is officially one of the most loved people in rock n' roll.
So when he offered fans the chance to ask him anything on Reddit
, thousands queued up for a chance to pop a question at the Foo Fighters
As you might expect, his answers were hilarious and insightful. We've been through the original Reddit thread
to collect the best bits, which you can read below.
First, here's some news-worthy tidbits on what we've learned about Mr. Grohl from the Q&A:
- He won't be touring with Queens Of The Stone Age
, despite recording drums for their long-awaited new album
- His all-time hero is Fugazi
frontman Ian MacKaye
, who was a huge influence on the Washington DC hardcore punk scene where Dave grew up
- He has no plans to revive his heavy metal Probot
, but it may come back in the future
- Out of all the instruments he plays, drums remain his favorite
- He sometimes uses a click track to record drums, but it depends on the producer
Now for the best bits of Dave Grohl's first ever Reddit AMA session! (Note: original spelling is intact.)
If you were president what are the first 3 things you'd do?
- change the way people decide who is president.
What was your experience like playing Satan in Pick of Destiny?
- It was easy. All I had to do was take of my Dave Grohl mask.
Who was your hero?
- i think my biggest musical hero growing up was probably Ian MacKaye he set a great example for all of us local musicians. still to this day i see him as the best example of a right-on musician.
Dave, how unreal was it to jam with Paul [McCartney] the first time?
- The first time I jammed with Paul was at a stadium in Liverpool, I played Back in the USSR, Band on the Run, and I Saw Her Standing There and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life.
You are known as the nicest man in rock. If you could pass that title onto anyone else, who would you choose?
- F--k you.
What has been your best experience whilst making the movie?
- Getting accepted into the Sundance Film Festival. That was huge.
Fan: Will you acknowledge my existence?
Fan: BEST PERIOD OF MY LIFE!
What would you say about artists who record at home on their laptops due to funds?
- There's nothing wrong with digital recording - just make sure it sounds like YOU.
How do you stay so humble, being that you are like the biggest rock star?
- How do I stay humble? Because I'm the best at being humble.
Which one of your songs means the most to you and why?
- Probably "Walk" - which i wrote for my daughter as I was teaching her to walk.
Do you think "Grunge" will ever make a comeback?
- If you mean loud ass guitars, loud ass drums, and screaming ass vocals? That never went away ding dong.
What was it like working with Killing Joke in 2003, and is Jaz Coleman really as crazy as people and the media make him out to be?
- That was an incredible experience, they have always been one of my favorite bands of all time Jaz isn't crazy... he's just 1000 times smarter than anyone else.
From the first day of Foo Fighters you've been using Gibson, why? [Were you] differentiating yourself from the early "grunge" scene which had many Fender players?
- Nope, I just loooove Gibsons.
What's your opinion on most thrash/death metal?
- Most of it rules but I'm not as well versed in thrash as I used to be.
What would you ask Dave Grohl if you could ask him anything? Post your questions in the comments below, and if we ever get a chance, we'll pose them to him.