AD70 Review

manufacturer: Alvarez date: 04/05/2010 category: Acoustic Guitars
Alvarez: AD70
This Alvarez Artist series 6 string acoustic guitar features a great sounding traditional body style with solid spruce top and Indian rosewood back and sides for a balanced, clear and powerful sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 8.3
 7.9
 8.8
reviews (3) user comments vote for this gear:
AD70 Reviewed by: iband48, on april 05, 2010

Purchased from: The Music Center

Features: The Alvarez AD70S is a dreadnought styled guitar featuring a solid spruce top, indian rosewood back/sides, and a rosewood fingerboard. All of this offers a powerful sound and solid playability at a very reasonable price. While the combination of spruce and rosewood offers a clear and dynamic tone, some may find that the dreadnought body can cause the bass to be overpowering. One of the more striking features is the lack of fretboard inlays on this guitar. The only actual inlay that decorates this guitar is the diagonal stripe featured on the twelfth fret. This model of guitar, however, is missing a few features that some may find desirable. There is a lack of electronics in this model guitar, although it can be ordered with them installed. As well, there is only one strap button, which is located on the bottom of the guitar; but this can be easily remedied with a proper installation for rather cheap. Finally, the tuning machines are nothing amazing to speak of, but they get the job done. // 5

Sound: As stated before, this guitar has a rather dynamic tone for the most part. Due to the dreadnought styled body, some plays may very well find the bass to be overpowering when strumming heavily. When fingerpicked, though, the guitar exhibits a very balanced tone. As good of a sound as this guitar has, it still does not compare to higher end models. While it easily surpassed expectation when compared to guitars in the same price range, as well as those a few hundred dollars higher, it still holds little light to high end guitars. This can only really be noticed in the dynamics of the tone. While it has a large sound, it is not as full-bodied as some nicer guitars. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is offered as a natural gloss finish. Some may find the grain patterns commonly seen in this guitar to be somewhat unattractive, due to the quality of wood that is used. Right out of the box, this guitar had a very level action that seemed neither too high, nor too low. It was easy to play after being tuned up the first time. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has seen me through a large number of shows; ranging from bars, to cafes, to fill blown auditoriums. In all situations, it performed just as one would expect. It has seen its fair share of dings and bumps throughout my playing career, and retains the tone that it had when I first bought it. There are only a few noticeable scratches in the finish now, and those were caused by very hard hits against the corners of desks, or door handles. So if there was a concern that this was a delicate instrument, you can let your mind ease a bit. Based on everything I've put this guitar through, and everything I've seen it put through, I can attest this guitar should last for years to come, without much concern. // 8

Overall Impression: For a guitar that can easily be found for $299 these days, it certainly pays for itself rather quickly. While there are guitars that are able to out perform this model, you will have to pay a few hundred more dollars in order to get to that point. It offers a very good tone for the price that you will pay. Some may find this guitar to be lacking in certain features, such as electronics or an included case. But even with those faults, it is still a very solid instrument that will serve most any beginner to intermediate player without any problems. // 7

AD70 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 19, 2006

Features: AD70SC is from the new Alvarez Artist Series. It has a cut away Indian rosewood body, solid spruce top and 600T MK II Preamp/EQ. There is one Piezo microphone inside the body and you can also ad an auxiliary condenser microphone at it, the 600T system has a plug in for that. You can mix the piezo and condenser mic from the EQ. There is also tuner in the electronics, but unfortunately it's not very accurate. Neck has 20 frets and it is very thin, which fits great for us less fortunate in finger lenght. I don't know where it's made, other guy here mentioned that his AD70 was made in Japan, so maybe it's from there. // 10

Sound: I've been playing for 14 years. I play a lot of blues and fingerstyle guitar at home and it suits it perfectly, the sound with bare fingers is awesome! It was the sound and action that caught my attention instantly at this guitar. I tried out other guitars, some Larrivees, Fenders, Takamines and Taylors, 800-1600 Euro models, they didn't sound any better and I couldn't believe it. So I went at the shop three times again to try if my ears were lying to me at the first time, but no, I even took my friends with me to judge. Sound is very warm and bass dominant in the low strings, medium bright in the high strings. I think the sound is better with the fingers than with the pick. Still, the sound with the pick is not bad at all, it's just brighter and more metallic, and very loud! Haven't played very much yet with an amplifier, but what I have tested, the 600T system works fine. There are good equalization possibilities in it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was fine without adjusting, thin neck allows better string bending without much force. It's a beautiful guitar, with natural wood colors. Better looking than most girls I've met. There is slightly rough finishing with the frets, they make little bit sound when you bend the string. The salesman at the shop said that there's is usually the difference between this and those much more expensive guitars. Frets should smoothen in playing with the time so I'm not gonna pay hundreds for the tiny differences in finishing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've owned it only two weeks so I can't say much about the durability. It feels very strong and I believe it's definitely going to stand the test of time. I'm giving it ten just because I love my guitar. Can't say anything sure about this. // 10

Overall Impression: I play pop/rock/folk/blues and it suits me perfectly! It seems to be the best bargain of my life. Premium guitar with a very low price. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to find guitar that matches the great sound of those high priced brands, but with much less money. The neck and action is for everyone to decide on they own, for me it was great. // 10

AD70 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2004

Purchased from: ebay

Features: Japanese made, the AD70S has become a great asset to my collection. Solid Spruce top and scalloped braces produce a great sound. Thin rosewood neck allows for quick fingering. I've played many guitars over the years and found for the value. A great friggin' guitar! Great for flatpicking bluegrass tunes. // 10

Sound: Sounds just as good as any guitar I've played at 3 times the price (list is $429 US) but at the price I got it at. Outrageously good! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Played well right out of the box. Factory set up has nice action got even better with light gauge strings. There seems to be a tiny wave or knot in the edge of the top but doesn't affect the playability finished well with clear laquer. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Owning this guitar for about a year so far, I haven't had any problems with it and play often. Stands up to the doggie occaisionly knocking it off its stand and stays in tune during temperature changes. // 10

Overall Impression: Great acoustic for blues and bluegrass. I've been playing for about 35 years and find it's a joy to pick on. If lost or stolen I'd go get another one in a heartbeat! Great for backup and becoming a workhorse! I have an Ovation 12 string, 1974 Guild 12 string, 1976 Gibson SG, Gibson Mastertone 5-stirng Banjo. // 10

More Alvarez reviews rating category latest review
+ RD8 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 09/16/2013