FF60 Review

manufacturer: Alvarez date: 12/23/2008 category: Acoustic Guitars
Alvarez: FF60
This here is the Alvarez FF60, thinbody, cutaway, quilted maple top, back and sides. There is a beautiful inlay around the soundhole, and down the middle of the back. Rosewood fretboard set onto a maple neck.
 8.9
 8.4
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
FF60 Reviewed by: p o e, on december 23, 2008

Features: This here is the Alvarez FF60WR, thinbody, cutaway, quilted maple top, back and sides. She's finished in a red stain with black and cream binding on the body, neck, and headstock. There is a beautiful inlay around the soundhole, and down the middle of the back. Rosewood fretboard set onto a maple neck. The bridge is rosewood with a plastic saddle. One inlay at the twelfth fret, it's a slanting line with a figured Diamond in the middle. Gold Grover tuners, and a sweet Alvarez logo inlay on the headstock. She has 600T electronics, but I rarely use them. So I don't have much of a comment on them. 1-11/16" nut, 25.5" scale. Let me tell you, this is one hell of a guitar. // 9

Sound: I play mainly blues, a bit of folky stuff, rockabilly, and classical on this guitar. She has a very midrange/treble heavy tone. The bass is creamy when I play near the neck, but mostly it's more high ranged. UG wants me to talk about what amp I'm using it through, and what effects, but since it's kind of an acoustic, both are N/A. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action from the store was ok, my teacher set it up though and it was great. Recently though i've raised it a bit to compensate for heavier strings, and my slide fetish. The bookmatched top was perfect. But heres where we had a problem. After about a month of owning her, i noticed a little black line through the finish. But it's ok, gives it character. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is reliable. In the two years i've had it, it's been to two outdoor festivals in the rain, the beach, been dropped down the stairs by my sister, and dinged around a bit. She's holding up very well. A few scuffs on the bottom, and the cutaway horn and the headstock. But nothing more. I've played recitals and small shows with this, and its held up very well without a backup, plus i don't have another acoustic. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 5 years, and this is my first and only acoustic. In my time i've owned several electric guitars, and a bass. I play my electrics through a Mesa Boogie Mark IV and a few choice pedals. If i lost it, i would either buy it again, or maybe save for a Taylor. It suits all the styles i run it for, and it sings gloriously with a slide. Very gnarly tone with the old slide. But without, it is clear, bright, and beautiful! I play mainly blues, a bit of folky stuff, rockabilly, and classical, and it fits wonderfully. Well, maybe not classical so much, a bit too bright, ya know? // 8

More Alvarez reviews rating category latest review
+ RD8 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 09/16/2013