Rock music has had plenty of major hits over modern history, and a good set of artists have made their mark on culture with albums that sold millions of copies.
Even pop can generate music with integrity and talent - after all, The Beatles
were huge influences in both rock and pop, and artists like Michael Jackson
will always be remembered for their work.
But sadly, the world is not a fair place. Buzz Feed
collected some truly disappointing facts about popular music, which we've shared below.
Make sure you're sitting down, because your indignation is about to shoot through the roof. Are you ready?
01. Creed has sold more records in the US than Jimi Hendrix
remains one of the most influential guitarists of all time, but he's no match for Creed
's 28 million US record sales. Maybe all that crazy panning on Hendrix albums is too much for some people. And sorry to the UG reading Creed fans, but Hendrix really deserves better.
02. Led Zeppelin, REM, and Depeche Mode have never had a number one single, Rihanna has 10
If the world were a perfect place, the great songwriters would sit atop the charts. Instead, Rihanna
probably sells an extra 10k units every time she pulls another creepy back-bending pose. Seriously, are her arms fitted backwards?
03. Ke$ha's "Tik-Tok" sold more copies than ANY Beatles single
's debut single broke the record for the biggest single-week sales of all time for a female artist, selling 610,000 digital downloads in one week. John Lennon
and George Harrison
turned in their graves at 45rpm.
04. Flo Rida's "Low" has sold 8 million copies the same as The Beatles' "Hey Jude"
How can the lyrics "She hit da flo', next thing you know, shawty got low low low low
" be as good as the wordless singalong ending on "Hey Jude
"? Answer: they aren't as good - the world is simply unjust.
05. The Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feeling" is more popular than any Elvis or Simon & Garfunkel song
At least Garfunkel
can rest easy, knowing that his name doesn't seem quite as silly next to Will.I.Am
Seriously, that's what two people from the Black Eyed Peas
have named themselves.
06. Celine Dion's "Falling Into You" sold more copies than any Queen, Nirvana, or Bruce Springsteen record
The same applies to Shania Twain
's "Come On Over
", proving that there's big money in making boring music. Hey, why did Celine Dion
cross the road? To get to the middle.
07. Katy Perry holds the same record as Michael Jackson for most number one singles from an album
Both artists had five number one singles from one album, but only one artist could moonwalk. And since moonwalks trump dressing up like bubblegum, MJ
08. Barbra Streisand has sold more records (140 million) than Pearl Jam, Johnny Cash, and Tom Petty combined
140 million? Are you kidding? Is Barbra Streisand
responsible for global warming, with all that CD production? Maybe Streisan's real job is to help pad out the gaps on shelves between Celine Dion
and Shania Twain
09. The cast of "Glee" has had more songs chart than The Beatles
But The Beatles
don't care, because they didn't need to resort to extreme social engineering and produce advertisements that last a full hour every week. And wrote their own songs. In fact, The Beatles pretty much invented the concept of artists writing their own songs.
10. This guy exists.
No comment. Though on a side note, can you believe cardigans came back into fashion?
Well, that was upsetting. Join us in mourning and post your disappointment in the comments.