DM55SCEQ Review

7.5
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
DM55SCEQ Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2011

Purchased from: Music Central IOW

Features: Made in China, Designed in Australia, would not especially make me warm and fuzzy, but a few of these were left at the IOW shop in 2007 and I purchased mine as soon as I played it in the shop for the first time. 21 frets on a thin mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard. The guitar is a little smaller than traditional jumbo, its smaller lighter mahogany body is great. The overall build quality is actually very good, and even now on the eve of 2012, there is nothing wrong with it. The electronics is branded as an Ashton Prener SP2, which is the downfall of the guitar. The sliders crackle and the battery (9v) dies very quickly. // 7

Sound: The sound that comes from this guitar is mid to high. The bass E is not as pronounced as it should be. However their is a wide range of sound types, the percussiveness, bridge tapping, easy dynamics and easy to get different tones by playing higher or lower on the strings. Better dynamics than my Crafter, Yamaha and other entry level guitars I've had or played on. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is easy and low enough for me and I like low and easy. The bridge is good, finish and connection points are all beautifully finished. No buzz, no weird noises, or anything to report on after 5 years of playing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I knocked it hard one day on a table corner, only to leave a very small indent. I have to look for it, to show you. I would use this (and have) without a backup, many times. Strap buttons are solid and after hours of game time, its stood up. I am a very percussive player, have a lot of tunes which require a lot of banging, tapping, heavy string use. This guitar has not only withstood it, but you'd never know. // 9

Overall Impression: I play folk, reggae, soul, in a band, solo, and this little thing is my rock. I would not have thought it would be, but its become my go to guitar. For the price the quality is more than I expected. I highly recommend to anyone as either a work-horse or song writing tool. // 10

More Ashton reviews rating category latest review
+ AG 131 7.4 Electric Guitars 05/29/2012