AD60 Review

manufacturer: Alvarez date: 11/23/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Alvarez: AD60
The sound of your soul! Dreadnought acoustic/electric w/Figured Koa top, natural gloss finish, white pearl inlay, multi-layer binding, System 600T EQ w/built in tuner hear the music of your heart!
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.4
 Features: 9.6
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 8.5
 9.4
 7.5
reviews (5) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
AD60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 11, 2005

Features: - Body style: cutaway dreadnought - Back and sides: figured koa - Top wood: figured koa - Finish: natural - Rosette: white pearl - Binding: black/white multi-layer - Fingerboard: 12th fret diagonal - Machine heads: nickel die cast - Bridge/tremolo: rosewood - Controls: System 600T. // 10

Sound: I play alot of praise and worship for different groups, and the sound truly is great. This particular guitar has great mid-tones. It's not tinny on the upper registers, and not extrememly loud on the bass, it's got an overall great sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action when I got it was perfect. I like low action and it was great. Bookmatched tops are beautiful, there were no flaws when I got it. As I've stated before, the guitar is truly beautiful to look at. // 10

Overall Impression: If I lost it, I would definately buy it again. I've been playing for about9-10 years. If I would buy anything nicer, I would go for the Alvarez Yairi collection which is tremendous. // 10

AD60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2004

Features: 2003 model with 14 frets to the body and 20 frets overall. Has a solid top with a hig-gloss black finish. Bueatiful mother of pearl inlay around the rosette and on the neck and real classy inlay on only the 12th fret. Ebony neck with silver frets, chrome grover tuners, and an ivory inlayed spine. Dreadnought body with a gig bag. // 10

Sound: I play this guitar with light elixir strings and the sound is amazing. I love to play all types of music and guitars. I have played everything from Taylor's (my favorite) to Martins and all the way down the line. I play a lot of Jack johnson and Eric Clapton with a lot of pulls and taps in them so I had a luthier lower the action and I have not liked any guitar more than this one. The sound that comes out of this guitar is astonishing, extremely rich and extremely full. I live in an apartment and my neighbor thought I was playing an elec with the amp turned up. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little high for my liking however that was easily fixed for $20 and everything else on the guitar was perfect from the factory. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Although I have not had this guitar for more than 2 months I am positive that this guitar will withstand live playing and it is built extremely well. The finish is amazing. I feel like a black knight with this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I had done a little bit of research on this guitar before I purchased it but was totally shocked when I got the product. I do own 5 acoustics. I ordered it online and, like I said, only had the action lowered and I would not, honestly trade this guitar for a Martin, even trade. Maybe I have just become atached and love the way this thing feels and plays for my style but that is my opinion. This guitar plays with the ease of a nylon however it is steel and sounds like a dream. The elixir strings might play a amall role also. I have never thought about paying 1500-2000 dollars for a guitar and am glad I didn't because with the 300 dollars I paid I feel like I got the deal of a lifetime. I do not endorse or thank anybody usually but I felt obligated to post this review and thank Alvarez on a great guitar. // 10

AD60 Reviewed by: earlswoll, on september 09, 2004

Purchased from: Bulldog Music Store, NC

Features: My Alvarez is an AP (almost perfect) meaning that the finsish in the guitar had spots on it, so I got it at half price. The guitar's condition is perfect however. The solid-top is bearclaw spruce and the backs and sides are mohagany. There are 21 jumbo frets and it has the latest Alvarez pickup system, with a built in tuner. The guitar is also a cut-away. // 8

Sound: My music style is emo and acoustic rock, so the guitar suits it well. When bought the guitar it had a high fret, but a little bit of adjusting fixed that for me. The sound is rich and full, however when I compare it to an Alvarez Rd-8, the Rd-8 (which is not cut-away) has a much louder sound. However, the sound is rich. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was extremely high, and I lowered the saddle, but could not lower it too much because of the frets. I am content with the action now, but would prefer it to be a little lower. Like I said before, the guitar had a high fret but I got that fixed right away. Other than that, the pickup worked great, and everything else on the guitar was splendid. I am especially impressed with the tuning keys, the guitar rarely goes out of tune. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I lead worship at churches, and I use it to lead worship, because it is loud and clear, and also very beautiful. The tuner on the guitar works wonderfully, and the battery has not yet run dead. I would keep a backup, just incase a string broke, but the guitar is perfect for playing, and is one that you can hold on to for a while, even if you wanted to get a much more expensive one. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I would suggest that anyone who comes across a good deal on one of these guitars that they take advantage of it. The guitar is very reliable and built very strong. It has a good full sound, and I plan on keeping it for many years. // 8

AD60 Reviewed by: Rockwontdie, on september 07, 2010

Purchased from: Music Workshop

Features: Don't know when It was made, but everything on it is amazing! Simply amazing. The pickups are just regular Acoustic Alvarez pickups with a built-in tuner equipped as well. The tuners are stock tuners and they still work fine not being big brand tuners. The body wood and neck wood I'm pretty sure is Alder and Maple. The body style is dreadnought. Any body that would come across this guitar would enjoy it very much. // 10

Sound: Its suits everything I want to play with it! I mainly use it with Acoustic amps (fender Acoustic amps in particular. Not noisy at all. Its quiet as a mouse. This guitar can make a full range of sounds its fantastic to play any style with it. The sound is rich and full-sounding with a bright tonality. Any one would like this guitar. Everything you would ever want is in the package. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is quite rare actually, the wood has the shape of bear claws in it. Its a very fine instrument. The action is a little bit high but I'm planning on fixing it soon but that doesn't ruin the quality of the guitar. I don't know what else to say about this guitar it is beyond brilliant. It's just simply awesome. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable and will easily wishstand live playing. It's awesome. Every bit of hardware on this guitar was built to perfection. Nothing is flawed on this instrument. This guitar is good enough to last and will not wear off with lots of playing. Its a great instrument and anyone would enjoy playing this fine work of art. // 10

Overall Impression: It's the perfect match for anything. Period. I've been playing this guitar for 3 years and I've loved it ever since. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely by it again because it is such a great guitar to play. I love pretty much everything about this guitar, the sound and everything. In my opinion, it doesn't compare to anything else, its beyond terrific. // 10

AD60 Reviewed by: SchecterDean, on november 23, 2012

Purchased from: Local Pawn Shop

Features: Gator, soft/hard shell case was included. Here are the Specs: - Body Style: Cutaway Dreadnought - Back: Koa - Top: Solid top Koa - Sides: Koa - Fingerboard: Rosewood - Bridge: Rosewood - Soundhole Rosette: White Pearl - Tuning Machines: Nickel Die Cast - Finish: Natural - Electronics: System 500 II I would defiantly invest in a humidifier and keep it in it's case. My friend has one and the finish cracked on it, could be the environment it was in, but since then, it hasn't sounded like mine. That was about the only thing I invested in, besides a sh** load of 9 volts, this thing eats through them like there is no tomorrow. // 10

Sound: The Koa wood definitely gives it a very warm-bass sound. I use D'Addario med, and it suits the guitar. When I bought it a little over a year ago I talked the guy down from $250 (u.s.) to $150, it was a steal. The electronics it came with, are very well built, and bring out the natural tone in the guitar. The built in tuner and eq was a must. It sounds great mic'd up or just straight into the input to the mixing board. I also use a Zoom A2 pedal to add more effects, just to give it some brightness. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Since it was a Pawn shop discount special, I took the whole entire setup as; out of factory. I could move up and down the neck with ease on the purchase, but noticed the strings were to close for my liking, and got a good fretbuzz on the G string, just moved the truss a few degrees and it fixed the problem. The finish is very beautiful, and looks like alot of time was put into the final product. I can't complain of the finess of the craftsmanship, although, the bridge pins are a cheap plastic, I swapped them out with wood (can't remember what kind though) bridge pins, and it took the sound up a notch, still bassy, but a little brightness showed through. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing, day in and day out. It's the number one guitar I go to when writting or practicing. I live in a harsh Nebraska climate where it is dry a majority of the winters, summers, and falls, but moist in spring. If I keep it out of it's case I have a humidifier in the room on the low setting, I have had to make few adjustments to it through these last few seasons, but that has to deal the the climate and the wood expanding and contracting, like every acoustic. I treat it like a baby, but it's an acoustic, so you have to in a way. I would use it without a backup, no problem, and the finish is durable, you don't have to worry about any of the laquer rubbing off, just give it some tlc cleaning now and again. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression... Well, I'm really impressed. For the price, I couldn't found a better acoustic. I fell in love with Alvarez long ago, and I'm glad I found this one in a Pawn shop, and at the time it went for $500+ new. If it broke, I'd probably do what I can to fix it, or invest in another Alvarez. My friend has an 80's Martin (can't remember what model), but the sound is very similar, if not identical. I've searched and searched, looking at Ibanez, Takamine (SP), Yamaha, Fender, and even played out of my budget; Gibson & Taylor. I would compare this guitar to a Martin acoustic, sound wise, warm and lucious. I guess it was dumb-luck I came across it. // 10

More Alvarez reviews rating category latest review
+ RD8 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 09/16/2013