RD20 Review

manufacturer: Alvarez date: 12/27/2005 category: Acoustic Guitars
Alvarez: RD20
Solid top acoustic electric at an affordable price! Mahogony back/sides, natural gloss finish, multi-layer binding, Die-Cast tuners, 3-band EQ.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 7.5
reviews (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
RD20 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 27, 2005

Purchased from: Pulse Music

Features: My wife gave this beautiful guitar for Xmas; it's built in China and came double boxed via USPS. She placed the order on 12/19/2005 and the box showed up on 12/23/05; shipping was included in the price. I can't believe it showed up that quick over the holidays [Kokomo, Indiana to San Diego, CA]. Pulse Music even called my wife to be sure she was aware that there was a good chance the guitar might not make it by Xmas. Those guys at Pulse Music really care about their customers. The guitar was double boxed and arrived undamaged, it is beautiful and when I picked it up and used the on-board electronic tuner, it was in good tune. Again, the guitar is exceptional and is my first. I'm really happy- probably the best Xmas gift I've ever received. It's a std. 20 fret, rosewood fretboard and bridge, solid spruce top and mahogany back & sides [not sure if the mahogany is a solid or laminate]. If I had to quantify the neck 'action' I'd characterize it as a slim sixteenth inch at the head and a fat eighth inch at the sound hole. The neck is a 2 piece, but they come close to being able to hide that. The finish is high gloss and perfect with black binding; the tuners are basic chrome diecast. This is a cut-away dreadnought with very clean sound and a built in pickup/mixer/tuner, it even had the required 9V battery installed and both neck strap pegs installed [Pulse Music is great]. It also has a pearl looking rosette and black pick guard that mimicks the cutaway side of the body template. The 2 repeated praises I read about this model of Alavarez is that it has good tone and projection for the money and stays in tune. I can only speak to the first at this point. I'm now looking for a worthy case, not sure if hard or soft, but I'll probably be reluctant to let it go out of the house. If I ever get to the point where a better grade instrument is required, I'll definetly look at the Alvarez Artist series. // 9

Sound: I'm just learning simple jazz chords and ultimately hope to play brazilian sambas and tropico; maybe some Flamenco, but that's a long way off. Its 3 band EQ works well. The sound is great, the tone is deep and solid playability is exceptional. This guitar is good across all notes. It sounds wonderful when fingerpicking and when struming. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is very low for easier playability. The EQ system works very well with house systems. The top grain is beautifully even, and the back is really well matched. The bridge shape is decorative and beautifully finished as well. This guitar stays in tune very well. The guitar is just an amazing work of beauty. The neck is somewhat narrow and it's very easy to play. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The craftsmanship of this baby is excellent, tuners are wonderful, it's just an awesome guitar. Definitely a great burgain, amazing quality for the price. It's very durable. A good guitar for screwing around on. The hardware and finish will most likely last. The strap button is solid. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great instrument. It is easy to play and is also fun to play. Playing bar chords has not been this easy since the electric guitar. If you are looking for a electric/acoustic guitar that is good quality and is a reasonable price. Then you have found the right one. // 9

RD20 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 19, 2004

Purchased from: World Of Music-Erie

Features: This is a 2003 model..my first serious guitar,(I always played around with righty guitars upside down) it's made in China. It has Mahoghany back, neck, and sides and a solid spruce top...very sharp looking with a glossy finish. It's a dreadnaught and is very loud, the saddle was a bit low and was shimmed after a about a week of playing. Now it rings loud and clear at every fret. Fingerboard is rosewood and is almost as dark as ebony. Enclosed tuners that are very sensitive and are probably schallers, tune it once and it stays in tune, unless there is a dramatic change in temp i.e. I take it outside (its now 18). A great sounding guitar for the money, made at the Samick factory I think..along with 9 other brands...I like the sound of Dean Markley phosphor-bronze lights on it. It doesn't have a strap button on it...gotta drill and screw one in the neck, it does have one on the bottom. This guitar sounds every bit as nice as a buddies Martin, it looks good it is fully bound with black and white binding. The action is close and the neck is thin and fast. If you're into names then get a Martin or a real Alvarez Yairi or something, if you're into practising and having a decent looking guitar and your left handed get one of these. // 10

Sound: I'm just playing chords and a little lead stuff right now Eagles and Toby Keith, Crosby Stills Nash, etc. Full sounding even with Light strings. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Set-up was good neck straight and tuned but I did have the saddle shimmed to get a small buzz out of it if I played anything further up the neck. Finish is flawless and high gloss. Intonation is good also. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far the guitar will play with the best of 'em, stay in tune and looks as good or better than some pretty expensive guitars. I haven't had a problem in 5 months and play it every day at least an hour. I'm not too worried about gigging out yet :^) // 8

Overall Impression: I'm playing easy rock-country and bluegrass stuff that is easy to learn I have no other guitars right now. I will add some form of pickup (ups) on it later. I like this thing so far it plays and sounds like a much more expensive guitar..rings like a bell on Bluegrass stuff and I can still play it quietly when my son's sleeping. I'd buy another one if it got stolen (don't get any ideas) you can't beat the looks sound and playability of it for the money. // 10

More Alvarez reviews rating category latest review
+ RD8 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 09/16/2013