know you guys are better at this stuff than I am. I know it is possible and I've heard of it being done, I just can't find a site/program to do it.
If anyone knows of a program that can do this, can you post here?

Band page! http://www.facebook.com/PedestalsNJ

Tumblr-http://www.one-mandrinkinggamess.tumblr.com
Twist of fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
SlashYourFug
UG's favorite fug slasher

It's called having access to the master recording. Which i highly doubt you have.
Peavey 5150

Proud member of the Anti Signature Sisterhood.
SlashYourFug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:20 PM   #3
chrisa123
Crazy Bastard

Pick some songs that have no guitar or non impressive rhythm that people still like and write your own parts for them if you are comfortable with theory and writing that is. That's probably your best option. I personally don't know any programs that can do what you are looking for.
chrisa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
vash_08
UG Member

it's never too late
vash_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
USAPeavey
Starcraft Fanatic

IMO option 1 is still the best...

Unless you can manage #3, and pull it off VERY well, in a guitar oriented song. Otherwise you might as well just be DJ'ing the parties.

And unless the party-goers know anything about playing the guitar, I couldn't imagine playing with the song being very impressive at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
USAPeavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
Twist of fate
We Came as Romans

Location: Jersey. If you could live forever, would you be ready for the next Adventure?
Well, I'll be playing some Ac/Dc so that's simple enough to play with it. There's a lot of variety in the way that I can play in those songs.
I guess if I familiarized myself with the song that'd be enough.

As for getting a band, I CAN try that. Maybe a thread in musican ads.

Thanks for the help anyone, but if anyone does still know of a program, you can still post.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:59 PM   #7
werty22
Banned

There is no program that can take the guitar out of a song, but you can find backing tracks to some popular songs online. I think some people on this forum have recommended www.guitarbt.com.
werty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:07 AM   #8
Twist of fate
We Came as Romans

It sounds as equally as good thank you.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
Philbigtime
Aluminum-Wrapped cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by werty22
There is no program that can take the guitar out of a song, but you can find backing tracks to some popular songs online. I think some people on this forum have recommended www.guitarbt.com.

Actually, I have seen programs that claim to take the vocal or guitar out with EQ, but, practically speaking, it's impossible without the masters.

The problem with these programs is that once you the take out all those frequencies, the song will sound so terrible and hollow that it's really not worth it at all.
Philbigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
XnaySaturo

Get some backing tracks. Google it. It's usually drum and bass, not like the original recording, but it does the job for sure.
XnaySaturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #11
Black Star
UG Fanatic

Why not just play acoustic? Unplugged shows sound perfectly fine with just one guitar.
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Black Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
Philbigtime
Aluminum-Wrapped cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star
Why not just play acoustic? Unplugged shows sound perfectly fine with just one guitar.

Yep, as long as you know the chords for all the songs and you can sing and play at the same time, this is the far superior choice.

Also, girls will cream their panties if you do both at the same time, even if you're only halfway decent. Seriously.
Philbigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbigtime
Actually, I have seen programs that claim to take the vocal or guitar out with EQ, but, practically speaking, it's impossible without the masters.

I've never seen this work with guitar, but when they remove vocals like that, it isn't with EQ. It is done with phase cancellation. When done properly, the center 'channel' (which is where the lead vocal, bass and kick drum usually are) collapses in on itself and disappears. What is left is the guitars, keys, backing vocals, drums, reverb and other stereo effects (which explains why you might still hear some bass and kick and some lead vocal), etc. Because of what you are losing, the end result is the hollow, terrible sound you're referring to.

Guitar doesn't work because it is almost always panned to the right and/or left.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
I've never seen this work with guitar, but when they remove vocals like that, it isn't with EQ. It is done with phase cancellation. When done properly, the center 'channel' (which is where the lead vocal, bass and kick drum usually are) collapses in on itself and disappears. What is left is the guitars, keys, backing vocals, drums, reverb and other stereo effects (which explains why you might still hear some bass and kick and some lead vocal), etc. Because of what you are losing, the end result is the hollow, terrible sound you're referring to.

Guitar doesn't work because it is almost always panned to the right and/or left.

CT

once again axemanchris shows his technical prowess. everything he's posted is the entire unabashed truth. do an acoustic show, or play along with the cd and turn your guitar up a little over the original recording so they know its you playing and not just air guitar.

edit: or find backing tracks for the songs that are just bass and drums.
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #15
Sonicxlover
The blood of this city

You should probably play acoustic and sing, maybe some original stuff. That's the only way I could see this situation going down well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Sonicxlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #16
FuzzyBear
UG Newbie

has anyone used any of those programs that were being talked about cancelling the vox off a track? ive been interested in trying my hand at making some mashups for awhile

also is it possible to reverse the process and lift some kind of acapella off a track?
FuzzyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #17
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep...es/qa0904-7.htm

Pretty easy to remove a vocal with some success, but to make an acapella track, no. The two sides are different enough that there isn't enough material to cancel each other out.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 AM   #18
Mr.Pink101
Ribbed for her pleasure

Play Solo Acoustic, But dont do flat chords and boring stuff, something Like Blackbird by the beatles is Very Impressive and not too hard. if you want some nice soft acoustic songs that are reasonably impressive Live and solo, then there are threads in acoustic section, i can reccomend

(off the top of my head)
Tears in Heaven- Eric Clapton
Cannonball- Damien Rice
Blackbird- The Beatles
Mardy Bum- Arctic Monkeys (theres a better tab of it here: http://www.ortoPilot.com/ )
Roses From My Friends- Ben Harper

If you have a guitarist mate who can help, there are heaps of awesome dual guitar songs

Brown Eyed Girl- Van morrison is a great one to do with 2 guitarists
Mr.Pink101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #19
keithmoon15

keithmoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #20
Aussie_skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbigtime
Yep, as long as you know the chords for all the songs and you can sing and play at the same time, this is the far superior choice.

Also, girls will cream their panties if you do both at the same time, even if you're only halfway decent. Seriously.

if you played hey there delilah that would happen
you could even change the name if its a chick's party

jack johnson is good for the ladies, or you could do an acoustic bullet for my valentine song, look it up on youtube sounds pretty good, almost better than the original

Last edited by Aussie_skater : 10-12-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Aussie_skater is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: