RF8 Review

manufacturer: Alvarez date: 11/14/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Alvarez: RF8
The RF8 is our most value-oriented Folk guitar, featuring a mahogany body with a select spruce top for superior projection and tone in an entry-level instrument. The RF8's hardshell case is included as a bonus.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 6.5
 8.1
 8.2
 7.9
reviews (2) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
RF8 Reviewed by: Jack_Elviri, on november 14, 2011

Purchased from: Morezville Music

Features: I received the Alvarez RF8 as a gift in 2006, but I am unsure when it was made. This guitar was factory-made in China, as are all of the Regent Series instruments. It has a rosewood 20 fret fretboard and a beautiful mahogany neck. The body has a natural, glossy finish, and the mahogany wood looks very nice. It has no electronics on it - just a plain, old-fashioned acoustic. Its tuners perform exceptionally well, and I have gone for an entire week without tuning it, and it was still in tune! A surprisingly sturdy hard case with the Alvarez logo came with the guitar as a free bonus. // 7

Sound: For an entry-level guitar, this guitar's sound is quite good. Although definitely not a Taylor or Martin, the RF8 has a pleasant, full sound. The bass rumbles clearly, and the treble notes sing away. I play an eclectic number of genres, ranging from hard rock to classical music. From the metal riffs of Rage Against The Machine to beautiful "Star Wars" orchestral arrangements, the RF8 sounds great. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The only true gripe I have with this guitar is predictable for an entry-level guitar: the action. The action was set too high at the factory, and thus playing is a bit more difficult than it should be. I suppose one day I'll talk myself into taking it to a guitar shop to lower the action, but hey, I'm cheap. But compared to some of the "First Act" type guitars I've seen, the action is just fine. The finish is beautiful, exactly as one would expect from a more expensive instrument. Nothing seemed out of place. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar would withstand live playing, if people could hear it (the RF8 is totally acoustic, no amplification). I've hit the headstock and body on various doors and tables throughout the house by accident, and not a scratch can be seen. I don't really throw it around a lot, but my strap hasn't come loose yet. I don't trust myself enough to go on an actual gig without a backup, but I think this guitar would work by itself. The finish is still solid after five years, but I have kept it in its case when not playing, and I didn't start playing it again until about eight months ago. But I think the RF8 is a pretty durable guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play rock music the most, but I also play a few neo-classical pieces and a bunch of Folk music. Obviously, an electric is best for the rock music, but this guitar holds up to it pretty well. And it performs very well on Folk and neo-classical. If it were stolen, I would probably upgrade to a higher-level model if I could afford it, but I would be happy with having the RF8 again. I do wish it had an amplification system, but I don't plan to play live with it, so I don't really need one. Overall, I am impressed with this guitar and would recommend it to a beginner or intermediate guitarist looking for a practice guitar with good sound and fairly good setup. // 9

RF8 Reviewed by: andybene, on june 26, 2007

Purchased from: Daddy's Music

Features: I purchased this guitar in 2003 and I still like it. It's just a std. folk guitar, part of the Regent Series. It's Made in China like the rest in the series, and it's quality still seems good. It has a std 21 fret neck, rosewood fretboard, Mahogany Back and Sides, Laminated Spruce Top, and Crome Tuners. My mother has an older Alvarez from the early 90's nothin like this one. that's when all Alvarez where made in Japan "handmade" hahaha no more. Still looks nice. High gloss and good cuts of wood. The body is folk style so like a Dreadnaught but with a slimmer waist. Totaly acoustic no electronics. The Tuners are pretty good I think they're Sperzel, or Gotoh. It also came with a really nice Case in black by Alvarez. // 6

Sound: I bought this guitar because I just wanted an acoustic. It's not some top of the line guitar just somethin to jam with. Sounds pretty good though because of the Wood select. The only thing that bothers me is when you put light guage strings they tend to buzz even when holding the strings frimly. Other than that the sound is good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Perfectly set up guitar. it's an assembly line guitar. They're all set up nearly the same. When I first got it you had to take it out of the bag and tune it yourself, it came with Elixer strings but I put on Ernie Ball Earth wood.12 strings. The action is a lil slow. Depends on the strings you use though. This guitar has no flaws at all really nice. on eyes and sound wise. Not for a professional. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could be played Live but it's not as vibrant as a guitar in the 1000's. Seems like everything on this guitar will last forever. As long as it's in the case hahaha. Good quality instrument! just for beginners and intermeadiate players. I typically wanted a nylon string guitar but this will be my only Steel string it's good enough for me. // 9

Overall Impression: I play blues-rock, jazz, and classical. So it suits some of my needs. I've been playing for 6 years and I own A Fender Strat which is my main guitar of play so this guitar is just a side thing. Other than this review this guitar is a nice little folk acoustic, and I like it. I'm happy with it, and Alvarez has always been known for eye catching instruments, but if your a pro, get a hand made one! // 9

More Alvarez reviews rating category latest review
+ RD8 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 09/16/2013