Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-02-2008, 09:33 AM   #21
LeftyDave
It's time for a change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynd_snyper
Cheers, I'll keep an eye out for a humidifier. Do electrics need humidifiers as well?

They're made of wood right? And what else besides wood floats? "A duck"!
Wait, that's not right....had a flashback there for a sec...lol
Yes, electrics MIGHT need some humidity treatments during the winter months. I know first hand that my SG's neck is highly prone to changes in humidity, so I try to keep the whole house at 50%. It's healtier for the axes that way, plus I can leave them out of their cases and not worry so much about them.
LeftyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #22
captivate
d[-.-]b Asian Audiophile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackolas
I asked about one of these (here in the UK) in a decent guitar shop in town and they told me I wouldn't need one for sure basically straight away? My taylor is a 314-ce, in a proper hardcase about 4 or 5 metres away from the radiator.

I've only had it a short time (picked it up 2nd hand for 200!) and it was living by the radiator with no case the whole time...

The UK is much more humid. It's pretty much a BIG island surrounded by water, haha. You should consider getting one, still. But humidity won't be as big of an issue for you than me in Toronto.
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
captivate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #23
Baby Joel
nah that's not me

Since I'm stupid,
I've got a guitar with solid back and top, but mahogany ply for the sides. Still need a humidifier?
Also, I live in London, where it rains every day. Still need a humidifier?

I just don't want to break my guitar.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #24
Silverstein14
Call me Keenan!

The owner of a local music shop here said for a makeshift humidifyer you can take a sponge or cloth and soak it in water, ring it out so its just damp, put it in a ziplock baggy and close it but leave it open a bit. The water evaporates and works. He says it usually gets up to 50%. Pretty cool
Silverstein14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #25
captivate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Joel
Since I'm stupid,
I've got a guitar with solid back and top, but mahogany ply for the sides. Still need a humidifier?
Also, I live in London, where it rains every day. Still need a humidifier?

I just don't want to break my guitar.

If you turn on your heater when it gets cold, then yes.

Any guitar with solid wood will usually need a humidifier.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #26
st.stephen
has a job

Anyone from Canada (I'm on Vancouver Island, very temperate and regular 5-20 degree weather) know where I could pick some humidifiers up?
st.stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:02 AM   #27
captivate

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.stephen
Anyone from Canada (I'm on Vancouver Island, very temperate and regular 5-20 degree weather) know where I could pick some humidifiers up?

Any shop that sells acoustic guitars should have some humidifiers. Long & McQuade will have them. I'm not sure if there's a L&M on Vancouver Island though, but yea...

Old 11-03-2008, 01:36 AM   #28
michaelscofield
Jimi Ray Clapton

This is something I've worried about, great thread. My acoustic (http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=2003&sid=524) is usually kept on a 3-way stand along w/my electric, and we have the heat on moderately in the winter. I have a soundhole humidifier similar to the Planet Waves one and I put water from a water filter into it, and I have noticed some little mold growing I thought our fridge's water filter was enough

What would you recommend: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navi...=humidifier&st= Oh and my acoustic has a gig bag :/
michaelscofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:54 AM   #29
LeftyDave
It's time for a change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscofield
This is something I've worried about, great thread. My acoustic (http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=2003&sid=524) is usually kept on a 3-way stand along w/my electric, and we have the heat on moderately in the winter. I have a soundhole humidifier similar to the Planet Waves one and I put water from a water filter into it, and I have noticed some little mold growing I thought our fridge's water filter was enough

What would you recommend: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navi...=humidifier&st= Oh and my acoustic has a gig bag :/

Yea, I had the same thing happen to mine. I couldn't be bothered to keep buying distilled water a couple winters ago, so used tap water in it's place. Not too long after mold started growing out of the little holes of the humidifier. Case in point, it's just gotta be distilled. There's no minerals, bacteria, metals and so on to get in there to start growing in the first place. I'm not saying that it can't pick it up from the air, but it sure will be lessened by using distilled water.
As for the gig bag, your sorta fubar there. For humidifiers to work well, you pretty much need a hard case, but it's better than nothing. Or just do what I do and humidify the whole house. Your sinuses will benefit as well as your guitars. Oh, I live in Minnesota BTW, so our winters get pretty harsh and dry.
LeftyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #30
captivate

Quote:

Is the little sponge removable? If it is, take it out and soak it in some bleach to clean the mold off. Clean the other part of the humidifier as well.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #31
michaelscofield
Jimi Ray Clapton

Don't think it's removable, I will check when I get home.

I usually leave my acoustic on the stand w/humidifier in the sound hole, is that not enough? Hate to have to shell out for a hard case, unless it's the only route
Old 11-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #32
captivate

Quote:
Don't think it's removable, I will check when I get home.

I usually leave my acoustic on the stand w/humidifier in the sound hole, is that not enough? Hate to have to shell out for a hard case, unless it's the only route

You're going to need a hard case in order for it to be useful. The water would just go into the environment otherwise.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #33
michaelscofield
Jimi Ray Clapton

Damn, well which case would you recommend? I'll swing by L&M's some time this week and get one. Preferrably a pretty inexpensive one if possible lol.

Why is a gig bag insufficient?

Oh also, just to get an idea of timing here, what's a generally okay amount of time to leave the acoustic on the stand if I'm playing it at random points of the day, and how long is maybe "too long" and I should put it in the case? (I do put it in the gig bag overnight always).
Old 11-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #34
captivate

Any hard shell case that fits your guitar will be fine.

A gig bag isn't sufficient because moisture can pass right through cloth without any problems. A hard case, on the other hand, is an enclosed space where it is much harder for moisture to get out.

As for leaving your guitar out... I leave mine out on the stand for a day or two sometimes. As long as moisture level is kept right most of the time, i'll be fine.

Just as a side note to anyone... like Silverstein14 said, if you don't want to buy a humidifier then get a zip lock bag and poke some holes in it and then just stick a damp sponge inside(make sure you ring out as much water as possible). It should keep the humidity at about the right level. You will probably need to re-wet it more often than a humidifier, but it should be sufficient.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #35
Natrone
UG's Festive Brad Paisley

Hey, right now I have no need for a humidifyer, but I wanted some info for future reference. How would I go about just humidifying my bedroom? Once my room is repainted I plan on hanging all of my guitars on one of the walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Natrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #36
captivate

I'm actually not too sure. You can buy the room humidifiers, but the amount of water vapour coming out of those is a lot more than any case humidifier. I'm also not sure that those would be appropriate to use. You'll definitely need to buy a hygrometer though.

Also, on the subject of hanging guitars on walls... There's another risk that comes with hanging guitars on walls. If it gets cold and your guitar's back touches the wall, you could be in trouble. The temperature of the air hitting the face of the guitar will be warmer than the wall, which will tend to retain a colder temperature. This can cause cracks because of the temperature difference from either side. That's one thing to watch out for.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #37
lbj273
UG God

I keep my acoustic hanging on the wall in my room, will it be ok? also would it be bad to keep my electric on its stand near the heat vent? i live in minnesota if thats any help
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}

lbj273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:31 AM   #38
captivate

If your guitar is solid wood then take it down and put it in its case for the winter. It would also be better to keep your electric guitar away from the vents. Even an electric guitar can go wonky if it's too close to a heat vent.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #39
BloodMoon666
Inabandsinging

So let me get this straight...

Quote:
# Stagg Music SW-201 BLS Steel String Acoustic Guitar - These guitars have steel strings, which provide a thick, rich, vibration-y Sound and are very popular in pop and blues music. Beginners are sometimes warned that Steel Strings are more difficult to play because they can hurt your fingers. That's just a temporary point. If you like that folksy sound, the steel string acoustic guitar is for you. Full Black Finish
# All wood construction for full sound
# Chrome Covered Tuning Gears
# Solid Maple Fingerboard and Bridge
# Metal strap button and protective pick-guard
# Stagg Lifetime Warranty

I need to put a humidifier INTO my soft guitar case BECAUSE it wouldn't get too hot and dry(and/or cold and moist)?

I'm a 99% noob in guitar accessories and welfare management, so sorry in advance.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

BloodMoon666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #40
captivate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodMoon666
So let me get this straight...

I need to put a humidifier INTO my soft guitar case BECAUSE it wouldn't get too hot and dry(and/or cold and moist)?

I'm a 99% noob in guitar accessories and welfare management, so sorry in advance.

You won't need one because your guitar isn't made of solid wood.

How do you know if a guitar is made of solid wood? The specs will always say "solid" somewhere in there.

If you had a solid wood guitar, you would need a hard case because any water vapour that the humidifier would release would just equalize with the dry air outside. Soft cases aren't enclosed environments, unlike hard cases.

Rate This Thread: