AD25/SM Review

manufacturer: Breedlove date: 09/04/2008 category: Acoustic Guitars
Breedlove: AD25/SM
The AD25/SM is a solid top and back dreadnought. It is a bold acoustic electric guitar ready to play out complete with soft cutaway access to the upper fretboard.
 8.3
 9.6
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
AD25/SM Reviewed by: ZanasCross, on september 04, 2008

Features: 20 frets, rosewood fretboard, solid spruce (sitka) top, solid mahogany back, dreadnought (soft cutaway), glossed finish, fishman classic pickup, dove-tailed neck joint (sturdy), rosewood bridge, crafted in Korea. Pretty well a standard acoustic/electric with a solid top/back. // 9

Sound: This is the selling point for this guitar. The tone is absolutely gorgeous. It's a rich, thick, but still somewhat mellow tone that is very suitable for everything from blues, rock, jazzy, to just sitting around and strumming random songs around a campfire. The electronics are solid, nothing to exceptional, but still a very solid offering that won't leave you wanting more. The highs are clean and bright, the lows are very bassy, comparable to playing a 1000-2000 dollar Martin in that respect. I've been playing with Elixir strings, and the combination of the two is just what I need for playing rock/blues. I also dabble in playing some 'metal,' like the acoustic songs with weird dissonances, and the tone is perfect for this. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Again, a perfect 10 here. When I bought it, the only problem were some dead strings. I put some new ones on and it sang right away. The action is low, but I still have to really try to get fret buzz. The neck was perfectly aligned, the finish was top notch, the wood is beautiful, there were no flaws. The first time I plugged it in, it was perfect. No complaints here. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Simply put, this is a very reliable, durable, solid guitar. I'd say you'd have trouble breaking it without trying too. I'd gig with it, and I'm quite sure I'll be playing it for years and years to come. The finish seems to be good enough to last, nothing has warn off yet. Strap buttons are solid and I've had no problems with the strap falling off yet. The bracing system within the body of the guitar is borderline extravagant. It just looks solid within it. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 3 years now, and this is by far the best guitar I've played for under 1000 dollars. This is my third guitar (second acoustic) and will be my go to guitar whenever I feel like playing because it's just fun to play. I have no regrets with this purchase, and I still have yet to find something about it I don't like (other than gold tuning pegs, which I will be changing to silver; but that's just personal preference). I also really enjoy the fact there are no pegs to remove to change strings, the fact you can just slide the strings in and out without having to worry about possibly damaging the guitar whilst trying to pop those damn pegs out. The tone, playability, and solid construction are enough to make any acoustic fan happy. I'd highly recommend it. // 10

More Breedlove reviews rating category latest review
+ C250/CM 9.4 Acoustic Guitars 09/27/2012