Lollapalooza is known for wild antics and great music. But you know what's even better? When you add them together, then multiply with a little 'WTF' for good measure.
Billboard recently compiled their favorite Lollapalooza 'WTF?!' moments ahead of the event this weekend where it comes of age with its 21st outing.
5. Naked Rage Against The Machine
The political rockers were furious when Al Gore's wife Tipper was going to lead a charge from the PMRC to add a 'Parental Advisory' sticker to explicit albums and singles in 1993. In hindsight the sticker seems quite reasonable, but RATM hate censorship of any kind and decided to use their Lollapalooza set to protest instead of perform.
4. Courtney Love Sings For Kurt
Nirvana cancelled their headline Lollapalooza set on April 7, 1994. One day later, Kurt Cobain's body was found in Seattle. Later on the Lollapalooza tour, his wife took to the stage during Smashing Pumpkins' set to sing two songs for her deceased husband, switching out lyrics and asking for a moment's silence at the 6min mark. It would be a heart-warming moment if you could get past the cliched 90s-style performance.
3. Lady Gaga Dives Into Crowd Almost Naked
Before she hit the big time as a mainstream popstar, Lady Gaga made Semi-Precious Weapons' 2007 set one of the most talked-about moments all weekend when she dived into the crowed wearing almost nothing. Look at that dude's face when she lands on him. Classic!
2. Nine Inch Nails Trash Stage
When Trent Reznor faced electrical problems during his 1991 set, he did what any self-respecting rock star would do: trash the sh-t out of everything.
1. Rock Stars Drink Puke'WTF?!' indeed. In 1992, artists from the main stage including Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder, Soundgarden's Chris Cornell and Ministry's Al Jourgenson drank bile fresh from the stomach of performance artist Matt The Tube (from about 5 min into the video). There's plenty of creepy stuff in this video, and to be honest we found it hard to watch. Can you brave it?
Thanks to Billboard for compiling the original list.