AD20/SR Plus Review

9.2
review (1) pictures (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
AD20/SR Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 04, 2009

Purchased from: GuitarSource

Features: I'm not sure what year this was made. S/N seems to indicate it was made in 2006 or 2007. Made in Korea as part of Atlas series. It has 20 frets (14 clear of body). Solid sitka spruce top, solid rosewood back, laminate rosewood sides, mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard/bridge. The bridge is pinless (like Ovation). It has a gloss finish on the body and a satin finish on the neck. This is a non-cutaway dreadnaught style. No built-in electronics although I have recently added a Fishman Matrix Infinity under-saddle pickup and pre-amp system. This model also includes Breedlove's proprietary bridge truss system that gives added stability to the top and (they claim) increased sustain. The price included a hardshell case which is very heavy-duty. // 9

Sound: I define my style as "psychedelic country gospel." This suit's the style very well. I am currently using it with a Zoom A2 multi-FX pedal and a Peavey Escort 2000 PA system. The sound of this guitar is very full and rich. When I played it at the store it only took five minutes to realize that this is the sound I've been looking for over the past 35 years, since an acquaintance in high school let me play his '69 Martin D-35 for a few minutes. This has the sound Neil Young displayed on the song "Heart of Gold." // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I found no flaws in the construction. No loose or poorly filed frets. No gaps in the joints. No sloppy glue joints. The top is bookmatched --right down to the symmetrical bear claw pattern in the grain at each end of the bridge. The nut and saddle are made from tusq and they beat the less expensive bridges and nuts made from micarta. Breedlove stresses quality control and it shows in this guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have some acquaintances who play Breedloves who play Live every week. I don't play that much so I believe it should hold up. (It is less tempermental than Taylor guitars. I Live in the midwest and friends Who own Taylors always seem to have them in the shop for neck adjustments every time it rains.) // 9

Overall Impression: As I said, I describe my style as "psychedelic country gospel" and I believe this is a match made in heaven. The bass/boom of the rosewood helps to offset my tenor voice. If this were lost or stolen I would hunt the thief down and beat him within an inch of his life. Since this model appears to have been discontinued by Breedlove it is irreplaceable to me. I love the sound. When shopping I was comparing it to Taylor, Alvarez, and Martin guitars in the same price range. This was the best sounding guitar hands down. To get this sound from a Martin or Taylor I'd have had to pay three times as much. The only thing it lacks is the fact that Breedlove no longer makes this model. // 9

More Breedlove reviews rating category latest review
+ C250/CM 9.4 Acoustic Guitars 09/27/2012