Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

 
Old 10-15-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
TORSION
shnitzel bandit
 
TORSION's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Australia
Bla-bla-bla how do i get rid of tendonitis??? for good..?

yes i have tendonitis in both wrists.
i havent played for around 4 weeks now..
this is the second time ive had it. last time i did physio and ended up not playing for a few months..
it went away for a bit, but came back..

i really want to be able to play again, as its basically all i do..
i also want to be able to work out, but i dont mind if i have to give that up.
i also do karate now, but i dont think that hurts them too much..

the main pain causer i think is my work..
i am an apprentice electrician and i have to pull cables all day, which puts alot of strain on my wrists. i cant exactly quit.. but if it means being able to play again, i will definately think about it.

guitar is also a big cause i think.. i play metal music and was working alot on legato, alternate picking sweeping, all that sort of stuff.. is this an indication that i am doing something wrong? too much tension or something?

its really getting me down not being able to play anymore, what can i do to get rid of this bloody thing once and for all?

cheers guys
__________________
MD5K
IBANEZ
TORSION is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
sbikram
Registered User
 
sbikram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORSION

guitar is also a big cause i think.. i play metal music and was working alot on legato, alternate picking sweeping, all that sort of stuff.. is this an indication that i am doing something wrong? too much tension or something?



i dont really know about the electrician stuff, but for guitar i really think you have too much tension in your wrists...
dont practice all at once,...
keep taking breaks..
__________________
sbikram is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
lexieangel
"music in meeee"
 
lexieangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: southampton, UK
try doing some small strech excerices on your wrists, this will teach your muscles to relax again.
try making your wrist go floppy, then slowly tighten your fingers to make a fist shape. do this 10 times on each hand (one hand at a time)
itll help a little it did when i had somthing wrong with my wrist .... because by making a fist your loosing lots of little muscles at once! xxxx
__________________
Click me
http://ialli.com
lexieangel is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
gutsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
I'd really advise for you to see a doctor and follow his advice. not saying people here can't contribute with issues like these but you really want to make sure you're doing the right thing and not messing up your wrists more.
gutsman is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
 
GuitarMunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: on your back
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORSION
yes i have tendonitis in both wrists.
i havent played for around 4 weeks now..
this is the second time ive had it. last time i did physio and ended up not playing for a few months..
it went away for a bit, but came back..

i really want to be able to play again, as its basically all i do..
i also want to be able to work out, but i dont mind if i have to give that up.
i also do karate now, but i dont think that hurts them too much..

the main pain causer i think is my work..
i am an apprentice electrician and i have to pull cables all day, which puts alot of strain on my wrists. i cant exactly quit.. but if it means being able to play again, i will definately think about it.

guitar is also a big cause i think.. i play metal music and was working alot on legato, alternate picking sweeping, all that sort of stuff.. is this an indication that i am doing something wrong? too much tension or something?

its really getting me down not being able to play anymore, what can i do to get rid of this bloody thing once and for all?

cheers guys


Whether you get better for good or not depends on a lot of factors. There are a lot of things you have to give up for awhile if you really want to heal, but if you do things right you're likely to get most of them back. I would highly recommend taking a look at this program, as well as seeing a doctor.

http://www.selfcare4rsi.com/

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 10-15-2008 at 11:06 AM.
GuitarMunky is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
 
z4twenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
^ Gutsman and Guitarmunky are pretty much dead on. Get to a Dr. and follow whatever regimen they give no matter how much it sucks. cuz music is what you love right? and you'd do anything for something you love (at least thats how i view music)

as for your guitar technique being a cause of tendonitis i would consider that as a possibility. if you can afford to get a classically trained teacher to correct any technique error i highly recommend it. if nothing else watch ALOT of youtube of some of the masters and pay very close attention to everything they do, you will surely notice "oh hey, my hand isn't angled like that" or "he's holding his fingers/hand/pick etc differently than i am". taking breaks while practicing is also suggested. i'm not sure how often on end you practice, i will say that eventually you will get to a point where playing for 2 hours straight will be no big deal. but that is definitely something you build into and generally takes awhile to get there. lastly, if you anchor please stop. i don't know if you do but i know it directly affects carpal tunnel and i think it may also affect arthritis and i wouldn't be terribly surprised if it also affects tendonitis.
__________________
41 songs in my profile, click "view all mp3's" all sorts of variety
Check out my new Industrial side project Penis Christ
http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/penischrist/
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
Paquijón
Registered User
 
Paquijón's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Go to a doctor ASAP. If taking a break from guitar for a while is recommended, by all means, do it! In the mean time learn a different instrument and buff up on your music theory. Just because you can't play guitar doesn't mean you are completely cut off from producing and enjoying music.
Paquijón is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
 
axemanchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
+1 on the doctor thing. That is really your ONLY option.

Tendonitis can be treated, and may have the symptoms minimized, but it is often very difficult, if not impossible to cure it. A friend of mine even went through surgery, and another friend of mine went through two surgeries... no dice.

With tendonitis, the best offense is a good defense.

CT
__________________
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #9
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
 
GuitarMunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: on your back
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
+1 on the doctor thing. That is really your ONLY option.

Tendonitis can be treated, and may have the symptoms minimized, but it is often very difficult, if not impossible to cure it. A friend of mine even went through surgery, and another friend of mine went through two surgeries... no dice.

With tendonitis, the best offense is a good defense.

CT

Well actually, there are other options. if you have insurance, and or have enough money you definitely do want to see a doctor though, at least to get a diagnosis, But if he starts talking surgery right away or even cortisone shots I highly recommend looking into some other methods. From everything I've heard, those are last resorts that have low success rates and often make for a weaker recovery. of course if your injury is progressed to the point where you are in constant pain, they may be the right option for you.

One thing I know for sure, is that the people who have tendinitis really bad and never lose it, are the people that don't give themselves a break and continue working as if they don't have it. It's tough because you have to make a living, but if you can find any way to take a break that break just may allow you to recover.

I would do some research. Look into holistic approaches, like massage therapy or things like acupuncture. A friend of mine who has carpal tunnel has been going to massage therapy and says he has no problems now playing the guitar or using his hands in general. While this is a serious thing, don't psych yourself out, having a positive attitude is very important towards healing. A lot of people do in fact recover from tendinitis, sometimes fully. Focus on the positive stories, not the negative.

Again, I strongly recommend this program.

http://www.selfcare4rsi.com/

There is a lot you can learn from it and I'm sure you will find it helpful.

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 10-15-2008 at 08:13 PM.
GuitarMunky is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd
 
Archeo Avis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
or things like acupuncture.


Why not try bloodletting while you're at it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac72187
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Archeo Avis is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
 
GuitarMunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: on your back
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeo Avis
Why not try bloodletting while you're at it?


http://www.somaacupuncture.com/tendonitis.htm

you know of any places that treat tendonitis with bloodletting?
GuitarMunky is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #12
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd
 
Archeo Avis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMunky
http://www.somaacupuncture.com/tendonitis.htm

you know of any places that treat tendonitis with bloodletting?


The point is both are ridiculous concepts with no supporting evidence. Acupuncture consistently fails to deliver even marginal results in properly designed double blinded trials.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac72187
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Archeo Avis is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #13
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
 
GuitarMunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: on your back
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeo Avis
The point is both are ridiculous concepts with no supporting evidence. Acupuncture consistently fails to deliver even marginal results in properly designed double blinded trials.


talk about things you know about. This isn't one of them.
GuitarMunky is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #14
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd
 
Archeo Avis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMunky
talk about things you know about. This isn't one of them.


This is generally the point where you would produce properly designed studies demonstrating the efficacy of the treatment you're recommending. Not only does it consistently fail to perform any better than sham acupuncture, but there's no possible mechanism by which it could work. Recommending useless treatments to people is dangerous.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac72187
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.

Last edited by Archeo Avis : 10-15-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Archeo Avis is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #15
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
 
GuitarMunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: on your back
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeo Avis
This is generally the point where you would produce properly designed studies demonstrating the efficacy of the treatment you're recommending. Not only does it consistently fail to perform any better than sham acupuncture, but there's no possible mechanism by which it could work.


The recommendation was to look into things. The things I mentioned are things I've become aware of either through personal experience, word-of-mouth, or things I've read about. I don't advocate any one method. I'm not a doctor, it's not my place to do that.

Putting things down that you know nothing about and making smart ass remarks isn't helpful to anyone, and really is inappropriate for a topic as serious as this. So why don't you offer some real advice or stfu.
GuitarMunky is offline  
Old 10-16-2008, 12:47 AM   #16
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd
 
Archeo Avis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Putting things down that you know nothing about and making smart ass remarks isn't helpful to anyone, and really is inappropriate for a topic as serious as this. So why don't you offer some real advice or stfu.


You advised him to look into a useless treatment for a medical condition. That's dangerous. Someone had to call you on it. I do happen to be extremely familiar with research surrounding acupuncture, by the way. Even if I wasn't, the burden of proof is on you to support your claims.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac72187
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.

Last edited by Archeo Avis : 10-16-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Archeo Avis is offline  
Old 10-16-2008, 01:34 AM   #17
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
 
GuitarMunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: on your back
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeo Avis
You advised him to look into a useless treatment for a medical condition. That's dangerous. Someone had to call you on it. I do happen to be extremely familiar with research surrounding acupuncture, by the way. Even if I wasn't, the burden of proof is on you to support your claims.


You don't have a clue about tendinitis, or acupuncture, you are just a smart ass punk looking for an argument. I've got better things to do, so please, stop being an idiot. Post something useful, and relevant, or don't say anything at all.

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 10-16-2008 at 01:48 AM.
GuitarMunky is offline  
Old 10-16-2008, 03:24 AM   #18
pandora_grunt
Keys Blaster
 
pandora_grunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rotterdam
GuitarMunky watch-out with those claims. That's where YOUR inner PUNK comes out.

Archeo might actually do have a clue about this shit.

However, I am an your side Munk. Where-as it may not have been proven. Undergoing acupuncture may work in a physical way somehow or the other, but mostly mental. I'm nto an expert but I've heard stories abotu how it releaves stress.

I'd like to add that yoru mental state does influence your physical state. it is connected. I speak out of personal experiences, between me, my family and friends.

Acupuncture probably works liek a placebo or something, but you have to know your gettin treated. You relax as yoru open to the treatment, and yoru chance of recovery (or supression of disease/condition at hand) are therefor enhanced.

As one last note: this discussion si endless because in reality we don't know jack shit abotu the human body, just the tip of the iceberg. The day we fully comprehend the human brain, is the day we might can have a full-of-facts-discussion about this matter.

-------------------------------------------------

On topic: Go see a doctor, look into not as rigourous alternative manners of "healing." And think positive my friend. It helps
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallman
I Kissed A Girl is a GREAT song!

I can't believe you guys!


Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
He even calls his bass guitar a 'sonic rumblehammer'.
pandora_grunt is offline  
Old 10-16-2008, 03:39 AM   #19
RichieJovie
My ass bleeds for you
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Go to the DR.
You may end up with a Hydro Cortisone injection to relieve the pain. ( this hurts like feck)

I have now been 6-7 months without pain and think I may be over my last bout.

Generally this is triggered by over straining and not warming up properly.

So for now, rest it, see the Doc, try to not over strain and grit your teeth if you get the injection cos it really fecking hurts.
__________________
Go and Gig, stop hiding in your bedrooms!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2yA2V_o_tjo
RichieJovie is offline  
Old 10-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #20
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
 
GuitarMunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: on your back
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora_grunt
GuitarMunky watch-out with those claims. That's where YOUR inner PUNK comes out.

Archeo might actually do have a clue about this shit.


umm no dude. People that have a clue offer information, not smart ass remarks.

Don't tell me to watch out with those claims. If you actually read my post you will see that...... I MADE NO CLAIMS. Please, read before posting and making false accusations.

regarding acupuncture, I just listed it as 1 of many alternatives that people try. My POINT was that there are alternatives worth looking into..... thats it. LOOKING INTO means just that. YOU (the TS).... researches it and decides what is right for him.

I offered ideas based on what I've heard & know. It's amazing that you cant do that here without some immature jackass turning it into one these typical UG pointless arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieJovie
Go to the DR.
You may end up with a Hydro Cortisone injection to relieve the pain. ( this hurts like feck)

I have now been 6-7 months without pain and think I may be over my last bout.

Generally this is triggered by over straining and not warming up properly.

So for now, rest it, see the Doc, try to not over strain and grit your teeth if you get the injection cos it really fecking hurts.


You have tendonitis ?

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 10-16-2008 at 10:30 AM.
GuitarMunky is offline  
 


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.