CD28CE NT Review

manufacturer: Collins date: 01/06/2005 category: Acoustic Guitars
Collins: CD28CE NT
6 string Dreadnought with cutaway. Spruce top, mahogany back and sides, natural high gloss finish. Active pick-up, and 4 band active EQ.
 8.8
 9.2
 8.3
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
CD28CE NT Reviewed by: Dammit Missed T, on january 06, 2005

Purchased from: www.imuso.co.uk

Features: I'm not sure when it was made, I would guess at it being very recently though. It was made in Europe, probably Germany, but I can't say for certain. It has 20 frets, all easily reachable due to the cutaway. The neck is fairly slim, and allows for easy fast playing. It is a massive dreadnought body, with a single cutaway. It has mahogany sides and back, spruce top and is a natural gloss colour. There is an active pickup and 4 band active EQ. The EQ works really well to shape your sound, but if you turn it up too far the thing squeals like a bitch. The only real downside is that there is only one strap button, meaning that you have to tie the strap to the headstock, which I hate doing, but I'll buy a strap button for it at some stage. // 10

Sound: I play all sorts of music on this guitar, I play Folk, country, blues and some soft rock and it handles them all pretty well. I use it with either a Peavey Basic 60 60W Bass amp or my dad's Vox 30W Valvetronix, and it sounds pretty good, the EQ helps to shape the sound, the only problem is the feedback gets really bad when the amp is turned up above around half way. The tone is pretty good for a guitar in this price range, I've not heard better. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is great in general, everything is fitted nicely, the action is low but not too low and the tuners are fine. If you look really closely at some of the joints, some of them look quite messy, but you wouldn't notice usually, and it doesn't alter the sound at all. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would say that this guitar would stand up to the same bashing as you average 500 electro-acoustic would I've had it two months and haven't had a single problem with it. The finish seems strong and unlikely to scratch off easily, and the scratch plate appears to be securely glued. I would use live it without a back up. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Folk, some country, blues and soft rock on this guitar, and it seems to be a good all-rounder. I've been playing for about 9 months and own a fair bit of gear - Peavey 60W Bass amp, Stagg Warlock Style Bass, Vintage Metal Axxe Razer, Collins CD28CE NT, Hohner Concerta, and I use my Dad's Vox 30W Valvetronix and Squire Strat sometimes too. I bought this purely from A Total Guitar Review. If it were lost I would definitely buy this again, for the price, it is an awesome guitar. The only thing I wish is that the feedback wasn't so bad, but I've read that's pretty normal for an electro-acoustic. // 10

Comments