Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #61
Nickie Vicious
Banned

I having reccuring tendonitis in my right wrist. It hurts a lot when I play heavily for more than fifteen minutes, so I always keep a wrsit brace handy (good times at the airport!). try keeping some near you. It takes a bit of getting used to, but its possible. when you\re working try ace bandages (or a wrist brace if you\re not worried about electrocution! I'm deathly paranoid about it.). I beleieve (I hasn't been to a doctor about it for years) its caused by the tendon contracting, and I was told surgery is possible to permanently correct it. Or a cast.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #62
DCobsession

MSM...(Methylsulfonylmethane) ...you have to take vitamin C with them. can get it at any health food/vitamin store.

Had "throw my arse down on the floor" pain in one of my shoulders (tendinitis) that some pretty hard pain killers wouldnt even help (neither would celebrex, or any other type of antiinflammatory med would fix). My dad gave me some MSM, and within a day, ALL pain was gone. couple of years later it came back (even worse), and the MSM knocked it out again...

not going to go into detail on what it is, or what it does...google it. Its good Sh*t
Old 11-15-2008, 02:29 AM   #63
TORSION
shnitzel bandit

yeh i thought maybe i should bandage them up, but i never really needed to, the pain is nearly gone i think.

so hopefully i can get back into playing in a few weeks
Old 11-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #64
DCobsession

Im tellin ya, this stuff will have you playing tomorrow...

only draw back was when the pain was severe, I took 5-6 of them (good sized capsules), along with 2 Vit C's. twice a day...a lot of pills to put in my stomache at one time, but it was WELL worth it.

now if I even think it is coming back, I take 2-3 of them with 1 vit C, twice, and it goes away.

dont know the severity of your pain, but mine was effin crippling...but that was long ago. sad thing is, I see/hear people talk about tendinitis pain, and I tell them, but they dont find the stuff...oh well, I tried to spread the word, their loss...
Old 11-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #65
bangoodcharlote
Fractal

Yeah, so my guess is that any med student or resident doesn't have time to post on the website, and you're not going to find any attendings on here. This is a medical issue; go see a physician.

"Melodic Control" by Marty Friedman: A video on soloing
A Great Theory Lesson

A Harmonizing Lesson
The Correct Way To Play The Gallop

~Sue
Old 11-17-2008, 08:07 PM   #66
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangoodcharlote
Yeah, so my guess is that any med student or resident doesn't have time to post on the website, and you're not going to find any attendings on here. This is a medical issue; go see a physician.

He already did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORSION
yeh i thought maybe i should bandage them up, but i never really needed to, the pain is nearly gone i think.

so hopefully i can get back into playing in a few weeks

Have you tried stretching at all ?

if not, I would highly recommend looking into this book:

Conquering carpal tunnel syndrome

Though the title says carpal tunnel syndrome, the stretches are effective for any type of tendinitis/ repetitive strain injury.

This book is very helpful as well: It's not carpal tunnel syndrome

It's Not Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is more informative, but does include exercises, and like Conquering Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, it is helpful for any form of tendinitis or repetitive strain injury.

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 11-17-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #67
bangoodcharlote
Fractal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMunky
He already did.
Then why is the TS asking us?

TS, I assure you that every doctor trained in America, Canada, Australia, or the UK is very good at what he does. Listen to him. Don't ask us. We're a bunch of premeds struggling through organic chemistry at best.

"Melodic Control" by Marty Friedman: A video on soloing
A Great Theory Lesson

A Harmonizing Lesson
The Correct Way To Play The Gallop

~Sue
Old 11-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #68
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangoodcharlote
Then why is the TS asking us?

TS, I assure you that every doctor trained in America, Canada, Australia, or the UK is very good at what he does. Listen to him. Don't ask us. We're a bunch of premeds struggling through organic chemistry at best.

If you read through the thread you'll see he went weeks ago.

post 41:

Quote:
well i went to the doctor today, and ive been given anti inflammatory tablets to take..
so the swelling should go down and stop hurting now..
i also showed the doctor a lump on my wrist which is fluid..

and that makes it worst coz there isnt enough room in my wrist..

i can get that drained out too if it doesnt go away with the tablets.. i think.

yea im gonna spend alot of time trying to get a better technique so i dont have this problem again.. by relaxing lol

While none of us are doctors, some of us just may have experience with tendonitis (not uncommon for musicians) and be able to offer worthwhile advice.

As far as every trained doctor being good at what they do. There are good & bad everything.... doctors included. I've found that people with RSI often go to many doctors (and spend lots of money) before finding any help. Unfortunate, but true.

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 11-17-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:59 PM   #69
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Indeedly. There are many tiny particular movements involving the hands and instrumental technique that you just can't expect a doctor to know about.

For example, how many doctors could help solve a problem caused by wrist tension when changing to a thumb position in double bass technique?

There is a wealth of information here for people who need to develop technique that is as physically gentle on their hands as possible.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:14 PM   #70
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd

Quote:
For example, how many doctors could help solve a problem caused by wrist tension when changing to a thumb position in double bass technique?

Double bass technique isn't a medical condition. Carpal tunnel syndrome is.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:19 PM   #71
Freepower

^ exactly. If you want to cure CTS, go to a doctor. If you want to cure an obscure musical cause of CTS, go to a good teacher and review your physical approach to the instrument.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #72
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

^
good point, it's important to focus on the cause of the injury.

People often get treated for their symptoms ( with painkillers, cortisone shots, or surgery) but not the causes. This is a real problem for people with repetitive strain injurys.

Many of the success stories I've read about often involve a doctor that is a musician and/or specializes in musician related injuries. Unfortunately those doctors are harder to find.

Also regarding technique on the guitar, while it certainly can be the cause and should be examined thoroughly, it's important to consider everything else in your life that may be contributing to the problem. ( I know you know that, I just wanted to add it because I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread).
Old 11-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #73
TORSION
shnitzel bandit

well i didnt think the doctor really knew what they were on about..
she told me not to stop guitar.. but not to play as much..

i thought with any injuries u had to stop completely..

i have stretching exercises and strengthening exercises from last time i went to the physio, but yea..
it came back..

thats why im looking for advice.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #74
Freepower

^ yeah, it'll come back until you tackle the cause - definately tension, maybe bad posture too.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:14 AM   #75
TORSION
shnitzel bandit

so am i basically gonna have to re learn picking and all that sorta stuff again, with no tension at all..

and bring it up to speed?

will this take a long time?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #76
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
so am i basically gonna have to re learn picking and all that sorta stuff again, with no tension at all..

Make sure you analyze what you're doing in all aspects of your life. Your guitar playing technique is likely not your only issue.

How often were you playing?
what other things do you do that might contribute (work, other hobbies.....)?
look at your posture in general (sitting, standing, at the computer)
look at your computers set up (is it ergonomic ??)
Do you have alot of stress in your life?

Lots of factors contribute to RSI. Playing guitar certainly can be one of them, but I wouldn't Isolate your attention to just that unless you're absolutely positive that it's the sole cause.

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 11-20-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #77
Freepower

^ +1

Quote:

Well, yes, but you won't regret it at all. Basically, what you'll have to do to avoid injury is what most people have to do to play faster and more accurately - so your guitar playing will feel better and be better too.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #78
TORSION
shnitzel bandit

i see..

well i work out.. that hasnt put too much pain on my wrists, until last night.. my wrist is a little sore today..
my karate doesnt really hurt them at all..
work does sometimes, but hasnt lately, thats why i felt like i was ready to start playing again..
i dont think im stressed?

yeh well if it means playing slow and building up just to get rid of this crap, then ill do it..
i just wanna play again!!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #79
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

^ they may or may not hurt during the activity, but all of the things you mentioned are likely contributors to your RSI. You may want to give up all but the necessary things (like work), for a while to give yourself a chance to heal. Then slowly integrate them back into your life.

I would highly recommend doing some real research on RSI.

It's not carpal tunnel syndrome is a good place to start.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #80
TORSION
shnitzel bandit

ok so i havent had any pain at all lately, just feels a bit uncomfortable every now and again
i played for about half an hour yesterday and today.

my wrist seems to have become a little bit painful again..

how do i go about fixing this??
im becoming desperate

i watched your lessons on posture, and correct practice FreePower, and i think im doing the posture stuff right, but i think i have alot of tension in my playing..
how do i remove it??

help!

Rate This Thread: