Cedar Review

manufacturer: Art & Lutherie date: 08/15/2014 category: Acoustic Guitars
Art & Lutherie: Cedar
Made of Cedar with a rosewood fretboard. 21 frets. It came with D'Addario light strings.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.7
 8.9
reviews (3) pictures (5) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Cedar Reviewed by: ghettoFOBulous, on february 16, 2006

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

Features: This was my first electric accoustic. This guitar was a instrument of compromise. I later realized this about a year into the purchase after I really started advancing in my skills and moving up the fretboard. Made of Cedar with a rosewood fretboard. 21 frets. It came with D'Addario light strings that I have stuck with. I also liked the clean finish. Onboard EQ but I mention more about that later. // 5

Sound: I like the sound of it. I bought this guitar to replace my classical guitar. I started playing for my church and I needed a different sound and amplification. Like a woman at first she was warm, and full. Almost dreadnought full but without the bigness. I really didn't know what I was looking for in a guitar but to me the tone was pleasing. Later on I longed for brightness. I couldn't cut through the wall of sound coming from the piano, drum and bass even with endless adjusting on the EQ. I was playing through a Behringer's ACX1000. Often I sounded more like a bass than a guitar. It had gotten too warm and I needed to open a window. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: On board EQ. The first compromise I noticed was the really basic onboard EQ. Only three adjustments. I also had to remove the strings before I could replace the batteries. This has resulted in me asking little children to reach inside with their small little hands to get the battery out for me. Action. After a year my playing style changed from simple chords near the head of the guitar to denser chords and some solo's higher up the fret. My fingers kept stumbling. At first I thought it was because I was use to playing a classical guitar with nylon strings but I still got cramps even after a year holding down bar chords. After a comparison with my friends Tak D series I realized how high the action was. In fact I dare you to find a guitar with higher action. The bridge I have named Golden Gate cause it reaches to the sky. I sanded the bridge down to half the height only to come into two problems. Massive fret buzzing that I first though was due to the gauage of my strings. Secondly the pickup wouldn't register a signal from my high E string. I took it into the music store and the sales man said the reason why these guitars come with such a high bridge is because the pickup is cheap. This guitar needs a stuntman cause the action is way too high and there is really nothing you can do about it without worry about your pickups. Pickups. The pickup needs a certain amount of tension on it from the bridge and a sever angle is needed fromt he strings to the bridge to create that tension. Basically the high bridge is nessary. Also the pickup is very fragile. Scratching the surface can cause an intruption in the signal and render the pick useless (which was pretty basic to begin with). The though of swaping out the pickups did cross my mind but I have grown tired of the tone and I really don't want to invest anymore money into this guitar. // 3

Reliability & Durability: It stays in tune fairly well. Construction on this guitar is not a problem. It's a well built tank but I don't want a tank. This is my main instrumet on sundays. I do begin to long for more out of a guitar though. I wouldn't even sell this to my friends who are just learning guitar because the strings are too high and tension is too great that it would discourage any noob. Bar chords are still fatiguing on the fingers. It is easier to bar my 12 string than this one. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly modern gospel music. In my spare time I like to play some Eric Clapton, Damien Rice, Ben Harper on this instrument. I have been playing for almost 8 years. The first 5 were spent learning classical guitar. I made a switch to accoustic and transitioning again to electric cause I want to play more than just chords. I also own a classical guitar, 12 string and Fender Strat. If it was lost or stolen I would be a blessing in disguise I think. I am really frustrated with this guitar and it being gone would finally motivate me enough to stop spending my money on snowboard gear and get another guitar. This has left a bad taste in my mouth for Art & Lutherie. I realize this isn't their best product but for your entry level line, it would seriously discourage any one learning on this guitar. // 5

Cedar Reviewed by: MWest, on july 14, 2009

Price paid: C$ 429

Purchased from: Walter's Music London

Features: 2008 Canadian made 21 fret with a solid Cedar top. The body is made of Wild Cherry and the neck from Silver Leaf Maple. All Canadian wood from naturally fallen trees - no cut trees! The fingerboard is Indian Rosewood. The finish is a semi-gloss hand varnish over a gorgeous tobacco stain. It features Godin electronics with volume, bass, and treble controls and an onboard tuner. It comes with Godin strings - now my favourite Acoustic guitar string! // 10

Sound: I play Rush and the Beatles as well as kids songs and classical melodies and etudies. The sound overall is rich and woody. It is not bright and it is not boomy. I occasionally run it through my daughter's Traynor 10W or my friend's Vox, but normally I play unamplified. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was perfectly set up from the factory. I did not have to make any adjustments to the action, the saddle, or the nut. There is no string buzz. The hardware was all perfect for the price that I paid. Barre chords are easy to play, even at the 12th fret. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have no experience playing Live, so I cannot really comment here. I only play alone or jam with friends and family. There is only one strap button. It is on the rear. It doubles as a jack for the electronics. Presumably this makes for a stronger button than a standard screw-in type. I wish that it had a button at the base of the neck. // 5

Overall Impression: I like everything about this guitar: sound, feel, look. My test piece was "The Sphere" by Rush. This is the only guitar that captured the complexities of that song. I thoroughly researched it and tried many many guitars in my price range before choosing this one. My preference was for Canadian made guitars when I was shopping around, but I also tested other guitars like Yamaha, Takamine, and Epiphone. I thought that I was going to buy a Norman or a Simon & Patrick before I found this beauty. I would definitely buy it again if it were lost or stolen. // 10

Cedar Reviewed by: dadeedum, on august 15, 2014

Features: The Art & Lutherie series are made by Godin, a Canadian company. Godin also makes the Seagull, Norman and the Simon & Patrick lines. This dreadnought is a 2006 model and I bought it used 3 years ago. A&L are the budget series. They don't have a binding at the back, they have a satin finish (which is cheaper to produce than gloss) and the headstock has a painted on logo. Where it counts, they are very similar in woods, shape, tuners, etc to the higher end Godin lines.

It has a medium, shallow maple neck with regular sized frets. Solid Cedar top, laminated Wild Cherry sides and back. What's really cool is that these woods are locally harvested and milled to make these guitars. The rosewood used for the fret board and bridge just doesn't grow in Canada, but everything else does. The tuners are the typical no name ones used by almost all Godin guitars and they work smoothly. Never had an issue with them. The body is very Martin like, with a square shouldered body and the square top headstock. Mine is in the "Antique Burst" colour and it just looks better and better as it ages, the accumulated dings and scratches adding more character to it. // 8

Sound: I play all sorts of stuff. Finger picking The Beatles "Blackbird" to blues to power chords to bluegrass and even some classical. It's bullsh-t, of course, to say that a certain guitar is only good for fingerpickers or strummers. The A&L certainly feels comfortable doing it all, at my intermediate level. It's not my only guitar, but it's the one that sits on a stand in the living room, ready for anyone to play. The sound of this guitar is balanced, with no weak areas. The bass is not quite as piano-like as my much more expensive Yamaha guitar, but it is not as cardboard sounding as say a cheap laminate guitar. Good clear mids and highs. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was very well setup when I bought it, and it's likely that the previous owner never touched it. No fret buzzes and no dead spots. Medium/low action. Overall, great quality, especially at this price. No frets that bite, tuning pegs turn with some light friction. The finish was already worn in spots, as the seller had played in such a way that the pick had worn thru the finish and even dug into the wood just beyond the pickguard, beside the saddle. The pickguard is a regular size, so I blame this on the player. On the other hand, the finish where your arm drapes over the guitar has chaned to a slightly softened "gummy" feel, almost as if body heat and humidity has reacted with it. Hey it adds more character! // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would certainly use this guitar any place, any where, and in the toughest situations, i.e.: at a campfire. No backup is required. It has stood up to 8 years of daily playing including many outdoor gigs-what else do you want? All the hardware has been 100% reliable. The finish is the weakest link. I've already mentioned the softened front finish. The other area is the back of the neck. It seems that the stain has faded in some spots, like where the thumb rests when you are playing open chords, even though satin gloss is still there. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 7 years. In that time, I've become a bit of a guitar gigolo, trading up and down every few months. Except for this one. Great sound from a budget guitar. The solid cedar top will only improve with age. It's a bit of a plain jane guitar that doesn't stand out, until you play it. The sound is very evenly balanced and you can make it do just about anything. I have owned examples of each of the Godin lines, several Yamahas, several Larrivees, and a few dozen other brands as well. I highly recommend this guitar, even at it's price when new. At the price I paid ($150) it's a bargain! // 8

More Art & Lutherie reviews rating category latest review