CG44 Starter Pack Review

manufacturer: Ashton date: 11/03/2010 category: Acoustic Guitars
Ashton: CG44 Starter Pack
Based around Ashton's rich-toned and resonant nylon stringed CG44 guitar, this pack also includes a sturdy gig bag for carrying your instruments to practice or performances, plus extra strings and picks.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.7
 Features: 7.3
 7.8
 7.3
 8.2
reviews (3) user comments vote for this gear:
CG44 Starter Pack Reviewed by: dark_destiny, on november 25, 2005

Features: This guitar is an Ashton CG-44 with a glossy spruce top in orange, has a rosewood fingerboard with 19 or so frets, 1 strap button on bottom, gold 'butterfly' machine heads and a Catalpa neck. It has the classic guitar shape of course. The neck is fairly fat due to it being a classical guitar though the action is good. This makes it a good beginner's guitar to learn on before going out and buying your dream guitar. I don't know what year it was made but it came as a starter pack in a soft case with a spare set of Ashton nylon strings, a few picks and a Tutorial CD. Though I reckon the CD is pretty shithouse. // 8

Sound: Since it is a classical, it's no hot shot sound but it does the job anyway. My friend had another classical guitar a Valencia, it had a deeper sound than this one but I have only had this guitar for nearly a year so the wood hasn't aged too much. It suits my musical style well enough. The guitar has a bright mellow sound and the strings resonate nicely making it suitable for chords or classic finger picking style. When I tuned it down which is weird for a classical guitar it lost it's sound a bit though it had a nicer deep tone and anywhere below drop D it loses its flavour so best to keep it in standard tuning or open tunings. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: For it's price (AUD$99) this guitar is pretty damn good. Nothing is really shotty about it. The finish hasn't faded, the intonation is nearly perfect and it stays in tune, though like most guitars it takes time to adjust to new strings. The strap button is screwed into the body but is reliable. Also ideal action, and the nylon strings complement the overall feel. The only one flaw I can see is that the machine heads have slighlty rusted but that is no big deal really. Besides that inside the body seems to be satisfactory. The bracing looks fairly firm and is durable but that doesn't mean test it out and drop the guitar form your roof or something. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had this guitar for nearly a year and also own an electric, an SG. It has been fairly durable and the only slight damage has been from me bumping the headstock on my wardrobe which chipped a little bit of the finish. The strap button is yet to fail. I mostly play at home or with friends and havent gigged or played shows yet (us fellas might start a band). It is a dependable guitar and being of an acoustic nature can be played anywhere anytime. // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play rock music and of course that is mostly for electric guitar but I still play anything on this guitar no matter how unsuited it sounds. I do prefer an electric guitar but this is a handy backup when needed. I reckon it is better to start off on an acoustic or classical instrument first as the ego doesn't set in with all the wannabe guitarists as much. If this guitar was stolen (possibly how could you lose a guitar). I would be upset though to replace it I would probably get a Takamine or Ibanez acoustic. All round it is a good beginner's guitar and that's what I love about it since it is easy to play. I have only played a few other classical guitars, but this one is the best I have played. Overall I recommend this model to someone who is looking for an affordable yet quality classical guitar. It should be everything that someone needs to start off before getting into the sophisticated world of electric guitar and all their awesome effects. // 9

CG44 Starter Pack Reviewed by: Raffi M, on july 04, 2008

Price paid: A$ 100

Purchased from: Local Guitar store

Features: OK this guitar has a laminated top and has no electrics. It has butterfly machine heads and a short and fat bridge due to it being a classical guitar and a classical body shape. Due to its small body it is very portable. It has rosewood fingerboard with only 19 frets. It has mahogany back and sides and a spruce top. Action is high so that's a pain in the but. It came with a starter pack (pics, gig bag and CD as well as a strap. The strap is crap keeps coming loose). // 6

Sound: I got this guitar as my very first guitar and don't play it much any more. I play mainly rock, country, Folk and metal and obviously this doesn't suit my style. It sounds really good for its price. It's good for finger style and decent for chords. There is some variety in the sound but it is mainly used for classical music. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Ok this was pretty sloppily done at the factory. The action was low at the start of the neck but got really high making it almost impossible to play with past the 7th fret. It has almost no flaws but the action just really pisses me off. The tuners are really bad as well as it comes out of tune every time I play it and it comes out of tune even when I don't play sometimes. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for half a year. I used to play on school guitar and this was the first one I actually owned. I would not take this guitar to a live performance as nobody will here it as it's sound is not very loud. This guitar is not very durable. It gets damaged at the slightest bump. It has a lot of damage done to it even if haven't dropped it once. I'm pretty sure this guitar won't last any longer than it already has. // 4

Overall Impression: Overall I'm not really impressed. I've been playing for one year now and I mostly play rock and metal and this guitar doesn't suit it. I have two other guitar (a steel string acoustic and an electric that are both great). I think the sound is the best part of this guitar as it is has a warm sound and good for when I just want to muck around but apart from that not really good for much else. I don't really think I'll buy this guitar again if it got stolen because I have two more and don't really need this one anymore. If it just had better action and didn't get out of tune as much as well as not being so easily scratched I would have liked it better. It's good for beginners but once you start getting more experience I suggest you get another better guitar. // 6

CG44 Starter Pack Reviewed by: Nirvanafan60, on november 03, 2010

Features: 12 frets until you have to bend over the body, fat frets, nylon strings, the tuning pegs kind of click when put into the right place. It came with three Ashton pics, a soft case, a Ashton strap, a full set of strings and a Beginners DVD. Classical Acoustic guitar classical body shape three thin white rings around the sound whole. Is a black satin colour looks like a laminated top and made out of some kind of maple, the head stock is un-named. The neck is glued on, gold coloured metal supporting the plastic tuning pegs. There is a white border around the guitar the dots on the fret board are made out of plastic and on the top of the neck are just black paint. Good for beginners as it states. // 8

Sound: The sound quality is reasonably good all the though the pull offs aren't that loud to be honest. And chocking can be over chocked sounding at times. Apart from that it is pretty good although seeing there are nylon strings on it is a bit muffled and it is really obvious when it is out of tune just a little bit. Good for Indie and blues music harmonics are surprisingly good on it pinch harmonics aren't that good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It is an average standard sloppy paint job on the underside where it joins the body and an obvious glue marks. The cover marks real; y easy, the seventh fret on the top of the neck is a bit smudged. Around the fret bars it wears and goes a dark gray colour. The 4D string snapped with in a month but that could of been my playing. It looks like it is in the picture and apart from the neck joining it is in alignment fine and the treble strings feel like dried hot glue. You can tell this wasn't meant to be a polished of piece of art. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The strings wear quickly but that's because there nylon. Its not ideal to use for lengthy periods as it tends to un-tune, the strap falls of because the strap button as stretched the the strap button whole way too wide. I wouldn't use it in a gig because it just doesn't perform well enough and would most definitely having something break on it but I would use it as a back up for short periods like a song or two. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar was great to learnt on being my first guitar I love to bits but really honestly it isn't that great. It does not suit my style of music because it just doesn't fit in unless it is a background loop or something. I have been playing for two years so I don't use it as much anymore and I own a Sammick electric guitar which is great. I would of asked for the product number. If it broke I wouldn't buy another one it would be a waste of $70.00, I love it because it was my first guitar and I learnt on it. I can't compare to anything else because it is a beginner set. I wish had a solid cover and a more revamped paint job and a solid neck. But nothing is perfect. // 8

More Ashton reviews rating category latest review
+ AG 131 7.4 Electric Guitars 05/29/2012