Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Music Theory Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #21
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

^ please feel free to PM me when these threads leave the first page and I'll make links to them in the FAQ.

ED:

And btw, seen your youtube stuff, very nice chops and decent phrasing too. If you could tighten the screws on the slop a little that'd be some scary stuff.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #22
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
^ please feel free to PM me when these threads leave the first page and I'll make links to them in the FAQ.

Ah okay I will. I'm still cleaning the original post up a bit, cause I tend to use "street" language alot. But I live in a "rowdy" neighbourhood in Amsterdam, and I grew up with that languagestyle. But i'm getting better with my grammar & spelling

Edit:

Thanks for comments. I know i'm sloppy in some places. I been playing guitar for only 3 years, and what I what I wanna do musically is way further then my psyichal ability (i feel crippled sometimes). But I learn alot around here

It's weird it seems the faster stuff is more in time then the slower stuff.

EDIT2: IT does seem I got sloppier since my band broke up. Miss my Drummer

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 11-15-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #23
metal4all
Always tripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdarrenxx
To user post above. Have u read entire lesson?

What u typed is already in the first post. Check Dorian of my first post. The minor 6th interval, how to use the characteristic mode notes in modal chord progressions, slash chord usage. It's all there

U only typed another example which is good. I just gave the basics *what tonic chord to use and how to think.

I didn't make slash chord progressions for every mode. I tried to be a lil different to show more musical possibilities.

There are endless possibilities. My lesson is the very basic, and I trust in that once you learned the basic stuff you can keep experimenting with it to come up with own creative modal ideas.
I read the entire thing. I just thought it was harder to understand. I had a little trouble following what you were saying even though I know how to do this. I was hoping my post could help contribute to the thread for which it's purpose is to help people understand modes, not insult you. Sorry if you thought I was trying to hijack it or some shit.

-Max Planck
☮∞☯♥
Old 11-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #24
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4all
I read the entire thing. I just thought it was harder to understand. I had a little trouble following what you were saying even though I know how to do this. I was hoping my post could help contribute to the thread for which it's purpose is to help people understand modes, not insult you. Sorry if you thought I was trying to hijack it or some shit.

Oh no not at all. I'm learning proper grammar and spelling. And I'm still fixing it up a bit.

(most intelligent)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[/SIZE][/B]
Old 11-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #25
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Yeah, I'll touch it up when it "goes to print" in the FAQ.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #26
6_months_N

Great Lesson!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:01 PM   #27
demonofthenight
UG Spammer

^You bumped to say that?

Whatever, it deserves a bump. Bupmity bump darren.

Seeing as FP's on holidays, could psych or danny make sure that there's a link to this in the sticky? I don't think there is.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #28
MOOSE_CCR99
MOOSE

Awsome lesson, Ive been looking everywhere to find the relationships between modes and chords (if that makes sense) and this lesson explained it very nicely. Im finallly getting a recorder for xmas so Ill be able to further explore how different notes & modes sound over chords but this lesson was a great starting point.
ps. nice playing too!

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Old 12-28-2008, 11:12 PM   #29
CHOCOmoney
is super asian

The only thing about modes that confuses me is why people are confused by them. I take weekly lessons, and maybe its the personal contact, but i nailed it 4 lessons. so could some one explain what is so frightening about modes?
Old 12-29-2008, 03:46 AM   #30
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOCOmoney
The only thing about modes that confuses me is why people are confused by them. I take weekly lessons, and maybe its the personal contact, but i nailed it 4 lessons. so could some one explain what is so frightening about modes?

Some people Can lay the link easier between sound - theory. It's based on how fast u learn and how deep u relate to music. If you heard alot of lydian songs in ur life, then there's a big chance that you understand lydian as easy as the major scale.

When I learned them I found Mixolydian, Lydian and Phrygian very easy (as well as Ionian and Aeolian). Dorian was a bit harder to "hear", but came quite fast as well. Locrian is just an odd one, but I understand it's other uses.

Also if I teach this in person, I can let other people play improvisation's and give a real-life steering on what or what not to play. If you understand how they sound then it comes like 10 times as easy.

(most intelligent)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 12-29-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:48 AM   #31
deleriumtrigger

I just don't understand modes. If you know the major or minor scale in the key of ___ up and down the fretboard you shouldn't need modes. Someone explain.
Tradition Strat
Crafter Acoustic

Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 DL4
Dano Fish 'n Chips
MXR Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MD-2 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
Old 12-31-2008, 06:30 AM   #32
Helpy Helperton

^ you'll need to read up on the major scale, and really have a thorough read of what darren has written here in his first few posts. Modes are not limited to major and minor, there are 7 modes each with an idividual sound. Some modes are minor in quality some are major in quality (in that they have some shared intervals with their Major and minor scale cousins), playing them in certain contexts give you a different sound other than straight major or minor.

Darren, great work. I've understood modes for a while now and have been slowly working on using them in a practical way (thanks to another of your posts). I think people can grasp the concept of modes but just not how they are supposed to be used and I think this thread will help a lot, shame i've only spotted it now when I could have been reading through like a month ago

Last edited by Helpy Helperton : 12-31-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:52 AM   #33
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpy Helperton
^ you'll need to read up on the major scale, and really have a thorough read of what darren has written here in his first few posts. Modes are not limited to major and minor, there are 7 modes each with an idividual sound. Some modes are minor in quality some are major in quality (in that they have some shared intervals with their Major and minor scale cousins), playing them in certain contexts give you a different sound other than straight major or minor.

Darren, great work. I've understood modes for a while now and have been slowly working on using them in a practical way (thanks to another of your posts). I think people can grasp the concept of modes but just not how they are supposed to be used and I think this thread will help a lot, shame i've only spotted it now when I could have been reading through like a month ago

LOl ye thnx, I figured because of like the average 7 mode threads a week.

I was lucky that my first love for music was game music, which really helped my ear for harmony development (A use where midi is good, cause everything gets from 1 sound and if ur ear is not very developed you can hear the difference between "midi pieces" better as opposed to sloppy/over-distorted/fx-infused guitarsounds )

Through that I have a natural affection with the sounds of modes and I don't know why people think about scales like alot of people do, but I always found it logical that it doesn't matter which notes u use but how u use them. Just like a painting; 1000's of painting using the same red, but all different objects/people etc.

I really don't understand why people think Scale = solo

^^to deleriumtrigger;

Read my lesson? I explain which notes make the modes, and what makes them different from each other.

If all my examples "sound the same (Scale) to you", then you haven't developed ur ear yet, which is no problem. Let it rest for a while and come back when your ear is developed more.

All my examples use notes from a major scale, no other notes added. But they don't sound all major do they? That's what modes are.

Modes are more a category of interval to root relations (Every scale is actually like this, but major/minor/pentatonic scales are in general explained in a "vague" or somewhat misleading/incomplete fashion)

(most intelligent)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 12-31-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:30 PM   #34
deleriumtrigger

But if you run a mode up and down the fretboard, it will sound the same as a major scale. A mode is the major scale with a different tonal center. How do they not run into each other and sound like a dorian phrase?
Tradition Strat
Crafter Acoustic

Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 DL4
Dano Fish 'n Chips
MXR Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MD-2 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
Old 12-31-2008, 09:58 PM   #35
werty22
Banned

Isn't "So What" a vamp over a min7add11 chord? Forgive me if I'm wrong, I've only heard the tune a couple of times.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:53 PM   #36
deleriumtrigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleriumtrigger
But if you run a mode up and down the fretboard, it will sound the same as a major scale. A mode is the major scale with a different tonal center. How do they not run into each other and sound like a dorian phrase?

Am I doing something wrong? When I am trying to use a mode, say dorian in C, I should start on D correct?

I guess, what I am trying to ask is how do I make sure something sounds modal and doesn't just contain all notes of the key?
Tradition Strat
Crafter Acoustic

Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 DL4
Dano Fish 'n Chips
MXR Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MD-2 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
Old 01-01-2009, 12:58 AM   #37
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd

Quote:
Am I doing something wrong? When I am trying to use a mode, say dorian in C, I should start on D correct?

It doesn't matter what note you start on.
"Dorian in C" has a tonal center of C.

Quote:
I just don't understand modes. If you know the major or minor scale in the key of ___ up and down the fretboard you shouldn't need modes. Someone explain.

Modes have absolutely nothing to do with being able to play the entire length of the fretboard.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.

Last edited by Archeo Avis : 01-01-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:21 AM   #38
deleriumtrigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeo Avis
It doesn't matter what note you start on.
"Dorian in C" has a tonal center of C.

Modes have absolutely nothing to do with being able to play the entire length of the fretboard.

But when I am in the key of C and I want to play something in dorian shouldn't I start on ii, which is D?
Tradition Strat
Crafter Acoustic

Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 DL4
Dano Fish 'n Chips
MXR Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MD-2 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
Old 01-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #39
demonofthenight
UG Spammer

Quote:
But when I am in the key of C and I want to play something in dorian shouldn't I start on ii, which is D?
Out of curiosity, how do you expect to use modes? I think something might be wrong with your application of modes.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #40
michal23
=D

Hey, quick question guys. Which chords in a lydian mode help to resolve back to the tonic? I'm having quite a hard time finding some :/

Rate This Thread: