Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-16-2008, 10:20 AM   #21
Belgarion89

I have tennis elbow in my right arm from too much computer, and occasionally it gives me pain and cracks when I fully extend it. Towards the end of my Army Basic Training it flared into tendinitis fairly bad, but with treatment went away for good after a few days. First step is go see a doctor, he'll know more than anyone on this forum (unless there are some doctors looking here) and will be able to diagnose you more correctly. He'll also know good exercises and stretching, as well as maybe give you some medication (I was given just regular ibuprofen) to help with the pain. Before you get there, put some ice on it, that'll help the pain and the swelling.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #22
FERG93

I had tendinitis in my knee once. I don't know if it's any different in the wrist, but what I did was ace-wrap a ziploc bag of ice to my knee, with a rag between the bag and my knee. I know it would really get in the way when it's on your wrist, but keep it on there for a few hours.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #23
RichieJovie
My ass bleeds for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMunky
umm no dude. People that have a clue offer information, not smart ass remarks.

Don't tell me to watch out with those claims. If you actually read my post you will see that...... I MADE NO CLAIMS. Please, read before posting and making false accusations.

regarding acupuncture, I just listed it as 1 of many alternatives that people try. My POINT was that there are alternatives worth looking into..... thats it. LOOKING INTO means just that. YOU (the TS).... researches it and decides what is right for him.

I offered ideas based on what I've heard & know. It's amazing that you cant do that here without some immature jackass turning it into one these typical UG pointless arguments.

You have tendonitis ?

Yup I've had it.

It seems to be under control at present.

Both hands.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2yA2V_o_tjo
Old 10-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #24
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd

Quote:
Acupuncture probably works liek a placebo or something, but you have to know your gettin treated. You relax as yoru open to the treatment, and yoru chance of recovery (or supression of disease/condition at hand) are therefor enhanced.

That's exactly why it works, as evidenced by the fact that sham acupuncture shows just as much benefit.
Quote:
Don't tell me to watch out with those claims. If you actually read my post you will see that...... I MADE NO CLAIMS. Please, read before posting and making false accusations.

regarding acupuncture, I just listed it as 1 of many alternatives that people try. My POINT was that there are alternatives worth looking into..... thats it. LOOKING INTO means just that. YOU (the TS).... researches it and decides what is right for him.

I offered ideas based on what I've heard & know. It's amazing that you cant do that here without some immature jackass turning it into one these typical UG pointless arguments.

You told him to look into a useless and potentially dangerous treatment for an illness. That's as good as a recommendation. What you did was dangerous and someone had to point it out. Suck it up.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.

Last edited by Archeo Avis : 10-16-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #25
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeo Avis
That's exactly why it works, as evidenced by the fact that sham acupuncture shows just as much benefit.

You told him to look into a useless and potentially dangerous treatment for an illness. That's as good as a recommendation. What you did was dangerous and someone had to point it out. Suck it up.

^
there is no danger in making people aware of the various ways that people are finding relief from tendinitis. Your making a mountain out of a molehill.

if you read my post carefully ( and take the time to comprehend it) you'll see that the only thing I recommended ( notice the words " I recommend" are only used in this one instance) was: http://www.selfcare4rsi.com/
the only thing that's "as good as a recommendation" is an actual recommendation. making someone aware of something is not the same thing.

BTW arch, have you had any personal experience with tendinitis ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieJovie
Yup I've had it.

It seems to be under control at present.

Both hands.

Well I'm glad you have it under control.

A guy that I played in a band with has had carpal tunnel for about 10 years. Unfortunately it has only gotten worse, despite numerous treatments from doctors. I don't think that he's really given himself the rest that he needs though. What happens with a lot of people, is that they get the cortisone shot and start feeling better, then go right back to what they were doing and end up causing worse and more permanent damage.

another friend of mine with carpal tunnel has been going to massage therapy for the last few months and says he's "cured". He plays gigs all the time and just recorded a CD, and apparently is having no problems. it's nice to know that some people can recover and get back to doing what they love.

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 10-16-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #26
standupnfall
20yrs and still learning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERG93
I had tendinitis in my knee once. I don't know if it's any different in the wrist, but what I did was ace-wrap a ziploc bag of ice to my knee, with a rag between the bag and my knee. I know it would really get in the way when it's on your wrist, but keep it on there for a few hours.

Never Ice or heat anything for more than 10-20 min
Old 10-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #27
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd

Quote:
BTW arch, have you had any personal experience with tendinitis ?

Yes, though that has no bearing whatsoever on the efficacy of the treatment your suggesting.

Quote:
there is no danger in making people aware of the various ways that people are finding relief from tendinitis.

Bringing up treatments with no benefit whatsoever is dangerous, yes. All treatments have risks. The reason we use them is because the benefits often outweigh those risks. When a treatment, such as acupuncture, displays no benefit whatsoever, any degree of risk is completely unacceptable and dangerous. Would you support me if I "just made a cancer patient aware" of the fact some people claim to find relief from abandoning chemotherapy in favor of the ingestion of arsenic? Of course, I'd conveniently fail to mention that arsenic has no established benefit whatsoever, and that the dangers far outweigh any benefits. But it's ok, because mentioning a dangerous and useless treatment only in the context of the claimed benefits isn't a "recommendation".
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.

Last edited by Archeo Avis : 10-16-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #28
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
Yes, though that has no bearing whatsoever on the efficacy of the treatment your suggesting.

Bringing up treatments with no benefit whatsoever is dangerous, yes. All treatments have risks. The reason we use them is because the benefits often outweigh those risks. When a treatment, such as acupuncture, displays no benefit whatsoever, any degree of risk is completely unacceptable and dangerous.

Dude, get past the acupuncture thing. you make it sound like my whole post was an endorsement of acupuncture. It clearly was not, it was mentioned as one thing that people are using to find relief. I did not personally endorse it in any way. The point of my post was to make the TS aware that there are options, and that people are finding relief through a number of different methods.

if I had said, don't go see a doctor, go get acupuncture instead, then your response would be somewhat justified. Not your smartest remark though. If you actually gave some advice and explained from experience exactly why acupuncture won't work, and then explained clearly what would be better, I could deal with that. but you instead just gave smartest remarks, and then blew the whole thing out of proportion. I think you need to suck up to that.

BTW, how did you treat your tendinitis? I think that information would be a lot more helpful. why don't you share it with us?

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 10-16-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #29
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd

Quote:
Dude, get past the acupuncture thing. you make it sound like my whole post was an endorsement of acupuncture. It clearly was not, it was mentioned as one thing that people are using to find relief. I did not personally endorse it in any way.

I just pointed out that is was a completely useless treatment. You're the one who threw a bitch fit in response.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #30
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:

Bringing up treatments with no benefit whatsoever is dangerous, yes. All treatments have risks. The reason we use them is because the benefits often outweigh those risks. When a treatment, such as acupuncture, displays no benefit whatsoever, any degree of risk is completely unacceptable and dangerous.

Dude, get past the acupuncture thing. you make it sound like my whole post was an endorsement of acupuncture. It clearly was not, it was mentioned as one thing that people are using to find relief. I did not personally endorse it in any way. The point of my post was to make the TS aware that there are options, and that people are finding relief through a number of different methods.

Quote:
I just pointed out that is was a completely useless treatment. You're the one who threw a bitch fit in response.

You offered nothing but smart ass remarks, I wasn't about to put up with it. I respond respectfully to those that are respectful. I have a harder time with immaturity.

so again, how did you treat your tendinitis? how long did you have tendinitis for? do you still have it or are you fully recovered?

I think the TS would find these answers helpful.

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 10-16-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:59 PM   #31
Lumberjackted11

i got tendonitis in my left wrist once, but it was from curling too much. Luckily though, it didnt affect my guitar playing much.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:49 PM   #32
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd

You miss the point entirely, don't you? That doesn't surprise me. Someone asked for advice regarding an injury, and you pointed him towards a completely useless and potentially dangerous treatment. It doesn't matter that your entire God damned post wasn't an endorsement of the procedure, and it doesn't matter that you were only making a suggestion. All that matters is that you recommended a useless and dangerous treatment, and threw a bitch fit the second someone pointed out that it was useless and dangerous. You need to suck it up and take being corrected like a big boy, without throwing a tantrum. Only a complete moron would respond to my post as if it were some sort of personal attack. What you did was dangerous, and I was far more civil than I should have been when responding to it.

Last edited by Archeo Avis : 10-16-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #33
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

^
You are self-righteous, ignorant, and have added nothing to this thread other than starting an argument..

Seriously, cut it out.

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 10-16-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:06 PM   #34
TORSION
shnitzel bandit

woah..
bit of tension in the air in this thread..

thanks heaps for the answers guys, im tryin to get a doctors appointment but its pretty booked out atm..

i dont know if i will try accupuncture, but i think that is actually a really good suggestion, as i would never have thought of that.

i have been putting voltaren emulgel on my wrists a few times a day, and it seems to help with the pain a little.

im glad there is a few cases that people have said they have recovered, i really want to get past this and play again.

i have read cortisone injections can weaken the tendon.. that would affect the strength in my hand, or the ability to play wouldnt it?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:11 PM   #35
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORSION
woah..
bit of tension in the air in this thread..

thanks heaps for the answers guys, im tryin to get a doctors appointment but its pretty booked out atm..

i dont know if i will try accupuncture, but i think that is actually a really good suggestion, as i would never have thought of that.

i have been putting voltaren emulgel on my wrists a few times a day, and it seems to help with the pain a little.

im glad there is a few cases that people have said they have recovered, i really want to get past this and play again.

i have read cortisone injections can weaken the tendon.. that would affect the strength in my hand, or the ability to play wouldnt it?

Man this acupuncture thing is really being overblown. I was in no way suggesting that you go out and make an appointment for acupuncture. I was just trying to get the idea across that there are many different treatments for tendinitis. You're not limited to cortisone shots and surgery alone. Whatever your doctor suggests is what you should do of-course. I was just throwing out some ideas that I've become aware of through people that I know, and from my own personal research.

how far along is your tendinitis ? are you in constant pain, or is it more a low level burning sensation?

btw I've heard the same about cortisone injections weakening the tendons. a friend of mine with carpal tunnel had cortisone injections. He said that the pain went away for a few weeks, but then ended up coming back even worse. Keep in mind though, that he likely did not rest as he should have. We played digs three nights a week and he does a lot of work with his hands at his job. Had he rested and let his tendon heal during that time he likely would have had a better outcome.

Another friend of mine has been receiving massage therapy and is very happy with the outcome.

You definitely want to consult with a doctor before getting any kind of treatment. In the meantime rest as much as you can and as hard as it is, Hold off on any activity that could exacerbate the injury.

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 10-16-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:35 PM   #36
TORSION
shnitzel bandit

yea man i completely understand that u were just making a suggestion, that other guy has just taken it over the top.
i might look into it though.

uhm atm its just kinda sore if i move it the wrong way, or lift something.. i havent had any burning? typing is a little bit painful.. but i can just feel that something isnt right, if u know what i mean.

yea i would definately rest.
i figure that i may aswell not play for a few weeks, rather than the rest of my life if i damage the tendon really badly.. so yea i will definately rest it up.
i mean i cant exactly quit my job, but i can stop working out for a bit, and i havent played guitar for 4/5 weeks now, so i guess a few more wont hurt..
Old 10-16-2008, 11:10 PM   #37
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORSION
yea man i completely understand that u were just making a suggestion, that other guy has just taken it over the top.
i might look into it though.

uhm atm its just kinda sore if i move it the wrong way, or lift something.. i havent had any burning? typing is a little bit painful.. but i can just feel that something isnt right, if u know what i mean.

yea i would definately rest.
i figure that i may aswell not play for a few weeks, rather than the rest of my life if i damage the tendon really badly.. so yea i will definately rest it up.
i mean i cant exactly quit my job, but i can stop working out for a bit, and i havent played guitar for 4/5 weeks now, so i guess a few more wont hurt..

Yeah, there are some things you just can't give up ( like work), but if you take a break from the other stuff for a while, you'll likely be able to get back to them (though you may have to compromise a bit on how much and how often).

sounds like you're on the right track.

Good luck man, hope you have a full recovery!
Old 10-16-2008, 11:23 PM   #38
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

This is ridiculous. Archeo, please do not reply to the latest GM posts in any fashion, as it will no doubt continue this madness.

If either of you have need to continue, or if you take issue with my post, please take do it via PM, or I will simply use my moderater powers and delete the parts of your post which do not directly help the TS.

TS, the three things that led to me developing problems were not warming up, bad posture and too much tension in my left hand.

Hopefully, after you rest, all of those issues can be corrected between the "Read me" link in my sig and the 2 and you shouldn't develop it again. I've had no problems for the last 3 years thanks to correcting those problems and habits.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:25 AM   #39
TORSION
shnitzel bandit

ok ill have a read.. hopefully i can get rid of this for good. im going to the doctors tommorrow, so yea..

how do i properly warm up?

and yeh i think i do have bad posture when i play..
Old 10-20-2008, 07:34 AM   #40
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

^ a good way to warm up is to genuinely flap your arms around until they feel warm (playing guitar to warm up won't be as quick, I promise) - and the stretch them out using the stretches in JP's "Rock Discipline" - there's actually a site that gpb recommends that I've forgotten with some good stretches on it.

Rate This Thread: