Motorhead was joined by Biff Byford from Saxon on "Starstruck," a cover of the classic Rainbow song which is featured on the Ronnie James Dio tribute album "This Is Your Life." You can now stream the track below (via Blabbermouth).
"This Is Your Life" will be available from Rhino on April 1. A digital version will also be available.
Although the songs featured on the album touch on the different eras of Dio's career, several spotlight his time with Rainbow, including Metallica's epic, nine-minute "Ronnie Rising Medley", which combines the Rainbow songs "A Light In the Black," "Tarot Woman," "Stargazer" and "Kill the King." Scorpions add a scorching take on "Temple of the King" while Rob Halford teams with frequent Dio collaborators Vinny Appice, Doug Aldrich, Jeff Pilson, and Scott Warren for "Man on the Silver Mountain." The final lineup of Dio's solo band - Simon Wright, Craig Goldy, Rudy Sarzo and Scott Warren - are joined by Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple, Black Sabbath) for "Catch the Rainbow," a track from Rainbow's 1975 debut.
Anthrax and Adrenaline Mob honor Dio's memorable stint with Black Sabbath with their takes on "Neon Knights" and "The Mob Rules" respectively, as does a group, led by Oni Logan on vocals along with Jimmy Bain, Rowan Robertson and Brian Tichy, which performs "I" from "Dehumanizer."
"This Is Your Life" also includes songs from Dio's back-to-back platinum albums "Holy Diver" (1983) and "The Last in Line" (1984), with Doro's take on "Egypt (the Chains Are on)," Halestorm tackling "Straight Through the Heart," Corey Taylor (Stone Sour, Slipknot) covering the classic "Rainbow in the Dark" and Tenacious D putting their signature spin on "The Last in Line." Killswitch Engage's cover of "Holy Diver," a hit in its own right when released in 2006, is also included here.
Fittingly, Ronnie James Dio provides the finale (and the album's title) with his moving performance of "This Is Your Life." Originally released on "Angry Machines" (1996), the song's lyrics explore mortality and are backed by a stark and beautiful arrangement that features Dio accompanied only by his longtime keyboardist Scott Warren on piano. The song serves as a poignant reminder that we will never hear a voice like Dio's again.
"I'm letting them pick what songs they wanna do in the way they wanna do it," singer's wife Wendy told Artisan News in 2011.
"We reached out to Wendy Dio about wanting to be a part of the Dio tribute that's getting put together," Metallica singer James Hetfield told UK's Metal Hammer magazine. "We're very honored to be a part of that, and to be a part of a celebration of Ronnie's life and his great contribution, man."
In an interview with Guitar International, former Anthrax guitarist Rob Caggiano stated that the band's cover version of "Neon Knights" "came out pretty smoking."
"This Is Your Life" track listing:
01. "Neon Knights" - Anthrax
02. "The Last in Line" - Tenacious D
03. "The Mob Rules" - Adrenaline Mob
04. "Rainbow in the Dark" - Corey Taylor, Roy Mayorga, Satchel, Christian Martucci, Jason Christopher
05. "Straight Through the Heart" - Halestorm
06. "Starstruck" - Motorhead with Biff Byford
07. "Temple of the King" - Scorpions
08. "Egypt (the Chains Are on)" - Doro
09. "Holy Diver" - Killswitch Engage
10. "Catch the Rainbow" - Glenn Hughes, Simon Wright, Craig Goldy, Rudy Sarzo, Scott Warren
11. "I" - Oni Logan, Jimmy Bain, Rowan Robertson, Brian Tichy
12. "Man on the Silver Mountain" - Rob Halford, Vinny Appice, Doug Aldrich, Jeff Pilson, Scott Warren
13. "Ronnie Rising Medley" (featuring "A Light In The Black", "Tarot Woman", "Stargazer", "Kill The King") - Metallica
14. "This Is Your Life" - Dio