Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #21
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
^ (to jackblsdaniels) dude i don't know why you're getting so ticked off. i'm giving the guy pretty decent advice and you're just being pissy. btw, i'm not the only person who has gotten (or luckily for me curbed) carpal tunnel as a result of playing with too much tension. do a search on google and i bet you find plenty of listings. to reiterate my main point, if you're playing with no tension then its not anchoring.

subsequently if you THINK you aren't playing with tension, then you remove your finger or whatever from the body of the guitar and that screws up your playing i'd reconsider how you're doing it. btw, you're obviously still young. i didn't start developing CTS till about 3 years ago when i was 25. i had to relearn how to play guitar which i had been doing for about 10 or 11 years at the time, not an easy task but i'm glad i did it. i'm ALOT better now than i was then.

your guitar teacher at GIT is just that, a guitar teacher. if he was a chiropractor and/or specialized in bone/muscles as a dr. he'd probably have a different statement, especially if he had studied how the hand works especially when playing guitar. lastly, he probably can prop a finger against the body of the guitar and get no tension, he can probably also play without that finger on the body of the guitar and it won't affect how he plays.
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 PM   #22
strat0blaster
growing out of the snake

Damn. After reading all this, I kinda want Freepower to give me lessons - he could probably really help with my chops - especially for soloing... Seems like a really knowledgable dude - you should heed his advice.

Learning from others' experience is a valuable asset.

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
show
Old 10-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #23
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
^ pls pls pls pls pls for the love of god, listen to FreePower. theres a reason he's a mod, he knows what he's talking about
Old 10-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #24
The.new.guy
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
Damn. After reading all this, I kinda want Freepower to give me lessons - he could probably really help with my chops - especially for soloing... Seems like a really knowledgable dude - you should heed his advice.

Learning from others' experience is a valuable asset.

Dude, I've wanted lessons from Freepower for a VERY long time. Too bad I don't live where he does. I would be willing to travel 100 mi./week just for lessons with that guy!

I witnessed:

Night of the Pear (II)
Old 10-07-2008, 10:33 PM   #25
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

^ btw, didn't pay these people to say that. I guess that's why I'm on UG "flaming people" so that I can "stop them progressing".
Old 10-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #26
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

^ i'm gonna need about three fitty.....
Old 10-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #27
Freepower

'S the goddamn LOCH NESS MONSTAH!

(for those out of the loop, watch more south park, shame on you!)
Old 10-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #28
SilverDark
Waka Waka, mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Everything he just said

x∞

What he just said is full of godly insight. It is so crazy that I actually had to find the infinity sign just to emphasize it.

Freepower HAS to be the admin of the AT forum.

Please add your rational response about anchoring to the sticky.

And to that dude: Paul Gilbert NEVER anchors. Ever. I know that for a fact.

Last edited by SilverDark : 10-07-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:17 PM   #29
Freepower

Yeah, I'ma probably add Z's posts too.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #30
tona_107
UG Addict

I just noticed that I rest my picking hand just above the strings on the guitar when I'm not strumming chords.
Am I anchoring?
Old 10-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #31
SilverDark
Waka Waka, mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tona_107
I just noticed that I rest my picking hand just above the strings on the guitar when I'm not strumming chords.
Am I anchoring?

Keyword. Are you pressing hard on the strings? Then no.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #32
tona_107
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDark
Keyword. Are you pressing hard on the strings? Then no.

I meant like... Not floating above, as in like the part of your guitar just above where the strings are. So I rest my hand on the guitar, like north of the strings whenever I pick.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:37 PM   #33
Freepower

^ if your hand is stuck in that position - anchoring. Anchored to a point - anchored. Not stuck to a point - unanchored. Read the sticky.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #34
SilverDark
Waka Waka, mofo

Do you mean like... On the body of the guitar towards your head? If you don't play, then your resting. If you're doing it while a chord is ringing, I don't see any incentive to do that... If you can show a diagram I think it would be more helpful.
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:47 PM   #35
tona_107
UG Addict

Quote:
^ if your hand is stuck in that position - anchoring. Anchored to a point - anchored. Not stuck to a point - unanchored. Read the sticky.

Ah, it's weird because I never even noticed that I did it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDark
Do you mean like... On the body of the guitar towards your head? If you don't play, then your resting. If you're doing it while a chord is ringing, I don't see any incentive to do that... If you can show a diagram I think it would be more helpful.

Yeah, I meant like, k, if you go from the bottom of your guitar to the top, you have the bottom, then you have your pickup selector, tone volume knobs etc, then you have the strings/bridge, then you have where I rest my hand, then you have the top of the guitar
And by "I do it when I don't strum, I meant, I don't do it when I strum chords, but I do it when I pick individual notes.

This sucks I never noticed that I did it. And then I tried to play with my hand floating above the strings and it sucked.
I'm pissed that I have to re learn this cause it's not something I even noticed, my hand just happens to sit there when I'm picking.
I can do scales fine without resting my hand and sweep pick fine, but I can't like arpeggiate chords at all if you know what I mean.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:49 PM   #36
Freepower

^ yeah, anchoring can severely limit your range of motion, depending on how hard you press and where.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:51 PM   #37
tona_107
UG Addict

Quote:
^ yeah, anchoring can severely limit your range of motion, depending on how hard you press and where.

Is it bad even though I find I can pick pretty quickly and accurately even with anchoring?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:32 AM   #38
SilverDark
Waka Waka, mofo

Yes. If you want to re-learn guitar w/o anchoring, practice whatever you do while not anchoring.

And play slowly.

If you play slowly, you can notice and catch yourself anchoring, and the more you catch yourself, the more you tell your brain to not do it, and the more you do that, the more it goes away.
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:42 AM   #39
The4thHorsemen
Which way's she spinning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4twenny
+100

this is dead on. its ok to touch your guitar. just notice when your hand is tense and where it is tense. find out WHY it is tense and fix it.

yay! I feel special!

With myself I'm not really sure if I'm anchoring or not. It seems to me that when I'm playing anywhere from normal speed to fairly fast I'm not anchoring, my fingers may be touching but they're loose and move with my hand: not fixed. But then when I play at high speeds I can't help myself from anchoring, my pinky pushes up against the bottom of the pick-up. It's not a really bad anchor, but it's there and I can't get rid of it!

oh well, more practice for me I guess.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #40
Helpy Helperton

I noticed myself anchoring when finger picking, I anchored my pinky to the body of the guitar. Now I noticed this a long time ago before I started getting into theory and the do's and don't do's of guitar. I wondered from watching vids of myself playing "why do I need to have my finger there?", decided to do something to stop it and am very happy I did. True it set my progress back slightly but in the long run I would rather take one back step followed by 2 steps forward to improve my technique. Finger picking now feels more comfortable with a floating hand than it did while anchored, I can say from experience that there is a great deal of tension created by anchoring and i'm super glad to be rid of it.

I was lucky when it came to using a pick because I remembered this lesson from fingerpicking and started out not anchoring. It does seem to me that the people who suggest anchoring are the ones who can't be annoyed to change their own technique for the better, these people should not be teaching others to play. Learn from people who are willing to assess their own technique, those are true musicians and teachers (because they learn as well as teach)

Rate This Thread: