Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #41
TheShred201
Back From The Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackblsdaniels
try picking semi quavers at 220 bpm.... tensing up...dam right you are

On a side note even though FP already pretty much destroyed your post, to answer this, no, not really. Try again.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #42
se012101

^ same here. I have to warm up to it a bit, but 16ths at 220 is no problem for me, tension wise. I have some trouble if there is string skipping at that speed, but if its all on adjacent strings it's no prob if I'm in the mood. And I dont anchor.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #43
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4thHorsemen
But then when I play at high speeds I can't help myself from anchoring, my pinky pushes up against the bottom of the pick-up. It's not a really bad anchor, but it's there and I can't get rid of it!

Any anchor is bad and you can get rid of it you're just not playing slowly enough, slow down more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Old 10-08-2008, 05:25 PM   #44
rastametal

Pot

can any one tell me some songs that are pretty easy and like basic...

im a beginner but im tryin to pick up some good songs so ya, help me out...

feel free to message me or w/e, pce =]
Old 10-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #45
Gacel
In 5ths I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by se012101
^ same here. I have to warm up to it a bit, but 16ths at 220 is no problem for me, tension wise. I have some trouble if there is string skipping at that speed, but if its all on adjacent strings it's no prob if I'm in the mood. And I dont anchor.

16ths at 220 ... wtf ... /DROOL!!!!

World of Warcraft inspired songs! lyrics included! (Metal)
Hail Outcasts
A Priestess Called Atrocity
Slaughter in Stormwind
The Dread Citadel (Naxxramas) (instrumental)
Sands of Silithus
The Gates of Orgrimmar
Old 10-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #46
Retro Rocker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gacel
16ths at 220 ... wtf ... /DROOL!!!!

It's not as hard as it sounds.
Actually, thats the whole point; it ISN'T hard to do because there's hardly any tension.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #47
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
^ thats about 13.75 nps if my calcs are correct. i'd call that the absolute limit of my playing. if i had to go any faster i probably would start getting tense, i'd probably also start playing sloppy too. realistically if you're playing that fast with or without distortion its going to sound more like a single long note instead of individual notes. i personally would rather play a little slower than that and have the each individual note be audible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Any anchor is bad and you can get rid of it you're just not playing slowly enough, slow down more!

this is so true. i felt like a f#cking ****** when i had to start all over a couple years back. it drove me NUTS, i actually remember thinking to myself "god i'm awful, i'm never going to sound like i did before i keep going this unanchored route" i was really REALLY discouraged about it for about a month cuz i kept trying and kept trying and fixing 10 years worth of f#ck ups isn't a quick task. LUCKILY i had the tenacity and after about 6 months i got about back to where i was. i had to slow down to mind numbing slow speed and i was literally picking through one string over and over and once i was a little comfy with that i would try to alt pick it super slowly. however now i'm considerably cleaner and i believe even a bit quicker than i was before (removing tension has that affect)
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.

Last edited by z4twenny : 10-08-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #48
The.new.guy
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tona_107
Is it bad even though I find I can pick pretty quickly and accurately even with anchoring?

Yes.

If you have to anchor, you don't have any real control.

EX. When you started riding a bike, you couldn't balance, right? You used training wheels. Anchoring is like the training wheels. The difference here is, you can't really learn anything from anchoring except how to hurt yourself.

I'm sure that was a pretty bad example but, I know I get the gist of it.

P.S. THANKS FOR STEALING MY THREAD!

Nahh I'm kidding. I don't mind, I got my answer.

I witnessed:

Night of the Pear (II)
Old 10-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #49
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4twenny
^ thats about 13.75 nps if my calcs are correct.

14.6 by my reckoning...

Unfortunately as yet I can only reach about 13nps on a good day.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 10-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #50
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

All you guys are faster than me, lol.

Still, it's amazing that you can repair and surpass 10 years worth of playing in 6 months. Almost nothing in the long run.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #51
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:

Ignoring speed you probably surpass most of us technically though and musically you certainly kick my ass (IMHO). And you own a Schecter 007 so you're automatically cooler than me, music aside.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 10-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #52
Freepower

^ I just can't pick those mad speeds. Recently got up to about 11nps and now I'ma just working on following chord tones, playing drums and bass, learning covers for teaching... etc etc. I can legato some of the notes if I need to, that's what 9/10 of my fast playing is.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #53
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
^ I just can't pick those mad speeds. Recently got up to about 11nps and now I'ma just working on following chord tones, playing drums and bass, learning covers for teaching... etc etc. I can legato some of the notes if I need to, that's what 9/10 of my fast playing is.

Well if we're including legato runs in this thing then my tops bump up to about 14 nps and further if you include tapping and stupid crud like that

Either way I meant things like finger independence, economy of motion and all that stuff, you kick my ass at that at least.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 10-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #54
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
Quote:

Still, it's amazing that you can repair and surpass 10 years worth of playing in 6 months. Almost nothing in the long run.

well i rarely if ever play at that kinda speed though. if i do its more for a "sustained note" effect than the premise of individual notes, if you start running up a scale (or moving up or down) with distortion on it almost sounds like a sin wave fluctuating pitch which is cool but lame if you do it on every song.

and believe me, those 6 months worth of playing felt like 10 years. im still pissed that i didn't know about it way back when cuz y'know even 10 years from now i won't be good enough for me
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #55
Retro Rocker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4twenny
cuz y'know even 10 years from now i won't be good enough for me

No serious musician will ever be good enough for themselves
Old 10-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #56
se012101

The amazing thing for me was that I went from pretty fast to really fast in less than a year. At the time I recorded that silly slayer cover on my profile (about 14 months ago), I'd max out at about 180 bpm in 16ths (12 nps), maybe 190 on a good day. And there was plenty of tension. In literally 8 or 9 months I went from that to being able to manage 16th notes at 260, though I do have some tension when I try to do that. I had been playing for a long time before that, so I guess I had a good base to build on, but you really can improve your speed that much if you really work on your technique.

But honestly, thats not where my focus is these days. Maybe once every 2 months I'll be in the mood and turn the amp up pretty loud, and go into maximum kill people mode. It is kind of a rush, but it's very limiting. When improvising, there just isn't time to be that creative, and everything returns to pure muscle memory mode, just stock patterns that I've been playing for years.
To me, what is really impressive is people that can pull off amazing sh*t at a moderately fast but not crazy tempo like 150 bpm, maybe with just the occasional 16th note triplet flurry. So working towards that is where all my energy is spent these days. Basically, I realized that getting to the point where you have some raw speed is just the beginning.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #57
Freepower

^ yep, that's the kind of stuff I'm trying to get down atm. I think we've a few years head of us . That's a seriously impressive 9 months of progress, btw, how much were you practicing?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:54 PM   #58
se012101

^ I was probably averaging about 2 hrs/day over that year. Kind of hard to say for sure, because there were stretches where I'd play a lot more than that, and a few "weekend warrior" stretches.
I did a lot of exercises, but the main one was 20 mins of chromatics (the variant where you start the 1234 on a different finger on each string) at the beginning of every practice. That really helped me keep my fingers close to the fretboard, and gave me a good volume of steady picking each day. That and really sticking to the habit of starting every lick at 40% or less speed, and working it up through multiple tempos until it was just a bit out of my comfort zone.

I say it was 9 months or so, but it really didn't happen like that. Basically, I had a tension wall at 180-190 bpm. As I worked on it, first there were cracks in the wall, like a day where suddenly I "got" it, and was able to go quite a bit faster. Then the next day the wall was back. Over time as I worked on it, the good days become more frequent, until eventually the good technique locked in, and bam! The wall was gone. Or at least that version of it.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:20 AM   #59
fixationdarknes
RR addict

Oh yeah? Well I can lick my elbow. BEAT THAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard_xD
So while you fap, you're thinking "oh this is a really good song, I'll need to get the album?"
Old 10-09-2008, 05:06 AM   #60
Retro Rocker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
Oh yeah? Well I can lick my elbow. BEAT THAT.

I can lick your elbow too

Rate This Thread: