Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
hardrckr120

angled vs. straight cabs

i was just wondering what the differences between having a straight or having an angled 412 cab is tone wise. I have a 6505 into a straight cab and was curious about how a angled cab would affect tone.
hardrckr120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
prison sex

it doesnt, angled cabs are angled cos they go on top so its a lower centre of gravity
Harley Benton Cabnet
Blackstar Distx Valve Distortion
Boss DD3
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss Noise-Gate
A Member Of The Jackson Players Group
prison sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
vitchb
Registered abUser

There might be a bit of difference when standing up, because speakers will sound a little different when they are pointing towards your ears (top 2).
but for recording or whatnot, it wont sound any different....
vitchb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
AndyPandy
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by prison sex
it doesnt, angled cabs are angled cos they go on top so its a lower centre of gravity

nonsense. the angled cab was invented because manufacturers realised that pointing all the sound at the guitarists legs was useless; no-one has their ears down there! The purpose of angling the top 2 speakers was to allow the guitarist to hear his own amp without the need for additional monitors. it also helps to spread the sound out and make it sound "fuller"

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
AndyPandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
injected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy
nonsense. the angled cab was invented because manufacturers realised that pointing all the sound at the guitarists legs was useless; no-one has their ears down there! The purpose of angling the top 2 speakers was to allow the guitarist to hear his own amp without the need for additional monitors. it also helps to spread the sound out and make it sound "fuller"

Wrong. The angled cabs speakers are pointing in the exact same direction as the straight cabs, they arent vented up or anything! Angled cabs were made so in full-stack situations, the top cab would be angled to compliment the head.

Sound wise, straight cabs will sound fuller. The angled cabs deduct from the fullness, though not by much, straight is preferred in professional situations. I think Mike Soldano or some other famous amp maker gave a low down on this but i dont remember who it was.
injected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
kayman121
tone freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by injected
Wrong. The angled cabs speakers are pointing in the exact same direction as the straight cabs, they arent vented up or anything! Angled cabs were made so in full-stack situations, the top cab would be angled to compliment the head.

Sound wise, straight cabs will sound fuller. The angled cabs deduct from the fullness, though not by much, straight is preferred in professional situations. I think Mike Soldano or some other famous amp maker gave a low down on this but i dont remember who it was.

Are you trying to say that the top 2 speakers in a slant are pointed at the exact same angle as the top 2 speakers in a straight...????

Also, straight cabs only sound fuller because less high frequencies are reaching your ears depending on where you are standing from the front of the cab. I challenge anyone to blind test a straight vs slant standing from the side or behind, or at least not directly in front of the amp.
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
kayman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #7
Bloodshed
UG's Delay Wh0re

Straight cabs definitely have tighter bass response as they are more directional. I havent seen a straight cab with the top speakers angled, and I've owned several cabs

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Bloodshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
GoDrex
You Are What You Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by injected
The angled cabs speakers are pointing in the exact same direction as the straight cabs, they arent vented up or anything!

This is wrong.
GoDrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

My 1960B has it's speakers angled upwards.

Jim Marshall said that he made the 1960a slant cab for nothing other than aesthetics. Straight cabs are almost always preferred tonewise
al112987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
kayman121
tone freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshed
Straight cabs definitely have tighter bass response as they are more directional. I havent seen a straight cab with the top speakers angled, and I've owned several cabs

Personally, I don't see it as the cab/speakers themselves actually generating a tighter bass response. I feel people perceive it differently based on the relationship b/w the angle of the speakers relative to our ears, thus having an effect on the frequencies reaching/not reaching us. IMO there is no difference from many angles.

I may be wrong...
BKP Warpig pickups
Old 10-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #11
Bloodshed
UG's Delay Wh0re

^ this is true...and honestly, when miced up it makes zero difference.

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Bloodshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:15 AM   #12
hardrckr120

mic'd up I did not think it made any difference, I can see how and angled cab could make a difference up close, but the advantage going to the straight with very directional sound and some tighter response due to a little more cabinet volume
hardrckr120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:16 AM   #13
kayman121
tone freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrckr120
mic'd up I did not think it made any difference, I can see how and angled cab could make a difference up close, but the advantage going to the straight with very directional sound and some tighter response due to a little more cabinet volume

pretty sure that is a misconception...where'd you hear that?
BKP Warpig pickups
Old 10-26-2008, 01:14 AM   #14
BHowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrckr120

This is debatable. The amount of cabinet size lacking in an angled cab is negligible, and few cabs (and no Marshall ones) are designed with ports behind the speaker to mitigate where the energy from the speaker "pushing back" before it "pushes forward", when it actually puts out the sound of the guitar, dissipates to.

What this means is that the energy created and put inside the cab is not dissipated with insulation or porting, because there's not enough room inside the cab to do that with 4 12 inch speakers. The cab is too "small" in acoustic terms. Also, a guitar speaker (as opposed to a stereo speaker) is designed with this in mind. It's meant to work well in a confined space like that, so the amount of "loss" you might find in response and bass should be minor at best, and realistically, virtually nonexistent, considering the frequency range of a guitar and what the cab/speaker is thereby designed to put out.

Another way to look at this is that Marshall does not put speakers in the top of an angled cab that are different from the ones in the bottom--they are all the same make and model, and have the same specs. I know of no company that voices a slant cab in such a manner. If making a slant cab caused a drop in frequency range somehow, I'm sure they would voice the top and bottom speakers a bit differently to overcome that, or push for everyone buying half-stacks to get a bottom before a top. (That obviously is not happening.)

The obvious reality is, like stated, that Jim Marshall slanted the cab to make it look "complete" as the top of a stack, and the angle of the speakers aimed up has a different "sweet spot", so your ears think you are losing bass when it's just because the sound is going at your head, not your back. You can try this for yourself--stand a few feet off axis of any cab and play a few notes, then play them again standing in front of them. You should note a big difference in the amount of bass in the tone.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:37 AM   #15
Washburnd Fretz

I Like straight cabs. You dont have 100 watts being thrown into your face.
It also seems that a slant cab on top of a straight cab would create a better
range of sound.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:40 AM   #16
kaiser_bill
Banned

reported, no vs threads allowed
kaiser_bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:57 AM   #17
Washburnd Fretz

This is a valid thread. Stop being a snitch!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:10 AM   #18
4regt4

Depending on the brand, angled vs. straight can mean different things as some makers have angled speaker baffles in straight cabs, but without going into all the different kinds, a standard scenario is that an angled cab has the top two speakers angled upward and a straight cab has all the speakers pointing straight forward (a straight cab also has a larger volume and slightly deeper bass). An angled cab on floor level will point the speakers towards a guitarists ears, and this can be bad for those that wish to maintain their hearing, but also gives the guitarist a better idea of what is actually coming out of the speaker. An angled cab also disperses sound differently and gives a wider soundstage--this will also change how the sound reacts in a room and could alter certain cancellations and such in a room that is not ideal for proper sound production (particularly in a mic'd recording situation).
4regt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:33 AM   #19
vitchb
Registered abUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser_bill

What..? Why.... i swear we cant ask anything on here anymore...
vitchb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:48 AM   #20
Diamond Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser_bill

even thought he put vs in the title this isnt the usual "pick one" scenario, this is a discussion about the differences between them.

Kasabian - Fire fan video/uni work. Watch it!

Jackson Dinky with TB-11 + SH-1 Pickups & Gotoh Floyd Rose
Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12
Diamond Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: