DY94 Review

manufacturer: Alvarez date: 06/07/2007 category: Acoustic Guitars
Alvarez: DY94
The entirely handmade DY94 features a solid Spruce top, solid Mahogany back/sides, scalloped bracing, rosewood fingerboard and the patented Direct Coupled Bridge.
 9.6
 8.4
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
DY94 Reviewed by: supahfly410, on june 07, 2007

Purchased from: Pianos n' Stuff

Features: This guitar is a 2002 Dreadnought, Alverez "Yairi" (fully handcrafted under the supervision of Kazuo Yairi, Who I am quickly learning is some famous guitar craftsman from japan). It is made with Spruce on top, Mahogany on the back and sides, and Rosewood on the fretboard which holds 20 frets. Tinted natural finish with Abalone mother of pearl inlay designs on the 12th fret and around the soundhole. The head of the guitar is ebony with more mother of pearl on the yairi symbol and the tuning nuts are a cool Orange stone that I'm not sure about but look great. // 9

Sound: The reason I bought this guitar is or it's sound. The beauty is extra. The sound is intimate. It shines it's brightest with fingerpicking and individual notes and intervals and such. Chords sound great too, but I've come to realize that this guitar isnt for heavy strumming. it's not that heavy strumming sounds bad, it's just that at that point you can't hear the clean and percise quality that the guitar is best with. The thing is there's no electronics, but that wasn't an issue for me. Out of all the guitars under 1000 bucks this one sounded the best by far. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is very low. I learned a great deal about action when shopping around. This guitar's action is so low that there's actually some very minor buzzing if you try for it. I thought of gettin the action raised but while waiting to ask someone about it I played some top of the line acoustics and noticed the same buzzing. So I played it out and it ended up not being a problem for me. I'm talking about very slight nitpick buzzing here that can't be heard unless you listen for it. Besides that everything was perfect // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm very sad to say that after 2 months of carrying this guitar around the house with me everyday I have scratched it. I think I was twisting it around on my cement floor of my pourch when I thought that it was only on the strap nut but I somehow it got some scratches. it's only very small but it sucks because the guitar is so beautiful. it's really almost Orange-gold the whole way around which is why I love it. I didn't want to buy that lame yellow spruce. I've banged it around as much as anyone would and it's been find so far. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is amazing. The guy at the store kinda was hinting at it while another guy was trying to get me to stay away from it. I came back and heard he was saving up for it. I feel bad but I knew when I played this guitar that it was the one. I'm pretty sure it was marked down about 1000 dollars because the store was trying to move new guitars in and somehow this one hadnt sold for years. All I can say is if your looking for an acoustic, try an alverez yairi. They're amazing. // 10

More Alvarez reviews rating category latest review
+ RD8 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 09/16/2013