AD20/SM Review

9.8
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
AD20/SM Reviewed by: Baby Joel, on november 18, 2008

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This beautiful Breedlove acoustic was made in Korea, in 2005. It has 20 frets on a rosewood fretboard. The top and back are all made of solid wood, but the sides are laminate. The top is made of solid Sitka Spruce. The back is solid mahogany, and the sides are laminate mahogany. The finish is a glossy, see-through finish, which shows the beauty of this guitar. It is a dreadnaught style, with no cutaway. It has a rosewood bridge, which honestly accents the guitar and makes it look incredible. It has no electronics, as it is purely acoustic. It has stunning looking Grover tuners. When purchased, I recieved a Breedlove gig-bag. This gigbag is really incredible. The Breedlove store calls it a hybrid bag, and it is basically a softshell case with three inches thick of padding, making it essentially a hardshell case with two really big zipper pouches. I also recieved a very informative Breedlove Owner's manual, and a spare bridge, truss rod, and a 4x4 Allen Wrench to adjust the truss rod action. // 9

Sound: The sound is beautiful. It has the perfect blend of all ranges, from a deep bass to a clear treble. I play just about any style on it, sometimes even acoustic metal, and it can fit any of those styles flawlessly. This guitar also is a harmonic machine. I can get a harmonic from every fret except the first. I have tried this, and each harmonic is clear and bright. The guitar is incredibly versatile. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly at the factory. There was no fret buzz at all, and it was tuned perfectly (Although, it was tuned to flats). The guitar has no flaws. Breedlove is known for it's incredible quality control, and this guitar shows it. There is no loose wood inside the body, no extra glue coming out of crevices. This guitar is flawlessly perfect. To me, the wood appears to be of extremely high quality, and the sounds prove it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: While walking through my house with this guitar, my clumsy hands have banged it on several doorways, walls, and tables. After every bang, I make sure to check the guitar for scratches or dents. There are absolutely no dents. The guitar is incredibly stable and reliable. The strap buttons are incredible (they look great too, in gold). Not once out of the many times playing with a strap has the strap fallen off. I would easily play this at a gig. The finish could last a life time. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar is incredible. It was the first acoustic I bought, and I feel spoiled with it. I feel like I should have been playing for at least five years in order to deserve this guitar, and even then I probably wouldn't deserve it. If it were stolen/lost, I would kill myself. Mainly becuase I wouldn't have it anymore, and it is a discontinued model. I love this model, and my only regret is not getting another three-hundred dollars for the rosewood version. When I was trying this one out, I tested it against many Taylors, Martins, and Gibsons. This guitar spoke to me. The stunning yet simple looks, the incredible balance of range. It was perfect. // 10

More Breedlove reviews rating category latest review
+ C250/CM 9.4 Acoustic Guitars 09/27/2012