4P Review

manufacturer: Alhambra date: 06/26/2008 category: Acoustic Guitars
Alhambra: 4P
The 4P has a very full-bodied and refined sound. Its tone quality is very nice and similar to much higher-priced guitars.
 8.4
 9.6
 7.2
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
4P Reviewed by: leondb, on june 26, 2008

Purchased from: Frary Classical Guitars

Features: Handcrafted in Spain, with a red cedar top, laminated indian rosewood sides, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard, and gold plated heads. It came with a heavy padded gig bag. Overall, this is a beautiful guitar! I have never let anyone but my father play this guitar. I just don't trust anyone with it, that's what my Takamine is for. // 9

Sound: The 4P is excellent for classical music! I bought this guitar when I was taking classes for classical guitar. I consider this guitar a high end beginner/intermediate guitar. The volume it puts out is big and bold! We had a quartet of guitars back then, and my friends in that class used to say how full this guitar sounded. I enjoyed playing Bach and Beethoven pieces on it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I remember my first classical guitar, which was given to me. There were some glued cracks, and it was just "okay" to my hands and ears, and not very easy on the eyes. When I picked up the 4P, I remember how smooth the action was. Picking felt so comfortable. I can say this without hyperbole, it felt like a perfect fit! At the time purchase, I was studying to play Bach's Gavotte (1006), and was close to buying a lesser model, but I played this piece and was starstruck! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The 4P definitely withstands Live playing. I've used it for 4 recitals. I've owned this guitar for close to 8 or 9 years now, and decided to take it out the other day and play through it. It still has that sound. Nothing is out of order. The tuners are still perfect. I've taken good care of it through the years, and there aren't any scratches. Alhambra builds excellent guitars! There is nothing like a handcrafted guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This was a perfect match for classical guitar. I have been playing for about 15 or 16 years now, and I consider this one of the few things I treasure, and the quality of this guitar is very nice. I would definitely purchase another Alhambra guitar if I was as serious about Classical music as I was 6 years ago. I might replace it if it were lost or stolen, or maybe I'd look into a P, not because this isn't a great guitar, but I wouldn't mind owning one of Alhambra's nicest. // 10

More Alhambra reviews rating category latest review
+ 3C 9.3 Acoustic Guitars 04/06/2009